REQ help in building a Linux/Alpha System

REQ help in building a Linux/Alpha System

Post by ks006a0.. » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi

as a starting point there is a wealth of info at ftp.digital.com, and
then sift through the pdf files there, or www.compaq.com/support -
look under retired systems for the processor specs, this should give
you enough to determine the system and its requirements.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:42:11 -0400, RockRabbit

>Greetings

>Sitting on my desk are two bare bones Alpha processors..

>They read:

>ALPHA 21264A
>KP21264A-600VCN

>This is where I need help. I know very little about Alpha, but would like
>to learn as much as I can. We would like to create a machine for testing
>purposes only at this point. It will run Linux.

>Any suggestions on what motherboard, memory, controllers I will need?
>Where can I get them from? Compaq has been very unhelpful so far in
>assisting me.

>Thank you

>RR

REQ help in building a Linux/Alpha System

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:20:09

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when RockRabbit would say:

Quote:>Sitting on my desk are two bare bones Alpha processors..

>They read:
>ALPHA 21264A
>KP21264A-600VCN

>This is where I need help. I know very little about Alpha, but would like
>to learn as much as I can. We would like to create a machine for testing
>purposes only at this point. It will run Linux.

>Any suggestions on what motherboard, memory, controllers I will need?
>Where can I get them from? Compaq has been very unhelpful so far in
>assisting me.

Compaq doesn't want to sell you parts; Compaq wants to sell you a
whole system.

You'll likely find that other vendors will be a _bit_ reluctant to
sell just plain motherboards.

One of the vendors I'd _speculate_ might be a bit more helpful than
average would be <http://www.microway.com/>; they give more disclosure
of pricing info than just about any of the other Alpha VARs.

You will need to give the part number information to _whatever_ vendor
you may wind up dealing with to determine what motherboard you will
need to get; that will then determine what kind of memory is needed,
and it is not unlikely that the motherboard will include SCSI
controller.

Video cards must be fairly carefully selected; Permedia, Matrox
Millennium, and older S3 are amongst the reasonable choices.  Again,
the vendor should be able to suggest a selection from which you may
choose.

Is there some reason why you acquired Alpha CPUs separate from a
motherboard?  I generally look at building systems based on choosing
motherboard _first_, and CPU second.
--

<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxvars.html>
Sex is the mathematics urge sublimated.

1. Req. advice re dual PPro motherboards / ALPHA systems

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my current P90 motherboard with a dual Pentium Pro
200MHz one, or go the whole way with an Alpha system. I'd also like an Ultra
SCSI controller card, like the Buslogic 958, to drive a 9GB Seagate Barracuda.
I've heard that some of the Alpha systems have Ultra SCSI embedded on the
motherboard so this might not be necessary on an Alpha.

Anyway, running Linux is a must (of course!), so I'm requesting any first-hand
(or second-hand :)) knowledge/experience/advice/suggestions re the above. I
would particularly appreciate knowing which boards/systems actually work with
Linux and if anything special was required (any particular Linux distribution?)

TIA

2. RPC and segmentation fault

3. REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

4. [Fwd: Snort + debian help]

6. xfree-4.1 for Suse.

7. shell built ins

8. RPM-Database defect!

9. Subject: Ksh93 question: special built-ins: why are they special?

10. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

11. Shells and built-ins

12. Need help building linux system

13. Need help building ultimate Linux system