I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Marco Cod » Tue, 14 May 2002 20:55:12

Hi, I'm Marco from Italy.....I'm new to this newsgroup

I have a Digital Personal Workstation 500a.......and I would like to install
linux....

I downloaded the Red Hat 7.1 for alpha....

I read about installing linux on Alpha with Alphabios.....

....so I made a floppy with the linload.exe and miata files(hope miata is
the right one) that I find in the milo\images directory on cd 1......

then I setup Alphabios to boot from floppy.....

but when the Digital loads milo everything stops at:

Swapping to PALcode at 0x80000...

no more nothing....I can only reboot the machine.

Please help me....why this?

It is possible that the problem is the videocard?

there is another way to boot up Linux? Maybe without the Alphabios?

Thank you for your time
--
Marco Coda

ICQ 12751306

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Torsten Zirzlaf » Wed, 15 May 2002 15:46:38

Hi Marco.

> Hi, I'm Marco from Italy.....I'm new to this newsgroup

> I have a Digital Personal Workstation 500a.......and I would like to install
> linux....

  I'm on my way to install this system, too. But I prefer Debian :).

Quote:> I downloaded the Red Hat 7.1 for alpha....

> I read about installing linux on Alpha with Alphabios.....

> ....so I made a floppy with the linload.exe and miata files(hope miata is
> the right one) that I find in the milo\images directory on cd 1......

  Had you renamed the miata-milo file into milo?

Quote:> then I setup Alphabios to boot from floppy.....

> but when the Digital loads milo everything stops at:

> Swapping to PALcode at 0x80000...

> no more nothing....I can only reboot the machine.

  It take a few seconds till the MILO promt greets you.

Quote:> Please help me....why this?

> It is possible that the problem is the videocard?

  Naw, you will run into it later when, you setup X.

Quote:> there is another way to boot up Linux? Maybe without the Alphabios?

  Yes via SRM, but then you had to use aboot and fdisk for partioning
your hadrdrives.

> Thank you for your time
> --
> Marco Coda

> ICQ 12751306

Ciao

  Torsten

--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten Zirzlaff
        70190 Stuttgart

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'                  |

Post by Marco Cod » Wed, 15 May 2002 17:13:19

Quote:> > I downloaded the Red Hat 7.1 for alpha....

> > I read about installing linux on Alpha with Alphabios.....

> > ....so I made a floppy with the linload.exe and miata files(hope miata
is
> > the right one) that I find in the milo\images directory on cd 1......

>   Had you renamed the miata-milo file into milo?

yes

Quote:> > then I setup Alphabios to boot from floppy.....

> > but when the Digital loads milo everything stops at:

> > Swapping to PALcode at 0x80000...

> > no more nothing....I can only reboot the machine.

>   It take a few seconds till the MILO promt greets you.

I waited for more than 10 min...  :-)

Quote:

> > It is possible that the problem is the videocard?

>   Naw, you will run into it later when, you setup X.

But why all the people that have a PCI matrox don't have this kind of
problem?
> > Thank you for your time
> > --
> > Marco Coda

> > ICQ 12751306

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Marco Cod » Wed, 15 May 2002 18:49:31

Now I tryied to install Red Hat 7.1 from SRM because from Alpha bios I was
not able......

I started the SRM console.....I insert the first floppy ....I type the boot
string..... the machine load everything.....but at the end the screen i all
black.....
then I try to insert the sencond floppy (with the ramdisk) and push enter
button.....the machine load the second floppy.......and then goes to read
the CDrom
but the screen is always completely black........so I can't do nothing when
it stops probably at the prompt....

--
Marco Coda

ICQ 12751306

Post by gl » Wed, 15 May 2002 21:10:13

> I started the SRM console.....I insert the first floppy ....I type the
> boot string..... the machine load everything.....but at the end the
> screen i all black.....
> --
> Marco Coda

Maybe the redhat install goes into vesa or vga mode which isn't supported
by your graphic card.
Which do you use?
You can boot into interactive mode by typing this at SRM:

Quote:>>> boot dva0 -fl i

next you should load the kernel manually when aboot prompts and specify
vga mode normal

aboot> b /vmlinuz vga=normal

or boot /path/to/vmlinuz-whaterver... my memory could be faulty... hope it
works! :) BTW: why not debian? Redhat Linux AXP is dead and resurrected
for this release and no more, as The New HP would not pay them for another
release...

Bye
Ciao
gl :)

PS: WOW, another PWS 500a user in my country! Now we're two!

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Marco Cod » Wed, 15 May 2002 22:20:15

I have found in that my videocard "Powerstorm" is not supported by Redhat
Linux......
....have to buy a used Matrox....

thanx.....

