Proxy server on Alpha?

Post by Father QA » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a RH alpha server with a 164SX motherboard and 400Mhz processor.
My question is all the proxy and firewall software I have read about in
the Proxy/Firewall HOWTO is reflecting Intel Linux. I am trying to set
up a web server using my computer with it's cable modem to be the
"portal" into the internet. I have two other computers that need to see
the light of the internet and am too cheap to get internet accounts for
each.
I heard about SOCKS and other proxy servers, but I dont see one that
will run on AlphaLinux. I thought about using EM86 or whatever it was
called(the '86 emulator), to run it, but it is too crucial to do that.
So what I need to know is where I can get an Alpha Linux specific Proxy
server software and how to set it up.
Thanks alot!
Mike Tin

Proxy server on Alpha?

Post by Zach Younke » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Don't use a proxy server. set it up as a router use gated. I believe that it
works like that. May be totally of. anyone correct me if i am wrong..

 -Zach

>I have a RH alpha server with a 164SX motherboard and 400Mhz processor.
>My question is all the proxy and firewall software I have read about in
>the Proxy/Firewall HOWTO is reflecting Intel Linux. I am trying to set
>up a web server using my computer with it's cable modem to be the
>"portal" into the internet. I have two other computers that need to see
>the light of the internet and am too cheap to get internet accounts for
>each.
>I heard about SOCKS and other proxy servers, but I dont see one that
>will run on AlphaLinux. I thought about using EM86 or whatever it was
>called(the '86 emulator), to run it, but it is too crucial to do that.
>So what I need to know is where I can get an Alpha Linux specific Proxy
>server software and how to set it up.
>Thanks alot!
>Mike Tin

Proxy server on Alpha?

Post by Cory Councilma » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: Don't use a proxy server. set it up as a router use gated. I believe that it
: works like that. May be totally of. anyone correct me if i am wrong..

 If you just route, you will still need to have public IP addresses assigned
to the two computers.  The IP Masquarade feature of the kernal may help you
out though.  In the proxy server dept. check if Squid has an Alpha port or
if someone else ported it.

                                Good Luck,
                                Cory

:  -Zach

:>I have a RH alpha server with a 164SX motherboard and 400Mhz processor.
:>My question is all the proxy and firewall software I have read about in
:>the Proxy/Firewall HOWTO is reflecting Intel Linux. I am trying to set
:>up a web server using my computer with it's cable modem to be the
:>"portal" into the internet. I have two other computers that need to see
:>the light of the internet and am too cheap to get internet accounts for
:>each.
:>I heard about SOCKS and other proxy servers, but I dont see one that
:>will run on AlphaLinux. I thought about using EM86 or whatever it was
:>called(the '86 emulator), to run it, but it is too crucial to do that.
:>So what I need to know is where I can get an Alpha Linux specific Proxy
:>server software and how to set it up.
:>Thanks alot!
:>Mike Tin

:>

|                  Cory 'Paco' Councilman                     |

|     http://oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu/personal/ccouncil.html      |

Proxy server on Alpha?

Post by Wai-Sun Chi » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Don't use a proxy server. set it up as a router use gated. I believe that it
> works like that. May be totally of. anyone correct me if i am wrong..

>  -Zach

> >I have a RH alpha server with a 164SX motherboard and 400Mhz processor.
> >My question is all the proxy and firewall software I have read about in
> >the Proxy/Firewall HOWTO is reflecting Intel Linux. I am trying to set

I assume that you're talking about a application proxy firewall, and not
a generic web proxy ala squid. If that is what you're talking about then
you're right I don't know of any commercial firewall software for
Alpha/Linux. But there's always the TIS FWTK (firewall toolkit) of which
you need to hack a bit to get it working. Of course as you've pointed
out there's always socks....
YMMV, as I don't have any experience in both of them.

What I've experience is the Linux IPchains packetfilter firewall. It
works fine with Alpha. And no you do not need to setup gated if you just
have a single link to the net.

I think with IPchains and with Squid (distributed caching web/ftp
proxy), you would have everything you need to have a good intra/internet
setup.

--
Wai-Sun "squidster" Chia
Internet Solution Architect

Proxy server on Alpha?

Post by memo.. » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:51:37 -0500, "Zach Younker"

>Don't use a proxy server. set it up as a router use gated. I believe that it
>works like that. May be totally of. anyone correct me if i am wrong..

Yes, use a proxy server it is called squid. My noname is the
firewall, web proxy, email server, caching dns, and news
server for my at-home network, but I only have a 64k link.

>>I have a RH alpha server with a 164SX motherboard and 400Mhz processor.
>>My question is all the proxy and firewall software I have read about in
>>the Proxy/Firewall HOWTO is reflecting Intel Linux.

Mostly it doesn't matter. Linux is linux. Show me where in the
HOWTO intel-linux only features are mentioned.

Quote:> I am trying to set
>>up a web server using my computer with it's cable modem to be the
>>"portal" into the internet.

If you want to set up a web server, install apache.

Quote:> I have two other computers that need to see
>>the light of the internet and am too cheap to get internet accounts for
>>each.

Compile your kernel with firewalling, forwarding and such turned on.
See the HOWTO on firewaling, ipfwadm, masquerading, kernel building
etc.

Quote:>>I heard about SOCKS and other proxy servers, but I dont see one that
>>will run on AlphaLinux. I thought about using EM86 or whatever it was
>>called(the '86 emulator), to run it, but it is too crucial to do that.
>>So what I need to know is where I can get an Alpha Linux specific Proxy
>>server software and how to set it up.

Get the source for squid and compile it.

Make sure that you understand what a proxy is and what it is not.
Make sure you know what a firewall is and what a router does. It
sounds like you do not have a grip on these concepts as you tend
to mix the terminology.

If you have a cable modem as your mainline to the 'net, then
you probably don't really need a proxy. You need a router aka
gateway/firewall along with IP masquerading.

It sounds like you are coming to linux from an M$-centric life where
the os doesn't really understand what the 'net is all about and the
user doesn't have any idea what source code is.

1. Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

    I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next line
says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows is
my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system says
bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in SRM
console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into linuxconfig
and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

2. Pioneer 6-CD changer + AHA2940 problems

3. Using an outside proxy server form behind a proxy server

4. system.map wrong version help

5. Proxy server to another proxy server

6. User identification problem

7. Want Linux to USE a proxy server not BE a proxy server

8. Netsite & Protected pages

9. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

10. Redhat 7.2 Alpha on Digital Alpha Server 1000 4/233

11. Proxy Client for M$ Proxy server

12. HTTP proxy and proxy server

13. socks proxy client on linux and ms proxy server