how do i boot from MILO?

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:46:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

> Last week I was having troubles booting my alpha LX164 system into the
> install program. I've figured that all out.

> Now, I can't figure out what to type from the MILO> prompt to start up the
> O/S for the first time.

> milo finds the various partitions (sda1, sda2, etc), but I don't know what
> type to boot (or at least nothing I type is recognized).

Typing things at random is surely not the way to make something to boot. It
would be good to know what you really installed.

Quote:

> I've tried such things as:

> boot sda2:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda2

If your /boot is not mounted from a separate partition (not a smart move for
various reasons) and your kernel and related files resides in /boot then this
has a zero chance to work.  If these are separate partitions then "sda2" in
both places cannot be right.

Quote:> boot sda2:/boot/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda2

Are you sure that you have /boot/vmlinux.gz file?  Remember that milo does
not handle symbolic links.  Likely this is something like
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.... whatever.  /etc/milo.conf may help to reduce typing and
will make the whole setup more flexible.

Quote:> boot sda2:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 etc.

Moreover if your kernel loads drivers to access your hard disk from initrd
then you will not have much of luck without it. If you are using ext3
filesystem then drivers for that may reside in initrd as well.

I do not know if milos are capable of getting initrd loaded; I heard mixed
reports about that.  If not then you need a custom kernel to get your system
started from a hard drive.

Quote:> Can anyone provide some guidance?

As it was suggested previously a smart move would be to use SRM instead if
you do not have really good reasons to do otherwise.

Quote:> I've tried using cd and ls to poke around
> the disk, but ls doesn't seem to work properly.

I doubt it.  If this is really the case then get better milo.  But you can
boot your distribution media in a "rescue" mode (or switch to a text
console), mount your disk partitions and poke around. If you will do mounting
in a reasonable way then you can use 'chroot' to "switch" to your installed
system and take over from there.

   Michal

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: The Connemara Arsonist (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

how do i boot from MILO?

Post by Dave Lan » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:36:23

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:46:00 GMT, "Michal Jaegermann"

Quote:

>If your /boot is not mounted from a separate partition (not a smart move for
>various reasons) and your kernel and related files resides in /boot then this
>has a zero chance to work.  If these are separate partitions then "sda2" in
>both places cannot be right.

"/boot" isn't a separate partition from "/" --- I'll try that.

Quote:>Are you sure that you have /boot/vmlinux.gz file?  Remember that milo does
>not handle symbolic links.  Likely this is something like
>/boot/vmlinux-2.4.... whatever.  /etc/milo.conf may help to reduce typing and
>will make the whole setup more flexible.

I now know the exact names of the kernal files (from looking at the
disk post install, but not post reboot using the install virtual
terminal. There are files called:

vmlinux-2.4.9-32.5 and
vmlinuz-2.4.9-32.5

I have tried both, and neither works. There is also a file called
bootlx.

Quote:>Moreover if your kernel loads drivers to access your hard disk from initrd
>then you will not have much of luck without it. If you are using ext3
>filesystem then drivers for that may reside in initrd as well.

I'm using ext2 as a primary partition -- is there a simpler file linux
file system than that? (which is supported by disk druid?

Quote:>As it was suggested previously a smart move would be to use SRM instead if
>you do not have really good reasons to do otherwise.

Well, the bios is ARC, not SRM so that isn't an option.

Quote:>> I've tried using cd and ls to poke around
>> the disk, but ls doesn't seem to work properly.

>I doubt it.  If this is really the case then get better milo.  But you can
>boot your distribution media in a "rescue" mode (or switch to a text
>console), mount your disk partitions and poke around. If you will do mounting
>in a reasonable way then you can use 'chroot' to "switch" to your installed
>system and take over from there.

I did that to get the kernel files as noted above.

... Dave

ps. am off on vacation for a couple of weeks so will have to get back
at this when I return.

how do i boot from MILO?

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:44:16

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:46:00 GMT, "Michal Jaegermann"

> I now know the exact names of the kernal files (from looking at the
> disk post install, but not post reboot using the install virtual
> terminal. There are files called:

> vmlinux-2.4.9-32.5 and
> vmlinuz-2.4.9-32.5

Ah, so it looks like that we are talking about RH7.2-Alpha and these
files reside in /boot/.  These kernels do not have LEGACY_LOAD_ADDRESS
set, but it appears that your milo can handle that, and do not have any
SCSI drivers built in so they have to be loaded from initrd before you
will can access your hard disk.

In ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedHat/7.2-alpha/updates/rpms/alpha/
there is now kernel-milo-2.4.18-27.7.x.hp.alpha.rpm.  It may be better
suited for loading from milo.

Quote:

> I have tried both, and neither works.

"Neither works" is very imprecise.  Probabaly they both work exactly
as designed, although not to your satisfaction, and use this
'vmlinuz-...' one.  If you want advice tell _exactly_ what fails and
where.

Quote:> There is also a file called
> bootlx.

This is something for use by 'aboot' loader (SRM).

Quote:> I'm using ext2 as a primary partition -- is there a simpler file linux
> file system than that? (which is supported by disk druid?

ext2 is built-in but first you need to access your disk and this
will not happen without a driver loaded one way or another.

