Will any SCSI HDD do for AlphaServer 2000?

Will any SCSI HDD do for AlphaServer 2000?

Post by Alexander Fon » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:06:43

Hi guys!

I have a 2 GB HDD in an AlphaServer 2000 (that was donated by
rebootQuebec) was ripped from another AlphaServer.  We're looking to
upgrade it, since 2 GB isn't enough space for what we plan on doing with
it.

So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD for
this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

The reason I'm asking is because I remember the manual said something
about certain parts needing to be Alpha in order too boot from them (like
the network card and tape), though I'm not sure if it applies to the hard
disk.

The pedestal also has a StorageWorks rack, but it's completely empty.  Is
it possible to find trays for these things to populate it?  We have a
whole bunch of s*500 MB SCSI hard disks lying around which we picked
up from the garbage (probably from dead Suns), but since the 2000
pedestal has only two 5 1/4" bays and a 3 1/2" bay, it's rather
difficult... anyone know if and how that would be possible?

       Sex is better than logic. You can't PROVE it, but it is!

Post by Jürgen Schr?de » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:59:57

: So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD for
: this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

Quite shure any Disk will boot.

From which Disk and what Partion/Slice the alpha has to boot is in the
console options/parameters (if you will try it from a different SCSI-ID)
or you can add it to the boot command for testing.

Juergen

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:03:41

> I have a 2 GB HDD in an AlphaServer 2000 (that was donated by
> rebootQuebec) was ripped from another AlphaServer.  We're looking to
> upgrade it, since 2 GB isn't enough space for what we plan on doing with
> it.

> So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD for
> this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

Any SCSI disk should work, as long as SRM can handle the controller.
I assume you already have a working controller.

Quote:> The reason I'm asking is because I remember the manual said something
> about certain parts needing to be Alpha in order too boot from them (like
> the network card and tape), though I'm not sure if it applies to the hard
> disk.

SCSI hard disks are standard, and usually behave as expected.  Tapes
need a little more magic, e.g. they use different block sizes.  Since
network cards are totally non-standard, it needs to be one that SRM
knows.  This happens to be the ones made by Digital (what a
coincidence).

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Glenn and Mary Everhar » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:24:47

> Hi guys!

> I have a 2 GB HDD in an AlphaServer 2000 (that was donated by
> rebootQuebec) was ripped from another AlphaServer.  We're looking to
> upgrade it, since 2 GB isn't enough space for what we plan on doing with
> it.

> So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD for
> this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

> The reason I'm asking is because I remember the manual said something
> about certain parts needing to be Alpha in order too boot from them (like
> the network card and tape), though I'm not sure if it applies to the hard
> disk.

> The pedestal also has a StorageWorks rack, but it's completely empty.  Is
> it possible to find trays for these things to populate it?  We have a
> whole bunch of s*500 MB SCSI hard disks lying around which we picked
> up from the garbage (probably from dead Suns), but since the 2000
> pedestal has only two 5 1/4" bays and a 3 1/2" bay, it's rather
> difficult... anyone know if and how that would be possible?

most any SCSI disk of recent vintage will work..provided you use VMS 7.1
or later.

Will any SCSI HDD do for AlphaServer 2000?

Post by Jack Peacoc » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:55:39

Quote:

> > So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD
for
> > this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

> most any SCSI disk of recent vintage will work..provided you use VMS 7.1
> or later.

Based on experience I'd recommend you stay away from any old Micropolis or
Quantum Fireball drives.  They have problems with command tag queueing.  I
couldn't get either one to work reliably on VMS.  The Fireball drives will
work on a Mylex based RAID controller (i.e. AS 2100) if you turn command
queueing off, but they are sloooowwww.  I haven't had any problems with
various Seagate, Quantum Atlas, and IBM drives.
    Jack Peacock

Post by bob smit » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:10:53

>> Hi guys!

>> I have a 2 GB HDD in an AlphaServer 2000 (that was donated by
>> rebootQuebec) was ripped from another AlphaServer.  We're looking to
>> upgrade it, since 2 GB isn't enough space for what we plan on doing with
>> it.

>> So, my question is, is it possible to use ANY sort of SCSI 50-pin HDD for
>> this?  Or does it have to be an Alpha part?

>> The reason I'm asking is because I remember the manual said something
>> about certain parts needing to be Alpha in order too boot from them (like
>> the network card and tape), though I'm not sure if it applies to the hard
>> disk.

>> The pedestal also has a StorageWorks rack, but it's completely empty.  Is
>> it possible to find trays for these things to populate it?  We have a
>> whole bunch of s*500 MB SCSI hard disks lying around which we picked
>> up from the garbage (probably from dead Suns), but since the 2000
>> pedestal has only two 5 1/4" bays and a 3 1/2" bay, it's rather
>> difficult... anyone know if and how that would be possible?

Do you have an exeternal scsi box you can hookup?
Assuming you have 50pin scsi controller/cables, you can put 68pin drive
on the box iwth an adapter, 10 bucks or less if you shop around, and
assuming you are running Linux or one of the BSDs, you should be fine.
IF you are running vms, and don't go to 7.1 or later, you might have
a problem as Glenn said.
Hope this helps
bob