boot from SRM into ARC/AlphaBIOS ?

Post by Dirk Kleinhesselin » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

By looking around on the SRM Firmware CD and DEC FTP site, I was able to
make a bootable floppy disk using tools I found that will boot an
AlphaStation200 from SRM into the ARC console without flashing the ROM.
The AlphaStation is supposed to be able to hold both consoles but this
particular one at work says it doesn't have the ARC console in ROM.
With the boot floppy I made, I can: boot dva0 and get the ARC going.
Does anyone know if this is possible with other Alpha systems ? I have
an AlphaPC164 that I flashed with SRM from ARC at home and I have one
disk with NT on it and I'd like to look at something on the disk without
reflashing ROM.  Anyone know if it's possible to make a SRM-> ARC
bootable floppy for systems besides AlphaStation 200 ?

Thanks,

Dirk

boot from SRM into ARC/AlphaBIOS ?

Post by geerten kuipe » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On a PC164 you can use the "NT" or "ARC" command. You need a DOS-formatted
floppy with the <something>.ROM firmware image on it. No need to make it
bootable.

Good luck!

Groeten,
Geerten.

Quote:>    Anyone know if it's possible to make a SRM-> ARC