USB-card in PC164LX with Linux ??

Post by Thomas Brun » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

in connection with my new ISDN line the question arose wether it is
possible to drive an usb-card in an PC164LX machine and if so, if one of
those cheap external ISDN-USB modems would be working with this
machine/card??? Otherwise Id had to stick to a serial ISDN modem or an
internal (PCI) card.
Has anybody made some experiences with USB-card on Linux/AXP, if so,
what is
the Kernel, what are the patches, how was it done or why not ...???

Im currently running SuSE 6.3 AXP with the standard kernel.

Tia
        Thomas

USB-card in PC164LX with Linux ??

Post by sideban » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thomas:

I use the serial route, myself... A NETGEAR XM128, with an SIIG PCI high
speed serial card... The modem and the card both do 460.8Kbps, so there is
no serial bottleneck. The modem cost me all of $169 US from Micro Warehouse,
and the card was another $30, if I remember correctly... The card took some
interesting finagling with setserial, but once that was done, it's been
stable for me since...

The line to config the serial card is as follows:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 port <port listed in /proc/ioports> uart <uart type>
irq <listed in /proc/interrupts> baud_base <max the card will do> duvisor
<number to devide baud_base by to get the desired transfer rate>

That line set the card up to be the third serial port in my system... I got
the hint on this from SIIG's webpage. the actual line I'm using to get 460.8
out of my card is this:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x6000 uart 16550A irq9 baud_base 921600 divisor 2

and I put that in rc.serial (one of the pre-made places for stuff like that
in RedHat 6.2)

Hope this sheds some light.

-SSB

Post by P.Copelan » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> in connection with my new ISDN line the question arose wether it is
> possible to drive an usb-card in an PC164LX machine and if so,

probably though there are some caveats

Quote:> if one of
> those cheap external ISDN-USB modems would be working with this
> machine/card??? Otherwise Id had to stick to a serial ISDN modem or an
> internal (PCI) card.
> Has anybody made some experiences with USB-card on Linux/AXP, if so,
> what is
> the Kernel, what are the patches, how was it done or why not ...???

The major problem is the Cypress IO chipset. At this particular moment in time,
there is
no complete support for running USB off that chip (it's capable of driving any
onboard
USB through there are growing doubts on it's ability to actually work correctly)

If, however, you grab a nice cheap PCI USB card and drop that into the machine
you
stand a much better chance. For example, I currently run with a sx164 board, not
terribly
unlike the lx164. At this moment in time, using linux-2.4.0-test4, I am capable
of attaching
a *III USB camera to an opti chipset PCI USB card and using it succesfully.

Given that all this is very recent development, and the USB code is undergoing a
rewrite
you may wish to hold off on USB anything for a couple of months

Phil
=--=

USB-card in PC164LX with Linux ??

Post by Georg Ach » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

<...>

|> Given that all this is very recent development, and the USB code is undergoing a
|> rewrite
|> you may wish to hold off on USB anything for a couple of months

Rewrite? The rewrite was finished at the end of last year... The current status
of USB for Linux is just like the rest of the source tree: Bug fixing and new
drivers :-)

--

         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/