Good Alpha Linux system

Post by Douglas H. Bors » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> [...]
> At this point I am also a bit concerned with future of Alpha....
> [...]

               Compaq pledges volume sales for Alpha
               -------------------------------------

The headline above is from http://www.eet.com/news/98/1012news/compaq.html

The article starts:

    NEW YORK In formally announcing the completion of its acquisition
    of Digital Equipment Corp., Compaq Computer Corp.'s chief executive,
    Eckhard  Pfeiffer, made a surprisingly strong statement of support
    for the Alpha  microprocessor and Digital's Unix operating system
    as part of a new corporate  focus on 64-bit computing.

   "Compaq will support leadership in 64-bit computing by moving Alpha
    and  Digital Unix into volume platforms," Pfeiffer said in New York
    today.

  -doug

Good Alpha Linux system

Post by Courageou » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > [...]
> > At this point I am also a bit concerned with future of Alpha....
> > [...]
>    "Compaq will support leadership in 64-bit computing by moving Alpha
>     and  Digital Unix into volume platforms," Pfeiffer said in New York
>     today.

I don't doubt it one bit! Have any of you seen the spec
ratings on the new 21264? SpecInt95... 40! SpecFp95... 60!
Compare the fp of the 21264 to a 400 mhz PII's measely
12.5. Bleah.

The 21264 is going to kick some major butt! My prediction
is that NT Alpha will be the 3d rendering platform of choice
by the end of 1999.

Merced at this point is just a wildcard. We'll have to
wait and see on that one. VLIW? Dunno about that.

C.

1. What is a good Alpha system to play with?

I am looking for a cheap Alpha system to play around with (with Linux).
I've seen some digital multias up for sale, but I don't think they're
really cool. In the end I want to use it as a server for my home network
(for IP masquerading and a small webserver).
I don't know anything about Alpha. Are there any complete systems I
should look for? I think a processor 133~233mhz suits my needs.

TIA,
Bigs

2. merging logs of different servers or Javascript?

3. ALpha Linux not good for scientific computations?

4. please help

5. Matlab on Alpha (Linux); any good?

6. Problem w/ncurses 1.9.3 and color

7. Linux alpha---a good buy?

8. awk script to extract info from a report

9. How good is linux on a alpha (axp)

10. Good 1024x768 Card for Alpha Linux

11. Need a good scsi card for Alpha NT and Linux

12. Comm: Alpha Linux/NT systems

13. RBF File System for Linux v0.53 (alpha)