Quote:>>As it was suggested previously a smart move would be to use SRM instead if
>>you do not have really good reasons to do otherwise.

> Well, the bios is ARC, not SRM so that isn't an option.

Shrug!  Switching firmware, once you found images on the net, is a few
minutes work.  You have LX and SRM for LX does exist.

All in all it seems that you are hell-bent on doing things hard way.
Your choice, and you can learn few things in the process, :-) but
surely this is not usually recommended.

In case you would try use SRM after all a warning: SRM firmware
requires on a boot disk different type of a partition table and
Disk Druid will NOT make that switch for you once _some_ partition
table already exists.

Quote:>>But you can
>>boot your distribution media in a "rescue" mode (or switch to a text
>>console), mount your disk partitions and poke around. If you will do mounting
>>in a reasonable way then you can use 'chroot' to "switch" to your installed
>>system and take over from there.

> I did that to get the kernel files as noted above.

Well, then you can start a network and pull on your disk whatever
you need/desire, build custom kernels with all drivers you need for
booting already built-in so they do not need initrd and are also
configured to use with milo and whatever..

If you have a file /etc/aboot.conf then look inside for examples
of boot commands.  There are small differences when booting from milo
but the gist is the same.  To create /etc/milo.conf you will have
to use an editor.

There are various links and documents on www.alphalinux.org.

  Michal

how do i boot from MILO?

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:46:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10) From:

> Last week I was having troubles booting my alpha LX164 system into the
> install program. I've figured that all out.

> Now, I can't figure out what to type from the MILO> prompt to start up the
> O/S for the first time.

> milo finds the various partitions (sda1, sda2, etc), but I don't know what
> type to boot (or at least nothing I type is recognized).

Typing things at random is surely not the way to make something to boot. It
would be good to know what you really installed.

Quote:

> I've tried such things as:

> boot sda2:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda2

If your /boot is not mounted from a separate partition (not a smart move for
various reasons) and your kernel and related files resides in /boot then this
has a zero chance to work.  If these are separate partitions then "sda2" in
both places cannot be right.

Quote:> boot sda2:/boot/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda2

Are you sure that you have /boot/vmlinux.gz file?  Remember that milo does
not handle symbolic links.  Likely this is something like
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.... whatever.  /etc/milo.conf may help to reduce typing and
will make the whole setup more flexible.

Quote:> boot sda2:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 etc.

Moreover if your kernel loads drivers to access your hard disk from initrd
then you will not have much of luck without it. If you are using ext3
filesystem then drivers for that may reside in initrd as well.

I do not know if milos are capable of getting initrd loaded; I heard mixed
reports about that.  If not then you need a custom kernel to get your system
started from a hard drive.

Quote:> Can anyone provide some guidance?

As it was suggested previously a smart move would be to use SRM instead if
you do not have really good reasons to do otherwise.

Quote:> I've tried using cd and ls to poke around
> the disk, but ls doesn't seem to work properly.

I doubt it.  If this is really the case then get better milo.  But you can
boot your distribution media in a "rescue" mode (or switch to a text
console), mount your disk partitions and poke around. If you will do mounting
in a reasonable way then you can use 'chroot' to "switch" to your installed
system and take over from there.

   Michal

-+- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 + Origin: The Connemara Arsonist (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Admin of SHS.

Post by Dave Lan » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:36:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:46:00 GMT, "Michal Jaegermann"

Quote:

>If your /boot is not mounted from a separate partition (not a smart move for
>various reasons) and your kernel and related files resides in /boot then
this
>has a zero chance to work.  If these are separate partitions then "sda2" in
>both places cannot be right.

"/boot" isn't a separate partition from "/" --- I'll try that.

Quote:>Are you sure that you have /boot/vmlinux.gz file?  Remember that milo does
>not handle symbolic links.  Likely this is something like
>/boot/vmlinux-2.4.... whatever.  /etc/milo.conf may help to reduce typing
and
>will make the whole setup more flexible.

I now know the exact names of the kernal files (from looking at the disk post
install, but not post reboot using the install virtual terminal. There are
files called:

vmlinux-2.4.9-32.5 and
vmlinuz-2.4.9-32.5

I have tried both, and neither works. There is also a file called bootlx.

Quote:>Moreover if your kernel loads drivers to access your hard disk from initrd
>then you will not have much of luck without it. If you are using ext3
>filesystem then drivers for that may reside in initrd as well.

I'm using ext2 as a primary partition -- is there a simpler file linux file
system than that? (which is supported by disk druid?

Quote:>As it was suggested previously a smart move would be to use SRM instead if
>you do not have really good reasons to do otherwise.

Well, the bios is ARC, not SRM so that isn't an option.

Quote:>> I've tried using cd and ls to poke around
>> the disk, but ls doesn't seem to work properly.

>I doubt it.  If this is really the case then get better milo.  But you can
>boot your distribution media in a "rescue" mode (or switch to a text
>console), mount your disk partitions and poke around. If you will do
mounting
>in a reasonable way then you can use 'chroot' to "switch" to your installed
>system and take over from there.

I did that to get the kernel files as noted above.

.. Dave

ps. am off on vacation for a couple of weeks so will have to get back at this
when I return.

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)