SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition

Post by Mike Walte » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:54:04

Hi,

Has anyone tried SuSE Linux 8.1 for Alpha?  Yes, there really is such
a distribution.  (I'm a SuSE fan, but I just learned about it myself.)
It came out last month and can be found at:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/

If you have:

1) What is your overall impression?  How does it compare to RedHat
7.2?

2) Do you know if the Compaq Fortran compiler for Alpha Linux works on
this distro?

3) Does it have USB support?  I have a DEC PWS with USB ports, but
I've never gotten USB support to work on any version of RedHat.

Thanks

SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:09:46

> 2) Do you know if the Compaq Fortran compiler for Alpha Linux works on
> this distro?

Compaq Fortran works fine on Slackware, so it ought to work just about
anywhere.

Quote:> 3) Does it have USB support?  I have a DEC PWS with USB ports, but
> I've never gotten USB support to work on any version of RedHat.

Just make sure your kernel has USB support, and install the hotplug
scripts.  You should be up and running in minutes.  Again, Slackware
works fine, and I don't suppose Suse would be much different.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition

Post by hsea.. » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:02:00

>> 2) Do you know if the Compaq Fortran compiler for Alpha Linux works on
>> this distro?
> Compaq Fortran works fine on Slackware, so it ought to work just about
> anywhere.
>> 3) Does it have USB support?  I have a DEC PWS with USB ports, but
>> I've never gotten USB support to work on any version of RedHat.
> Just make sure your kernel has USB support, and install the hotplug
> scripts.  You should be up and running in minutes.  Again, Slackware
> works fine, and I don't suppose Suse would be much different.

    So is there a slackware port for the alpha? I couldn't find one on
their website.

--
Harmon Seaver