KDE is buggy?

Post by Eero Volotine » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:28:17

I have some problems with redhat 6.2 on alpha machine.

Gnome works fine, but Kde hangs too many times in day.

Is kde buggy or .. ?

--
Eero

KDE is buggy?

Post by William A. Welch II » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:02:19

> I have some problems with redhat 6.2 on alpha machine.

> Gnome works fine, but Kde hangs too many times in day.

> Is kde buggy or .. ?

> --
> Eero

that's funny.  i had the exact opposite problem.

gnome always crapped out on me, so i've been running kde (with no
problems) ever since.

what are everyone else's experiences?

/bill

p.s. i have a 164LX

KDE is buggy?

Post by Michal Jaegerma » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:18:40

: I have some problems with redhat 6.2 on alpha machine.

: Gnome works fine, but Kde hangs too many times in day.

: Is kde buggy or .. ?

As far as I can tell all versions of KDE which I have seen so
far were really buggy.  The main culprit seems to be kwm but
other bugs are scattered all over the place.

KDE may work accidentally on Intel boxes but even my Athlon machine
had tons of troubles with it.  Frankly I would be surprised if this
would ever seriously change.  If you will try to debug some of
this code then you will see why.

  Michal

1. MS Office 2000 is buggy, buggy, buggy

My day today with MS Office 2000:

I'm a programmer and was asked to prepare documentations and a presentation,
something no programmer really likes. Well, I swore and thought, lets just
slap something together quickly with Word and Powerpoint... I was mistaken.

The g**m Word crashed on me five times. Each time, after restarting Word
again, I could not open the file I was working on previously. Word
complained: "File locked by <me>".

After a while, I found out that I actually have to

1) kill the (window-less) process WINWORD.EXE and
2) delete all hidden files starting with '~'

before I could go on and open the file again. Being a programmer, I wrote
myself a tool to do this automatically.

"Ease of use"? Yeah right, I can just see all the secretaries just opening
the taskmanager and killing processes...

Poor, poor, poor quality. Amazing what they get away with.

More issues:
- The graphical component (vector graphics) inside MS Word and Powerpoint is
a Joke. No, really. The behaviour is often illogical and unpredictable. It
also caused two of my five crashes. Scaling groups of objects does not work
properly. And so on. Pure pain - I wish I had Visio installed or some other
*professional* Graphics tool.
- Importing data from Word to powerpoint is error prone, to say the least.
Tables get scr*ed up.

As a bottomline, this will be the last presentation I prepared using MS
Office.

2. Ambra

3. Buggy 3C574, or buggy administrator?

4. moving disks w/out pain

5. KDE is SLOW and BUGGY!!!!

6. Getting closer...

7. ktalkd buggy in KDE 1.1.2

8. PCMCIA modem/ether combo cards

9. A Query...now that I am using KDE...

10. (Q) How do I find what version of KDE I am running?

11. KDE kvt & /etc/utmp (`who am i`)

12. What KDE version am I running?

13. How do I figure out which version of KDE I am using?