Multia won't enter ARC or SRM

Post by Brian Vogl » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I booted my new multia today, and it won't enter either ARC or SRM.
Previously, while I got ready to install RH 5.1, I was able to boot into ARC
and SRM.  I turned off the multia for a week and was all ready to begin
working on it today, but no dice.

Here is what I see:

"Multia SRM Console    BL3 X3.5-72, built on Nov 30 1994 at 18:22:35
 Testing Memory from 800000 to 1dd0000
 Setting console to Boot mode..."

This is all I see.  The multia hangs at this point.

Any ideas?

--Brian

Multia won't enter ARC or SRM

Post by Ron Flor » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I booted my new multia today, and it won't enter either ARC or SRM.
> Previously, while I got ready to install RH 5.1, I was able to boot into ARC
> and SRM.  I turned off the multia for a week and was all ready to begin
> working on it today, but no dice.

> Here is what I see:

> "Multia SRM Console    BL3 X3.5-72, built on Nov 30 1994 at 18:22:35
>  Testing Memory from 800000 to 1dd0000
>  Setting console to Boot mode..."

> This is all I see.  The multia hangs at this point.

> Any ideas?

 I know they get stupid if the battery gets low (like mine did...).

ron

Multia won't enter ARC or SRM

Post by Brian Vogl » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Another strange oddity:  I came back to this this evening, and it wouldn't
even drive the monitor.  Nothing at all on screen.  I disconnected the
battery, and it booted once.  Then at least 10 times it just sat there.
Eventually, after connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting the battery,
it would drive the monitor, but all I saw was a white square in the lower
left hand corner.

Getting frustrated, I decided to pop it open and check all of my
connections.  Everything looked fine.  I did reseat my RAM.  When I tried it
again, it came up fine.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of a bigger HW problem...

--Brian

>I booted my new multia today, and it won't enter either ARC or SRM.
>Previously, while I got ready to install RH 5.1, I was able to boot into
ARC
>and SRM.  I turned off the multia for a week and was all ready to begin
>working on it today, but no dice.

>Here is what I see:

>"Multia SRM Console    BL3 X3.5-72, built on Nov 30 1994 at 18:22:35
> Testing Memory from 800000 to 1dd0000
> Setting console to Boot mode..."

>This is all I see.  The multia hangs at this point.

>Any ideas?

>--Brian

Multia won't enter ARC or SRM

Post by Richard Payn » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I would seriously look into getting a new battery. The multia
seems prone to very strange behavior w/o a good battery.
You can order it from Radio Shack, go to the site in my
sig and then go to the udb-multia page. I've got the part
number there.

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://adam.cheshire.net/~rdp/alpha

>Another strange oddity:  I came back to this this evening, and it wouldn't
>even drive the monitor.  Nothing at all on screen.  I disconnected the
>battery, and it booted once.  Then at least 10 times it just sat there.
>Eventually, after connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting the battery,
>it would drive the monitor, but all I saw was a white square in the lower
>left hand corner.

>Getting frustrated, I decided to pop it open and check all of my
>connections.  Everything looked fine.  I did reseat my RAM.  When I tried
it
>again, it came up fine.

>Hopefully this isn't a sign of a bigger HW problem...

>--Brian

>>I booted my new multia today, and it won't enter either ARC or SRM.
>>Previously, while I got ready to install RH 5.1, I was able to boot into
>ARC
>>and SRM.  I turned off the multia for a week and was all ready to begin
>>working on it today, but no dice.

>>Here is what I see:

>>"Multia SRM Console    BL3 X3.5-72, built on Nov 30 1994 at 18:22:35
>> Testing Memory from 800000 to 1dd0000
>> Setting console to Boot mode..."

>>This is all I see.  The multia hangs at this point.

>>Any ideas?

>>--Brian

Multia won't enter ARC or SRM

Post by Rod Jense » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

My Multia came with an almost dead battery, and I've heard from others that
have had the same problem.  The fact that you can disconnect it, reconnect
it and get a boot indicates that you've got a little voltage left but it
fades as it is used.

Please note that Multia/166 boxes sold on Onsale were built in 1994-96 and
have probably been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years. When the
battery is connected to hardware and sitting in a hot/cold warehouse the
shelf life isn't very long...

Rod
rj[at]zafo.com

>I booted my new multia today, and it won't enter either ARC or SRM.
>Previously, while I got ready to install RH 5.1, I was able to boot into
ARC
>and SRM.  I turned off the multia for a week and was all ready to begin
>working on it today, but no dice.

>Here is what I see:

>"Multia SRM Console    BL3 X3.5-72, built on Nov 30 1994 at 18:22:35
> Testing Memory from 800000 to 1dd0000
> Setting console to Boot mode..."

>This is all I see.  The multia hangs at this point.

>Any ideas?

>--Brian

1. 'Enter key won't work'

Nicole,
        Broken keyboard?
        Try a new keyboard.
Rgds,
Stephen.
 ----------
From: Nicole Grunden

Subject: 'Enter key won't work'
Date: Friday, 6 November 1998 11:04AM

unixware 2.1.3

Why won't my 'enter' key on the number key pad work?

Please help!

2. Linux problem with compiles over NFS, help needed, NetBSD better?

3. boot from SRM into ARC/AlphaBIOS ?

4. Power Failure Question

5. SRM and ARC

6. FreeBSD/NT Dual Boot

7. Instructions on how to install the ARC firmware from an SRM console...

8. Printing and accounting

9. how change SRM to ARC boot

10. Changing from ARC to SRM

11. XL266 ARC -> SRM Possible?

12. invalid system time in arc won't go away

13. Dumb Question: what are SRM vs ARC Consoles?