CS4232 Sound card problem

Post by Arc C » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

  Hello everyone! I have a small problem with a Crystal Sound 4232 card on
my AS200 4/233. I recompiled the kernel with the correct drivers as modules,
followed instructions in documentation for loading sound modules:

modprobe sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=3

 However when I do this, it says after I type last line:
ad1848: Interrupt test failed (IRQ5)

  I am able to play CDs, but when it comes to sound files, it doesn't do
anything. What I do is:
cat soundfile.au > /dev/audio
(or /dev/audio1 or /dev/sound) it just doesn't do anything - gives me the
prompt back, but no sound.

  Is there anything I should do to make it work? I tried all available IRQ
numbers, nothing works!
 Please help me with this! Thank you  very much!

CS4232 Sound card problem

Post by Eberhard Bur » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>   Hello everyone! I have a small problem with a Crystal Sound 4232 card on
> my AS200 4/233. I recompiled the kernel with the correct drivers as modules,
> followed instructions in documentation for loading sound modules:

That's an ISA card, which is why it won't work as module because
ISA-DMA can only address the lower part of mem. Compile it into the
kernel and also select 'persistent DMA buffers'. works fine for me.

kind Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows

1. Crystal CS4232 Sound Card

Hi!

I installed Slackware 3.0 (kernel 1.2.13) on my HP Pavilion 7090 (133Mhz
P5/16MB).  It has one of those pesky SBPro clones with this config as
reported by /dev/sndstat (see below).  I played with the sound config.
a lot before trying the last resort specified in the HOWTO:  booted into
DOS and then used loadlin.  That's the only way I get the kernel to
recognize the sound registers.

So obviously there's some register configuration required that the sound
driver currently isn't doing.  Does anybody have the info...I wouldn;t
mind modifying the driver if I knew what the registers were.

Also, I can't control the volume (it stays at max) with WorkMan.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks,
Shash

Here's /dev/sndstat:

Config options: 35412

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 5: Roland MPU-401
Type 2: SoundBlaster

Card config:
Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 0 drq 0

PCM devices:
0: SoundBlaster Pro 3.2

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 15.14  Midi interface #1
1: SoundBlaster

MIDI Timers:
0: System Timer
1: MPU-401 Timer

1 mixer(s) installed

+ Sasvata [Shash-wata] Chatterjee                                 +

+ Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems                       +

2. Miro 10AD - which X Server?

3. CS4232 sound card setup

4. Attempting to find parts for SCSI Cable

5. Dell on board sound card (CS4232) and internal speaker

6. NIS+ Authentication with Apache

7. cs4232-based sound cards

8. What happens to the stdio channels in a ¢? ·RPC-Service started by remsh ?

9. Help: setting up cs4232 sound card

10. CS4232 (sound card) and kernel 2.0.34

11. CS4232 sound card

12. Crystal cs4232 sound card...

13. Trying to get CS4232 sound card to work