Install failure with redhat-6.0 on PC164LX w/SRM

Install failure with redhat-6.0 on PC164LX w/SRM

Post by Bill Zettle » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Ah! Someone with the same problem I had!

Your problem is that you weren't supposed to use Disk Druid at all. Never mind
the fact that it's sitting there as a valid option in the install scripts; it
lays out the partition table in a way the BIOS (in my case, the AlphaBIOS) can't
read or grok. You're lucky it got to the point where it told you you have a bad
partition block - AlphaBIOS just refuses to talk to the drive in that state, and
requires a

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

to reset it, destroying the world.

BTW, if you have a MILO floppy built, you can boot off of that, and *it* can
read the Druid partitions just fine. Or boot MILO from the CD you burned.

Rebuild your partitions with FDISK and be a happy man - either attempt to put
them where the last partitions were (might work), or reinstall afterwards. You
have the excuse of not having the documentation. I did not, and simply not
having read the documentation very carefully (which is what I did) doesn't
garner nearly as much sympathy. The Red Hat Alpha Addendum Installation Guide
was the reason I forked over the $40 for the Alpha disk set. It's not completely
useless.

Hope this is helpful,
Bill

Post by Torbjorn Granlun » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Well, I have some Alpha PC164LX systems, and I need to run Linux on one of
them since we'll have a contract that requires us to deliver alpha-linux
executables.  All these machines have until date ran *BSD.

So, I downloaded ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.0/alpha.  After a
lot of guesswork, reading of the scattered Linux documentation, and trial
and error, I finally tried making floppies from generic.img and ramdisk.img,
and booting these on the system.

Quote:>>> boot dva0

[...]

Post by Xiaozhou Qi » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

  I agree that it is a bit difficult to install Linux on Alpha system and the
documents are not complete. However, people are always trying to do better. I
wish that you would enjoy Linux soon.

Quote:>> "I just need to type "boot dqa0" to SRM.  Right?"

      It is not correct, I think.

    You may visit my website to get more information on booting from SRM.

Xiaozhou Qiu

http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/alpha/
Linux Consortium
Interoperability Lab
UNH*/

Post by Gerdjan Buske » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> 5) Restart for the nth time from scratch.  Boy how fun this is.  This time,
>    the installation seems to proceed to completion.  At least the installer
>    says it is complete, and that the system is ready.  It is helpful enough
>    to reboot the system for me!  But that, you guessed it, doesn't work this
>    time either!  Hard reset after a looooong wait.  OK, but now I have Linux
>    on the harddrive, right?  I just need to type "boot dqa0" to SRM.  Right?

>    Well, SRM claims the disk doesn't have a valid boot block.  I redo the
>    install several times, changing various things every time.  But the
>    result is always the same, but I keep finding more glitches in the
>    install system, too numerous to describe here.

> I am without words.  I have installed *nix many times on many different
> systems.  I have even installed some MS excuses-of-an-operating-system.  I
> have never before really failed with an installation.  And I did RTFM, if

Yep. Been there.  If you want to boot form SRM , you will need a BSD
disk label.  fdisk option "b" does this.  Sorry.
I went though this recently and I promissed myself to write it all up.
Diskdruid just doesn't do the job.

On the lighter side, if Mylex get there act together I hope to have the
RAID controller working soon..

GJ.

1. Installing SRM on PC164LX that has AlphaBIOS

Hi,

We are now buying a couple of Digital UNIX licenses as well as RH 5.1 for
Alpha, and we'd like to run them both under SRM console. Our PC164LX
boards have AlphaBIOS, and we downloaded fwupdate.exe from DEC ftp site
that is supposed to contain SRM for it. However, it doesn't seem to do
the job when run from the console.

What is the way to install SRM on AlphaBIOS-equipped 164LX and do we need
any other files besides the fwupdate.exe? Where to get them?

Thanks,
Nova

2. C language Shell (Ch) from Softintegration

3. Alphabios-SRM firmware upgrade - no display PC164LX

4. Linux Novelties

5. How can I install redhat linux into pc164lx machine

6. X1l Application defaults on Solaris 7

7. Problems installing Redhat 5.0 on pc164lx

8. need script to remove duplicate lines

9. Alpha2100 RedHat 6.2 SRM install problem

10. miata redhat srm install problem

11. Install RedHat on AS 200 with SRM

12. RH 6.2 install help for Carrera Alpha PC164LX?

13. RedHat/Slackware Install Failure.(Wah)