Alpha 166 for Linux or Cyrix 200

Post by Harvey Rubac » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I was at a computer show and found a vendor with a 166 alpha chip and
motherboard.  The board had  no cache memory on it.  The board and chip
are $60.  Has ide and scsi support. This should make for a good  system
to learn Linux on  or will it equal my converting a spare motherboard
with a cyrix 200 mmx on an HX chipset.  The other option is to use a
486/100.

The primary useage will be internet browsing and Star office.  I also
would like to teach my self samba and maybe convert our office.

Any opinions.  If this is viable I can get this board on Sunday

Thank you in advance

Harvey

Post by Joachim Wesne » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I was at a computer show and found a vendor with a 166 alpha chip and
> motherboard.  The board had  no cache memory on it.  The board and chip
> are $60.  Has ide and scsi support. This should make for a good  system

This sounds pretty cool. Even if this would be a relatively slow machine
by todays means, I could use such a thing for Alpha assembler
development at home. Where did you see that? Do they have more of that ?
Is this in the States ? I wonder if I could get my american friend to
get one for me.

Cheers

Joachim

Post by Joe Novos » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: I was at a computer show and found a vendor with a 166 alpha chip and
: motherboard.  The board had  no cache memory on it.  The board and chip
                                  ^^^^^^  Without cache, this will be
miserably slow.  So slow that a 486 could outrun it.

This is probably a noname board and will accept either 256k or 1M cache.
I have a noname with 256k (32M main) and it runs about as fast as a 486/133
or a slow pentium (<100).  I think with more ram and cache it might improve.

: are $60.  Has ide and scsi support. This should make for a good  system

: to learn Linux on  or will it equal my converting a spare motherboard
: with a cyrix 200 mmx on an HX chipset.  The other option is to use a
: 486/100.

: The primary useage will be internet browsing and Star office.  I also
: would like to teach my self samba and maybe convert our office.

I'm not aware that these applications (star office mainly) are available on
the alpha platform.

You can probably get a web browswer, but I don't think you can get Netscape
(yet)

Having an alpha system is "cool" but I wouldn't make it my primary system.
Unless you want to be on the cutting edge of development.

Good luck,

--
Joe Novosel

This address may not be used for unsolicited email.
***** Repeal the 16th amendment!! Support a national retail sales tax! *****

Alpha 166 for Linux or Cyrix 200

Post by Harvey Rubac » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Joe,

Based on your answer I should dedicate the 486 100 or the Cyrix MX-200MMX to
Linux.  If cache were available how fast would the system be?  I figured an
Alpha chip even with Risc should outperform a comparable Pentium.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Harvey

> : I was at a computer show and found a vendor with a 166 alpha chip and
> : motherboard.  The board had  no cache memory on it.  The board and chip
>                                   ^^^^^^  Without cache, this will be
> miserably slow.  So slow that a 486 could outrun it.

> This is probably a noname board and will accept either 256k or 1M cache.
> I have a noname with 256k (32M main) and it runs about as fast as a 486/133
> or a slow pentium (<100).  I think with more ram and cache it might improve.

> : are $60.  Has ide and scsi support. This should make for a good  system

> : to learn Linux on  or will it equal my converting a spare motherboard
> : with a cyrix 200 mmx on an HX chipset.  The other option is to use a
> : 486/100.

> : The primary useage will be internet browsing and Star office.  I also
> : would like to teach my self samba and maybe convert our office.

> I'm not aware that these applications (star office mainly) are available on
> the alpha platform.

> You can probably get a web browswer, but I don't think you can get Netscape
> (yet)

> Having an alpha system is "cool" but I wouldn't make it my primary system.
> Unless you want to be on the cutting edge of development.

> Good luck,

> --
> Joe Novosel

> This address may not be used for unsolicited email.
> ***** Repeal the 16th amendment!! Support a national retail sales tax! *****

1. Linux on P6-200 or Alpha-166?

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new PC to run Linux (2.0.20) and found a
good price on a Alpha box (166 MHz).  I have no experence with
any Digital hardware and was wondering if someone could give
me an idea how the speed of that Alpha box would compare with
a P6-200 (pro).  Does Linux take advantage of the 64 bit Alpha?

Is there anything else I should watch out for with the Alpha box?
Is all the same hardware supported (as on Intel)?
Do all the executables (ELF & a.out) run without recompiling?
Any other problems with the Alpha?  Or should I play it safe
with an Intel i386 based machine?  (I don't care about running
MS Windows or Dos -- I know the Alpha will run NT if I need it).

---

I also have my eye on a DUAL P6-150 (Intel MPS).
Does Linux support this?

System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA

2. my 1st kernel build

3. Power Cycle Message - Alpha Station 200 4/166

4. atof() precision problem with FreeBSD

5. Upgrading AS 200/166 -> AS 200/233

6. Telebit Dialing USR's on OS5

7. boot failure AlpaStation 200 4/166

8. nfs to machines with multiple IP addresses?

9. AlphaBIOS on Alphastation 200 4/166

10. Overclocking P5 MMX 166 and 200

11. 166 - 200

12. 2.1.129 on AS 200 4/166

13. NetBSD1.6 on AlphaStation 200/166 locks up Soundcard