Floppy on AlphaStation

Post by belo.. » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

I have an AlphaStation 200 with no floppy and I was wondering what type
of floppy does it use?  I tried installing a standard PC floppy with no
success.  Is is a non-standard, DEC-only floppy, or do I have a deeper
problem?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

                                Bret

Floppy on AlphaStation

Post by Thomas Skalet » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

I got an alpha station 255 without floppy and installed a normal PC
floppy without any problems.

        Greetings
        Thomas

1. rescue floppy for LS-120/ATAPI floppy drive

My file system seems to have corrupted overnight running SuSE 7.1.  Not
sure if it rebooted (I have a UPS, but not monitored) or fell back to
runlevel 1 when it got stuck accessing the disk (possibly due to heat
which was only up to around 85 degress F).

When it tries to fsck my / during reboot it drops to single mode after:
hdb: dma-intr: error=0x40 {Unrecoverable Error}, LBAsect=14771969,
sector 14681184
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 14681184
Error reading block 1835748 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

Anyway I made a tomsrtbt rescue floppy and it boots from a
standard floppy drive on the computer it was created on, but not the one
with the problem.  It correctly identifies hdc as LS-120, ATAPI floppy
(the floppy being booted from) and hdd as DVD-ROM, but later hangs
during or after a partition check of hdc (which has no partitions).

I could install another copy of SuSE on empty space on that hard drive,
but is there a rescue floppy version that can boot from an ATAPI floppy?

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

2. oji-plugin with patchset 4

3. searching scsi floppy driver to read dos floppies for sol 2.4

4. Upgrade from RPM3 to RPM4

5. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

6. Benchmark of C++ and Position Independent Code

7. Boot floppy/root floppy to ramdisk, add more later?

8. Turn off messages broadcast to root?

9. Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

10. floppy? what floppy?

11. windows floppy & linux floppy

12. Making a bootable Linux floppy with root on the floppy

13. floppy.c vs. ide-floppy.c