Games?

Post by Idar Tollefse » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I've been using Linux on Alpha since late '97.
Now I want to play some network games on this
thing, like Quake I/II or RPGs.

However, I haven't been able to find any that
runs on Alpha. Quake runs on Intel, but so far
no luck tracking down an Alpha version (except
a dedicated server).

Could someone give me some pointers to some
games, if any, that will run on Linux/Alpha?

- IT

Games?

Post by h0l0gRa » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I've been using Linux on Alpha since late '97.
> Now I want to play some network games on this
> thing, like Quake I/II or RPGs.

> However, I haven't been able to find any that
> runs on Alpha. Quake runs on Intel, but so far
> no luck tracking down an Alpha version (except
> a dedicated server).

> Could someone give me some pointers to some
> games, if any, that will run on Linux/Alpha?

> - IT

You should ask this in comp.os.linux.alpha
But ,go to quakeforge.net ,there's Quakeforge.
Then look bug tracking or other discussion groups ,look for Linux/Alpha
problems there's patch for it.
Without patch ,Quakeforge compiles ,but doesn't allow to play ,with
patch you can play.

Also ,in games look www.linuxgames.com ,www.happypenguin.org...
--
Don't let your status become too quo!

Games?

Post by h0l0gRa » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I've been using Linux on Alpha since late '97.
> > Now I want to play some network games on this
> > thing, like Quake I/II or RPGs.

> > However, I haven't been able to find any that
> > runs on Alpha. Quake runs on Intel, but so far
> > no luck tracking down an Alpha version (except
> > a dedicated server).

> > Could someone give me some pointers to some
> > games, if any, that will run on Linux/Alpha?

> > - IT
> You should ask this in comp.os.linux.alpha

Remove that ,I were in dreamworld when writing this...

Quote:> But ,go to quakeforge.net ,there's Quakeforge.
> Then look bug tracking or other discussion groups ,look for Linux/Alpha
> problems there's patch for it.
> Without patch ,Quakeforge compiles ,but doesn't allow to play ,with
> patch you can play.

> Also ,in games look www.linuxgames.com ,www.happypenguin.org...
> --
> Don't let your status become too quo!

--
If I knew what brand [of whiskey] he drinks, I would send a barrel or
so to my other generals.

Games?

Post by Idar Tollefse » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> But ,go to quakeforge.net ,there's Quakeforge.
> Then look bug tracking or other discussion groups,
> look for Linux/Alpha problems there's patch for it.
> Without patch ,Quakeforge compiles ,but doesn't allow
> to play ,with patch you can play.

Thanks for the pointers.

I've downloaded the source code, but it doesn't compile.
And I'm not able to find the patch to which you are
refering. Neither in the bug tracking system nor in the
forums. I did see some bug reports for Linux/Alpha,
but no patch.

Do you remember where you found it?

- IT

1. Games and 'game mode indeterminate'

Hi,

I've been using RedHat-2.0.1, Accelerated X and fvwm for about a year.
A couple days ago, I thought I'd try to install the games that are
distributed with RedHat (Doom, abuse, tetris and probably some card and
video games) and very few of them work.  I don't have sound, but even
trying to run Doom as you're supposed to if you don't have sound gives
me the response

        game mode indeterminate

Mostly I get errors like

        not running in graphics capable console

Pente works.  Xgammon works.  but not the rest.

Of course, everything else (even some intense graphics applications)
works just fine.  It's just games!

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

John

2. Do u know how to run ASP on an Solaris 2.8?

3. based games: looking for a game like that

4. a novice qustion: How can I detinguish between an executable file, none executable file and a directory?

5. Games? Who cares about games?

6. fork() and signals

7. GAME: Final Battle multiplayer space game for X

8. "Invalid compressed format - system halted"

9. GAME - Gem Drop X one-player puzzle game

10. DEMO of game: Terroid (shooting game)

11. GAMES PLAY UK ( WANTED ) TOYS+GAMES

13. Linux games, dos games, and networking