Boot RH 5.0 w/out floppy?

Post by blair aak » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi, i have a 166Mhz, UDB that I'd like to install RH linux on. I currently
have Windows NT on the machine. I don't have a floppy drive, however, no any
way of getting one. Is there anyway I can do the install without the floppy
drive. I have a small FAT partition that I was able to put the milo image and
linload.exe. I can boot milo, but it asks me to install root floppy when it
comes time to mount the ramdisk image. Does anyone have any pointers or
suggestions?
Thanks,
Blair Aakre

Boot RH 5.0 w/out floppy?

Post by Leif Jackso » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, i have a 166Mhz, UDB that I'd like to install RH linux on. I currently
> have Windows NT on the machine. I don't have a floppy drive, however, no any
> way of getting one. Is there anyway I can do the install without the floppy
> drive. I have a small FAT partition that I was able to put the milo image and
> linload.exe. I can boot milo, but it asks me to install root floppy when it
> comes time to mount the ramdisk image. Does anyone have any pointers or
> suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Blair Aakre

I had the same problem... This is how I installed Rh5.0:

Take the SCSI HD out. Put it in another Intel Linux box w/ SCSI Card.

partition the HD so you have a 5MB dos partition as sda1 make sda2 the
rest.
on sda2 make a directory temp or something. then untar as root the
file-system image that comes inside the bootimg (this goes into the temp
dir). (If you don't know how to get this out I can send you the tar or
put it on an ftp site) Then take the milo image and linload.exe and put
them on the dos partition soda. Remove HD from i386 box and put it back
in the UDB. reboot UDB with the linload.exe as your boot loader and it
should load the milo image. once your in the milo console. boot
sda2:/temp/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda2/temp

You should ge the install program as your screen.... Either use an FTP
or NFS install from there on with your i386 box that has the RedHat 5.0
Axp Dist.

Good luck, This was a very large pain in the ass!

Leif Jackson

P.s. Note that I had to HD's and used the second one as the temporary
root FS and installed to the other. This is how I think it would work
for one HD. The best thing would be is if you had two HD's and a
external CD-rom.

Boot RH 5.0 w/out floppy?

Post by Mark Stieb » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi, i have a 166Mhz, UDB that I'd like to install RH linux on. I currently
>> have Windows NT on the machine. I don't have a floppy drive, however, no any
>> way of getting one. Is there anyway I can do the install without the floppy
>> drive. I have a small FAT partition that I was able to put the milo image and
>> linload.exe. I can boot milo, but it asks me to install root floppy when it
>> comes time to mount the ramdisk image. Does anyone have any pointers or
>> suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Blair Aakre

>I had the same problem... This is how I installed Rh5.0:
>Take the SCSI HD out. Put it in another Intel Linux box w/ SCSI Card.
> <Procedure deleted>

An easier  method would be to boot milo, then boot into Linux using the CD
as the root filesys - it has a live filesystem on it!

A MILO command such as:
 boot -t iso9660 scd0:/kernels/<kernel>.gz root=/dev/scd0 load_ramdisk=0
   prompt_ramdisk=0 ro

should be all you need.

--
  o '         '    o     O        o         O
   _  O   _ _o _____ '_____  _____ _' _____  _____ o

    (_)(_) (_)(_____)(_____)(_)   (_)(_____)(_____)  ->< POEE -><
  O   o   '     o  ,        o           ,o         O
    '    o           O           '           ,

1. RH 5.0 - no boot floppy?

So I download RedHat 5.0, install it, and when it asks where I want to install
LILO, I only get the options of the MBR, or the root Linux partition. That's
fine if I have no other OS's, but I have win95 and NT on 2 IDE drives, while I
am installing Linux on my only SCSI. After the install it reboots, I have a
brand spankin' new installation with no way of accessing it!

What do I do?

Clifford Adams

2. beep as you wish ?

3. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

4. TV tuner board with X Windows

5. RH 8.0 boot fails using floppy and boot.img

6. Having problems whlie updating and running RedHat Linux 5.2

7. Create Lilo on Floppy -RH 5.0-

8. Problem with CGI ans stty

9. Avanti - RH 5.0 install - no floppy

10. RH Linux 5.0 had no floppy disks... can I use from 5.1 dist?

11. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy