Alpha PC164 board linux installation - Need Help Please

Alpha PC164 board linux installation - Need Help Please

Post by Prad Mohant » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I had heard about Alpha machines from everyone and I was fortunate to get
one for myself. The machine has no operating system loaded on it. When I
boot up, there is MILO I believe and I have tried to boot it off the CDROM
so that I can install Linux on it, but with no success.

How do I go about installing RH7 alpha on this....

I need details of the steps involved.

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me with this

Thanks

Prad

Alpha PC164 board linux installation - Need Help Please

Post by Marble He » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:13:42

Quote:>Hi,

>I had heard about Alpha machines from everyone and I was fortunate to get
>one for myself. The machine has no operating system loaded on it. When I
>boot up, there is MILO I believe and I have tried to boot it off the CDROM
>so that I can install Linux on it, but with no success.

>How do I go about installing RH7 alpha on this....

>I need details of the steps involved.

>I would really appreciate anyone who can help me with this

>Thanks

>Prad

First of all, since you are new to Alpha, there are some basics you need to
know.  The best information I've been able to find online is (here, this
newsgroup) and www.alphalinux.org.  Pay special attention to the SRM-Howto
there.

Second, you say you get a MILO prompt.  MILO is a bootloader that resides
on the hard disk.  (Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.)  It's important
for you to know what is launching it -- AlphaBIOS or SRM.  (I think those
are the only choices.)  If you're from the PC world, those are analagous to
the BIOS, but much more powerful.  They reside in firmware.  SRM is like a
miniature operating system, with a command prompt.

Here's what to do:
If your system has a Halt button, hold it in while you're powering on.
Um...  Maybe don't hold it in, maybe just press it once.
If it doesn't, then keep tapping Ctrl-C while powering on, until you get
some sort of prompt.
If you get
Then you're using SRM.
type the command

Quote:>>> set auto_action halt

That way, you will get a SRM prompt on power-on, instead of blindly trying
to launch the default OS.
To put it back,

Quote:>>> set auto_action boot

I suggest upgrading to the most current version of SRM.  I am familiar with
SRM, and I like it.  Maybe somebody else will tell you AlphaBIOS is better.
I don't know.  You can get the firmware upgrade someplace from
compaq/digital's web site.

When these things are straightened out, ask again about how to install RH7,
and let's see what happens.

Alpha PC164 board linux installation - Need Help Please

Post by AB » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I had heard about Alpha machines from everyone and I was fortunate to get
> one for myself. The machine has no operating system loaded on it. When I
> boot up, there is MILO I believe and I have tried to boot it off the CDROM
> so that I can install Linux on it, but with no success.

> How do I go about installing RH7 alpha on this....

You should try Compaq's Jumpstart CD. I'm not sure about the URL,
so have a look yourself. You just pop it in, and it prepares your system
for any flavor of Linux you like.

Ard

1. Need help with Alpha & Linux installation...

Hi there,

I need some help with the installation of Linux on an Alpha machine. (Yes,
i'm kinda newbie....)
A friend gave me a Digital multia Alpha VX40b and i want to do something
with it, but i don't know where to start.
I think there's no OS installed and i want to get Linux on it. (I just
d/l-ed the Redhat 7.1 (Alpha) iso's)
The machine doesn't have a cd-rom drive, but it has a fdd, network adapter &
a hd....

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Auke Schrijnen

2. Need variable to hold long wordlists

3. linux 2.1.13 & milo on an alpha pc164

4. System refuses all keyboad/mouse input (NVidia GeForce 2)

5. Need HELP! Experts on Linux installation, please!

6. hp unix question

7. UNIX tru 64 version 5a installation problem on alpha-need help!

8. montego turtle beach ii sound card

9. PC164 beep code -help please

10. I need a multiserial board, please help !

11. PC164 (not LX) w/ Qlogic isp2100 FC-AL board: anybody ever got one working?

12. PC164 Board ATX Backplate Wanted

13. About Alpha 21164-P7 500 CPU & PC164 mb.