F77Bench (Re: DVF for Linux?)

Post by News Ma » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >> We do have an "engineering exercise" in progress to create a native
> >> DIG..er.. Compaq Fortran compiler and associated libraries on Linux for
> >> Alpha (not X86)systems, and it's going very well so far.  The compiler
> would
> >> work with existing Linux development tools (gdb, etc.) - we're not
> creating
> >                                               ^
> >Is the "existing" gdb going to support the full Fortran 95 syntax?

> No. We're looking at porting our ladebug de*, but that's more
> speculative at this time.  We figure that what people want most is a fast,
> robust Fortran 95 compiler on Alpha Linux and that getting such a thing out
> there soon is more important than delivering a "complete Fortran development
> environment" later.

> DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Compaq Computer Corporation
> 110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
> Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

> DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.veryComputer.com/

You just called off my standing order for two P-II's, also my search for
DU er.. T64... and DF.  In fact, I went through g77 benchmark test
with the Polyhedron F77BENCH.  P-II at 400MHz/g77 was factor of
~1.2 faster than Linux/Alpha/g77 with 21164LX-4 at 533MHz.  So,
compared to DF for Windows 98 which is 1.5 times faster than g77/P-II,
g77/Alpha21164/Linux is a complete loser.  21264  is at present
out of reach for most of us.

See how much people get e*d with your reply.  Compaq
should give your team a good deal of bonus this Christmas.  I am not
sure whether your higher managment will know your effort for "saving"
Alpha or not.

BTW, I found that any benchmark program with exp(.) or sqrt(.) makes
Alpha/g77 sweat and puff, because they have not been implemented in
libffm yet.  Fotunately, my eigenvalue code still runs faster on Alpha/g77
than on P-II.

G. Hugh Song

F77Bench (Re: DVF for Linux?)

Post by Wes Bausk » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > would
> > creating
> > >                                               ^
> > >Is the "existing" gdb going to support the full Fortran 95 syntax?

> > No. We're looking at porting our ladebug de*, but that's more
> > speculative at this time.  We figure that what people want most is a fast,
> > robust Fortran 95 compiler on Alpha Linux and that getting such a thing out
> > there soon is more important than delivering a "complete Fortran development
> > environment" later.

> > DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > Compaq Computer Corporation
> > 110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
> > Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

> > DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.veryComputer.com/

> You just called off my standing order for two P-II's, also my search for
> DU er.. T64... and DF.  In fact, I went through g77 benchmark test
> with the Polyhedron F77BENCH.  P-II at 400MHz/g77 was factor of
> ~1.2 faster than Linux/Alpha/g77 with 21164LX-4 at 533MHz.  So,
> compared to DF for Windows 98 which is 1.5 times faster than g77/P-II,
> g77/Alpha21164/Linux is a complete loser.  21264  is at present
> out of reach for most of us.

At $7200 for the fastest microprocessor in the world, you think
it's too expensive??

Seems pretty reasonable to me since the XP1000 has a SPECFP of
52 or so. If you need FP performance, it's quite a bargain.

On the other hand, if you need integer speed, stick with Intel
and company and lash together several of them to get speed,
assuming of course your problem partitions well. If not, then
th XP1000 is still a good choice.

Quote:> See how much people get e*d with your reply.  Compaq
> should give your team a good deal of bonus this Christmas.  I am not
> sure whether your higher managment will know your effort for "saving"
> Alpha or not.

> BTW, I found that any benchmark program with exp(.) or sqrt(.) makes
> Alpha/g77 sweat and puff, because they have not been implemented in
> libffm yet.  Fotunately, my eigenvalue code still runs faster on Alpha/g77
> than on P-II.

Seems you're misinformed. Both exp() and sqrt() are in the current
libffm. I haven't benchmarked them but I assume Mr. Goto know's
how to schedule ASM. A serious problem with 21164's is they lack
a sqrt instruction. That has been corrected on the 21264. Also,
PII's have a sqrt instruction so you save the cost of a function
call in addition to having a well tuned HW implementation.

Your other option is the newly announced CPML, of course.

Quote:

> G. Hugh Song

Wes

1. DVF v6.0 wishlist...

I was a happy user of DecStation 3000 with DIGITAL Fortran during
1980-1996.

If DIGITAL's future depends on the 21?64 chip and the CPU business,
DIGITAL should release DVF for Linux.  I am about to cancel an order for an
Alpha Linux system because I heard that there is no decent FORTRAN
compiler for Alpha LInux.  Don't tell me to buy DIGITAL Unix as well.
I know it is good.  However, it's then too expensive.  Just look at
the % change of OS intallations worldwide.  Market share of DIGITAL Unix is only
decreasing, faster than Solaris, which is also decreasing.  I like
DIGITAL Unix better than Solaris.  But that is my preference.
Nobody in their right mind buys AlphaStation instead of Sparkstation
in Korea.  THe marketshare of Alphastations here became to zilch recently.
Sometimes DIGITAL has to decide quickly which to lose.  I think
that the shrinking business of DIGITAL was mostly due to such bad
business decisions in the past (I am talking about VMS).

If only DIGITAL donates DIGITAL Unix to the Linux community, Alpha Linux can
get SMP right away, and more people will buy Alpha CPUs.

Sincerely,

--
G. Hugh Song

Assoc. Professor
Office: +82-62-970-2210
Departmental fax: -2204

Department of Information and Communications
Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology
572 Ssangam-dong, Kwangsan-gu,
Kwangju, 506-712 South KOREA

2. Apache-SSL installation problem on Solaris

3. dvfs problem

4. Solaris 7/x86 - X desktop problem

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

6. Throttling / splitting bandwidth

7. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

8. sessreg... can it be done?

9. Linux in Linux in Linux in

10. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

11. DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!

12. linux ppc vs linux alpha vs linux x86?

13. dns issue -- windows=>linux vs linux=>linux