Booting Alpha XL300 without a Keyboard

Post by Shado » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

One other thing, can an Alpha XL300 run or be made to run Tru64 Unix?

Thanks,

shadow

Post by Jaap Schelleke » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
>using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
>keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
>everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

As far as I know ... no I forgot the adress but there used to be a web
page of people running a cluster of these things with some info on this
subject.

Quote:>One other thing, can an Alpha XL300 run or be made to run Tru64 Unix?

Also not.. this is an NT only box, no srm available

Jaap

Post by David Uzzel » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >Hi,

> >Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
> >using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
> >keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
> >everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

Yes there is a way you need to use com 1 and it needs to be  one of the
listed terminals.
As far as I know that how.

I use a Wyse 30 and leave the keyboard attached burried under the rack.

I have automated the boot process for RH6 and works fine.

Quote:

> As far as I know ... no I forgot the adress but there used to be a web
> page of people running a cluster of these things with some info on this
> subject.

> >One other thing, can an Alpha XL300 run or be made to run Tru64 Unix?

> Also not.. this is an NT only box, no srm available

NT or Linux.
Quote:> Jaap

Post by Bruce Alle » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
> using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
> keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
> everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know of any way to do this -- if you find one please let me know,
as
I have 52 of these machines and would love to ditch the keyboards.

Bruce

Post by Alex Rhomber » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
> > using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
> > keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
> > everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

> I don't know of any way to do this -- if you find one please let me know,
> as
> I have 52 of these machines and would love to ditch the keyboards.

The SRM console tries to talk through the serial port if the machine is
running headless.

I run my 12 UP2000 with a terminal server, which translates 16 serial
ports to Ethernet and costs about $2-3k.

I have seen something at the Avalon Cluster website that they use a
custom built network to connect to the serial ports

- Alex

Post by Bruce Alle » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > > Is there a way to boot the Alpha XL300 without a keyboard attached?  I'm
> > > using mine as a headless server and would like it to boot without any
> > > keyboard attached.  I've been getting an error ( forgot what it says )
> > > everytime.  Any help would be appreciated.

> > I don't know of any way to do this -- if you find one please let me know,
> > as
> > I have 52 of these machines and would love to ditch the keyboards.

> The SRM console tries to talk through the serial port if the machine is
> running headless.

> I run my 12 UP2000 with a terminal server, which translates 16 serial
> ports to Ethernet and costs about $2-3k.

> I have seen something at the Avalon Cluster website that they use a
> custom built network to connect to the serial ports

You'll notice that the initial inquiry was about an Alpha XL300.  This uses
ARC not SRM.  The machine will not boot unless a keyboard responds
during the initial bios boot-up check.

Bruce

Booting Alpha XL300 without a Keyboard

Post by bill » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Folks,

This is a real kludge solution, but in the PC world
there are companies that sell widget/dongle thingies
called "keyboard eliminators" which plug into mother-
boards' keyboard ports.  Inside the "eliminator" is a
microcontroller CPU & firmware that respond to KB
test/initialization signals.  The system is convinced
it actually has a real keyboard connected and boots
happily without error.

Obviously these devices are much simpler than $10 PC
keyboards so they are priced 4X or 5X as much ;-)

These were quite commonly used in Novell networks,
etc. back in AT/386/486 days before most PC BIOSes
had something like a "boot w/o error even if there's
no keyboard attached" setting.

Try     http://www.vetra.com

Rose Electronics (??? IIRC) may also do something
like this, can't remember their website....

Good luck,
Bill

William M. Wiese Jr.
Sr. Engineer
Cignal Global Communications
2041 Pioneer Ct.,  Suite #17
San Mateo, CA  94403
(650) 341 - 4761  (voice)
(650) 341 - 4768  (fax)
(650) 579 - 9778  (alt.)

"The opinions expressed herein are
 mine alone and are not necessarily
 those of my employer or colleagues."

1. Installing Linux on ALPHA XL300

Hi All,

I don't know if its the cdrom, but everytime I try to install Linux on
my Alpha it would hang when trying to initialize the cdrom.  I'm trying
to install Redhat Linux 5.0.  Has anybody have any success installing
Linux on an ALPHA XL300.  Any suggestions?
I'll be trying to install Redhat Linux 4.2 to see if I have better luck.

One other question for all you XL300 owners, do I have to use 70ns
memory or can I use 60ns.  I tried 60ns simms but my computer didn't
like it, don't know if I can use 60ns or if the memory's bad.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shadow

2. how to set DHCP server in RedHat?

3. Question about Alpha XL300 and Linux

4. WordPerfect7 LOCKS UP

5. Alpha XL300 with ZLXp1 Vid Card

6. Why my https was no response on Apache 1.3.14?

7. alpha xl300 hangs when running x86

8. How to install an internal TPlink 336 modem (Davicom)?

9. Linux 4.2 and the DEC Alpha XL300

10. Redhat 7.2 vs Alpha XL300 installation?!?

11. Alpha XL300: Doorstop or useful?

12. FreeBSD on Alpha XL300

13. Boot without a keyboard