Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Post by cwhuan » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Is there anybody compiled kernel 2.1.109 successful on Linux/Alpha?
I always encountered this error:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2
 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mno-fp-regs -ffixed-8   -c -o page_alloc.o
page_all
oc.c
page_alloc.c: In function `__free_page':
page_alloc.c:170: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
(jump_insn 300 292 301 (return) -1 (nil)
    (nil))
cpp: output pipe has been closed
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:177: Warning: Missing .end or .bend at end of file
gcc Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
make[2]: *** [page_alloc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

What's wrong with it?

My box is Alpha UDB, running Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34.

--
C.W.Huang
Coordinator of Linux HOWTOs Chinese Translation
http://www.phys.ntu.edu.tw/~cwhuang/pub/os/linux/CLDP/

 
 
 

Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Post by Jack Du » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I have the same problem with egcs 1.0.3a with optimization, along with
others in this group.  Please search for keyword "compile" in this
newgroup using dejanews.com for the past a few days, and you will get your
answer.

Jack



>Is there anybody compiled kernel 2.1.109 successful on Linux/Alpha?
>I always encountered this error:

>make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
>gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/include -Wall
>-Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mno-fp-regs -ffixed-8   -c -o page_alloc.o
>page_all
>oc.c
>page_alloc.c: In function `__free_page':
>page_alloc.c:170: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
>(jump_insn 300 292 301 (return) -1 (nil)
>    (nil))
>cpp: output pipe has been closed
>{standard input}: Assembler messages:
>{standard input}:177: Warning: Missing .end or .bend at end of file
>gcc Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
>make[2]: *** [page_alloc.o] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
>make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.109/mm'
>make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

>What's wrong with it?

>My box is Alpha UDB, running Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34.

>--
>C.W.Huang
>Coordinator of Linux HOWTOs Chinese Translation
>http://www.phys.ntu.edu.tw/~cwhuang/pub/os/linux/CLDP/


--

^------------------------------------------------------------------^

 
 
 

Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Post by cwhuan » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I tried to compile 2.1.110 yesterday, but failed again,
with different reason...
Why?

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.110/mm'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.110/mm'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.1.110/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mno-fp-regs -ffixed-8   -c -o vmalloc.o
vmalloc.c
vmalloc.c: In function `get_vm_area':
vmalloc.c:165: `VMALLOC_END' undeclared (first use this function)
vmalloc.c:165: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
vmalloc.c:165: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [vmalloc.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.110/mm'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.110/mm'
make[1]: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.110'
make: *** [mm] Error 2

--
C.W.Huang
Coordinator of Linux HOWTOs Chinese Translation
http://www.phys.ntu.edu.tw/~cwhuang/pub/os/linux/CLDP/

 
 
 

Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Post by Douglas G. Hen » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> I tried to compile 2.1.110 yesterday, but failed again,
> with different reason...
> Why?

> vmalloc.c:165: `VMALLOC_END' undeclared (first use this function)

Yes.

There is a bad vmalloc patch that slipped in somehwere in the general
vicinity of 2.1.110pre2->2.1.110. AFAIK, it is still in the latest
(2.1.111pre1?). If you want to compile a kernel this recent, you must
back out the vmalloc patch (patch -R) by hand.

Also, you might think about subscribing to the kernel mailing list,
where this issue (and others like it) get covered in painful detail,
some days before you'll see them mentioned on Uselessnet. Beware,
though: the kernel ML has >200 messages per day, at times.

--
Headers munged to avoid email spam. Mail to henke at phoenix dot net.

 
 
 

Cannot compile kernel 2.1.109

Post by Peter Ry » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00




> > I tried to compile 2.1.110 yesterday, but failed again,
> > with different reason...
> > Why?

> > vmalloc.c:165: `VMALLOC_END' undeclared (first use this function)

> Yes.

> There is a bad vmalloc patch that slipped in somehwere in the general
> vicinity of 2.1.110pre2->2.1.110. AFAIK, it is still in the latest
> (2.1.111pre1?). If you want to compile a kernel this recent, you must
> back out the vmalloc patch (patch -R) by hand.

Unfortunately this won't quite allow a compile, because there is a bit more
alpha specific stuff that is broken.
A patch for 2.1.110/Alpha was posted on the kernel list today. I've just
compiled a new kernel which seems OK.

It should be available in the kernel list archives somewhere.
I'll email you a copy anyway as it's not too big.

Linux picu-sgh.demon.co.uk 2.1.110 #7 Wed Jul 22 19:15:30 BST 1998 alpha unknown
  8:44pm  up  1:06,  3 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.14, 0.04

 
 
 

1. 2.5.72 Badness in local_bh_enable at kernel/softirq.c:109

This appears to be reproducible and happened when trying to run the
PPPoE daemon on a non-existent ethernet interface.

kernel: Badness in local_bh_enable at kernel/softirq.c:109
kernel: Call Trace:
kernel:  [<c011c6cc>] local_bh_enable+0x6c/0x70
kernel:  [<e0867b71>] ppp_async_push+0x91/0x160 [ppp_async]
kernel:  [<e08674dd>] ppp_asynctty_wakeup+0x2d/0x60 [ppp_async]
kernel:  [<c01ee164>] pty_unthrottle+0x54/0x60
kernel:  [<c01eaffb>] check_unthrottle+0x3b/0x40
kernel:  [<c01eb074>] n_tty_flush_buffer+0x14/0x60
kernel:  [<c01ee4df>] pty_flush_buffer+0x5f/0x70
kernel:  [<c01e7f09>] do_tty_hangup+0x319/0x370
kernel:  [<c01e9144>] release_dev+0x5a4/0x5e0
kernel:  [<c01382fe>] zap_pmd_range+0x4e/0x70
kernel:  [<c0138361>] unmap_page_range+0x41/0x70
kernel:  [<c01e94c1>] tty_release+0x11/0x20
kernel:  [<c01466a1>] __fput+0xe1/0xf0
kernel:  [<c0144feb>] filp_close+0x4b/0x80
kernel:  [<c011a4e7>] put_files_struct+0x67/0xd0
kernel:  [<c011af39>] do_exit+0xf9/0x320
kernel:  [<c011b204>] do_group_exit+0x34/0x80
kernel:  [<c0109003>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

--
ciao, |
Marco | [1639 pazSgKbgibZDU]
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. setup for multiple swapable linux system

3. Badness in softirq.c 109, possible fix

4. Help setting up an avatar shark pcmcia removable drive

5. Alpha 2.1.109?

6. unknown password

7. 2.5.66-bk5 spinlock warnings/errors - Specifically ide-io:109 spinlock notice

8. netscape won't start, solution

9. troubles installing linux 109

10. linux 109 doesn't install right.

11. 2.1.109: TR Broken?

12. No errpt via smit (1800-109, 1800-107)

13. AIX 4.3.3 ML5 : sem_init fails with ENOSYS (errno 109)