--
Marco Coda

ICQ 12751306

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Reinhard Eigne » Thu, 16 May 2002 02:48:17

Yes that's the better way :-)
I have also a DEC PowerStorm graphics card (4D60T) - only supported by WinNT
and Tru64.
I bought a used "Elsa Gloria Synergy". This card works great.
At this time I used SuSE Linux 7.1 AXP but now I'm working Tru64 UNIX.

ciao
Reinhard

> I have found in that my videocard "Powerstorm" is not supported by Redhat
> Linux......
> ....have to buy a used Matrox....

> thanx.....

> --
> Marco Coda

> ICQ 12751306

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Paul » Thu, 16 May 2002 05:44:27

Quote:>Hi, I'm Marco from Italy.....I'm new to this newsgroup

>I have a Digital Personal Workstation 500a.......and I would like to install
>linux....

>I downloaded the Red Hat 7.1 for alpha....

>I read about installing linux on Alpha with Alphabios.....

>....so I made a floppy with the linload.exe and miata files(hope miata is
>the right one) that I find in the milo\images directory on cd 1......

>then I setup Alphabios to boot from floppy.....

>but when the Digital loads milo everything stops at:

>Swapping to PALcode at 0x80000...

>no more nothing....I can only reboot the machine.

>Please help me....why this?

>It is possible that the problem is the videocard?

>there is another way to boot up Linux? Maybe without the Alphabios?

>Thank you for your time

On a PWS500a(u) it is easy if you (can) boot in SRM.
set the os_type to UNIX
set boot_osflags ""
set boot_dev to your CDROM device

Place the redhat 7.1 alpha disk #1 in the CD-drive
(or the 7.2 beta, works better)

type boot, and follow the questions, you will be guided... even the
disk will be partitioned....

I did this on my work on a pws500au
(I wish that it was so easy on my XL266, where i must use ARC)

Paul.

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Marco Cod » Thu, 16 May 2002 17:34:27

Quote:> On a PWS500a(u) it is easy if you (can) boot in SRM.
> set the os_type to UNIX
> set boot_osflags ""
> set boot_dev to your CDROM device

> Place the redhat 7.1 alpha disk #1 in the CD-drive
> (or the 7.2 beta, works better)

> type boot, and follow the questions, you will be guided... even the
> disk will be partitioned....

> I did this on my work on a pws500au
> (I wish that it was so easy on my XL266, where i must use ARC)

> Paul.

I tryed....but the cd starts to read vmlinux files.....hangs...and an error
message appear......

Then I tryed with the 2 floppy.

I insert the first floppy ....I type the boot string..... the machine load
everything.....but at the end the screen i all black.....

Then I try to insert the sencond floppy (with the ramdisk) and push enter
button.....the machine load the second floppy.......and then goes to read
the CDrom

but the screen is always completely black........so I can't do nothing when
it stops probably at the prompt....

Thanks

I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Post by Stephen Lewi » Fri, 17 May 2002 00:57:10

You will eventually have to get a video card that is
supported by RedHat but if you have a dumb terminal
you can install using the console on a serial port.
Connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and try booting

Quote:>>> boot -flags 1
or
>>> boot -flags 2

this should use the serial console during the install,
Stephen Lewis

> > On a PWS500a(u) it is easy if you (can) boot in SRM.
> > set the os_type to UNIX
> > set boot_osflags ""
> > set boot_dev to your CDROM device

> > Place the redhat 7.1 alpha disk #1 in the CD-drive
> > (or the 7.2 beta, works better)

> > type boot, and follow the questions, you will be guided... even the
> > disk will be partitioned....

> > I did this on my work on a pws500au
> > (I wish that it was so easy on my XL266, where i must use ARC)

> > Paul.

> I tryed....but the cd starts to read vmlinux files.....hangs...and an error
> message appear......

> Then I tryed with the 2 floppy.

> I insert the first floppy ....I type the boot string..... the machine load
> everything.....but at the end the screen i all black.....

> Then I try to insert the sencond floppy (with the ramdisk) and push enter
> button.....the machine load the second floppy.......and then goes to read
> the CDrom

> but the screen is always completely black........so I can't do nothing when
> it stops probably at the prompt....

> Thanks

1. Installing Linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a

Hi All,

I am seeking advice on where/how I would obtain a MILO image that will
work on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a

It is a PCI Alpha and only about 6 months old - it is based on the
500Mhz 21164 processor and the Pyxis chip.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Matt

2. Why can't I mount anything?

3. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a, $3000

4. Adobe Acrobat for Solaris x86

5. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a - $3000

6. Cyrix Pentiums

7. Digital Personal Workstation 500a/au

8. Backup software for Solaris 2.5

9. install redhat in Digital Alpha Workstation 500a

10. Boot problem on personal workstation 500a

11. Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

12. Personal Workstation 500a

13. FS: Dec Alpha Personal Workstation 500a