Compaq XP1000 install help needed

Post by Ewan » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone with experience installing linux on a Compaq XP1000 please help
me with some info, ie.which is easiest, installing through SRM console or
AlphaBios? which milo image to use and how to use it? what are the best web
sites for install info and any other tips you could pass on that would help
me install.

thanks
-Ewan

Compaq XP1000 install help needed

Post by Marco Bento » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i think using the SRM console is easier and a better feel for a real unix
environment.

i have no idea which milo to use...
but check out:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Linux-Alpha/Miniloader/latest-Images/

i use ftp.cdrom.com to do most of my installs.
but you can browse www.redhat.com/mirrors.html for a faster mirror.

Quote:> Can anyone with experience installing linux on a Compaq XP1000 please help
> me with some info, ie.which is easiest, installing through SRM console or
> AlphaBios? which milo image to use and how to use it? what are the best
web
> sites for install info and any other tips you could pass on that would
help
> me install.

> thanks
> -Ewan

Compaq XP1000 install help needed

Post by Michael A. Fole » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

    There's an excellent PDF that has all that you need at
    http://www.digital.com/alphaserver/linux/install_guide.html

                                                                                        mike