FTP INSTALL - Alpha Linux problem

Post by Lance Ree » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I just put together an AlphaPC164SX, and successfully installed RH5.2
from CD.  But I need to re-install (goofed up a bit...), and I no longer

have the Alpha RH CD.  I tried doing a FTP install, but when the system
asks about the network card, and goes to configure, it complains that
there is no /sbin/insmod.  I am using the latest ramdisk from the RH
site.
Is a FTP Alpha Linux install possible?  Anybody had success at this.
I have done it a number of times for intel.  Any ideas how I could
include
insmode and modules on the ramdisk, or is this another problem?
Thanks for any help.  Sorry if this question has been answered recently.

If I have to, I can make a CD image off the net...but that is a pain....

Any rumors about the new RH release including Alpha support?

TIA,

Lance

FTP INSTALL - Alpha Linux problem

Post by Riku Anttil » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is a FTP Alpha Linux install possible?  Anybody had success at this.

I have done a successful ftp install twice on my Multia, with RedHat 5.0
and 5.1, having no problems with it.

--
replace the username in address above with rixa to reply in e-mail.

Post by Lance Ree » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > Is a FTP Alpha Linux install possible?  Anybody had success at this.

> I have done a successful ftp install twice on my Multia, with RedHat 5.0
> and 5.1, having no problems with it.

> --
> replace the username in address above with rixa to reply in e-mail.

OK, so maybe it is a faulty ramdisk for the 164sx?
I tried doing a FTP install, but when the system
asks about the network card, and goes to configure, it complains that
there is no /sbin/insmod.  If I look around, I can not fins insmod anywhere
either.  Anybody think it is a ramdisk problem, or a kernel problem.
I am using a kernel boot img from the Variety Pack Alpha CD ROM.
I will try a newer RH kernel next.  Thanks for any help anyone can give!
At least I know FTP works for some people!!!

TIA,

Lance

Post by Anton Er » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is a FTP Alpha Linux install possible?

Yes, we have done it several times.  However, with a 2.2 kernel and
the RedHat 5.2 install disk it reportedly does not work.  We have also
had problems installing from an ftp server a few hops away that
vanished when we installed from one of our own ftp servers (could also
be install via NFS).

- anton

FTP INSTALL - Alpha Linux problem

Post by Lance Ree » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

HMMMM....
How do you load the ethernet drivers on the earlier disks?
There is no insmod, and no modules directory that I can see.
I can get the new 2.2 to see my ethernet card, but the install
dies and says that the "file already exists!".  Not sure which file,
but it won't work anyway.  OH well.

Anybody try the SUSE beta?  I got as far as starting to look for the
install packages, and it complained that I had no source media.....
..

Thanks all!

Lance

Post by Ron Flor » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I tried doing a FTP install, but when the system
> asks about the network card, and goes to configure, it complains that
> there is no /sbin/insmod.  I am using the latest ramdisk from the RH
> site.

 This =should= work.  I've done it several times on Multias.  Do you get
the same results with NFS install ??

ron

Post by Maxx Christopher Lob » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> I finally solved the problem, for anyone who cares.
> ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/pub/starbuck/alpha/
> I used the generic kernel image, a 3com boomerang card,
> and their new ramdisk.img.

Did this install work? I did an FTP install of Starbuck onto my
alpha.... 3 times from this site before I gave up. It crashes when it
gets to the detect mouse part. Then I tried another site with starbuck,
and solved that problem, but now the UDB comes up with -
MILO: Failed to load the kernel
after it detects the HDD and partitions. The it drops back to a
prompt.Any ideas, people? I am foxed, and somewhat irate. :-(

---Maxx

FTP INSTALL - Alpha Linux problem

Post by Maxx Christopher Lob » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> Did this install work? I did an FTP install of Starbuck onto my
> alpha.... 3 times from this site before I gave up. It crashes when it
> gets to the detect mouse part. Then I tried another site with starbuck,
> and solved that problem, but now the UDB comes up with -
> MILO: Failed to load the kernel
> after it detects the HDD and partitions. The it drops back to a
> prompt.Any ideas, people? I am foxed, and somewhat irate. :-(

I got the problem solved, and here's the solution....
For some reason, the install does not work off of sunsite.auc.dk. (of
Starbuck) and it fails at the mouse detection. The other site I found
Starbuck at was

ftp://phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov/

with the dir being -

pub/mirror/redhat-main/starbuck/alpha/

and this one really works on an FTP install.... with one *small*
problem.
It doesn't copy the vmlinux.gz from floppy to the HDD, so when you try
to reboot, it cant. The solution is to mount the boot disk and copy the
vmlinux.gz file to the HDD, during the install process (I did it during
the 'configure printer' step), and voila.... boots perfect.
Maybe this is just amazing to me because I'm delirious on Mountain Dew
right now (been up upgrading 5 kernels and doing this inst. :-D), but I
hope that helped anyone that may run into the same issue.

---Maxx

1. problems installed RedHat 4.1, ftp, alpha, proxy

I'm trying to install Red 4.1 from scratch on a Digital Avanti
(AlphaStation 400/255) using FTP through a proxy server.  I got MILO
to work okay, I booted the installation image, and it read the root
ramdisk image just fine.

So, I'm in the setup part where I tell it where to find the redhat
directory on an FTP site. I give an IP address for the FTP
site name, and another IP address for the ftp proxy.  The error
message I get is:

        "I cannot log into machine: Bad FTP server
         reponse"

When I get the IP address for the proxy wrong, it gives a different
error (cannot lookup ftp server name).

The proxy server I chose is the same one I enter into the
Netscape proxy configuration dialogue.

Any suggestions?

-Jim

2. Parallel port CD_ROM ?????

3. alpha linux install problem

4. truss?

5. Redhat FTP Install, DEC Alpha Multia.

6. stacksize only 8192!!!

7. Alpha install problems w/ file system (t64 replacing Linux)

8. ppp ... server does not have dns entry

9. Linux Install Problems on Alpha Station 233

10. RedHat FTP Install: Need Linux to install Linux?

11. Problems install Linux on Alpha

12. problem to install linux on alpha

13. Alpha Linux Install Problem...