Samba for Debian/Alpha Linux combo ?

Post by FalconFl » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:27:12

Hi there :)

I've gotten myself an Alpha 21064/166 (Alphastation 200), which is basically ready to work
for me.
The only thing I still need is Samba, to share a Directory on the machine to my Network.

Problem is :
I'm still a bit new to Linux (currently migrating away from Windoze ;) ), and did not find
a Samba Binary package for the Debian/Alpha combination.

I could download Sources, but I've never compiled a Source under Linux, and certainly not
under this rare combination :p

For ease of purpose, is there any precompiled Samba for Debian Alpha Linux available
anywhere, or even an alternative to share a Directory in another way to the Network ?

Greetings
FalconFly

Webmaster
http://www.falconfly.de
3dfx Archive
====================
Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

Post by Juhana Paavol » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:59:57

> Problem is :
> I'm still a bit new to Linux (currently migrating away from Windoze ;) ), and did not find
> a Samba Binary package for the Debian/Alpha combination.
> I could download Sources, but I've never compiled a Source under Linux, and certainly not
> under this rare combination :p

There is samba binaries in debian.
Just look under pool/main/s/samba/

I took samba from there and now I'm running samba server in my Miata.

Post by Oliver Rah » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:20:45

> Problem is :
> I'm still a bit new to Linux (currently migrating away from Windoze ;) ), and did not find
> a Samba Binary package for the Debian/Alpha combination.

in the current debian release (woody) for alpha samba is included.
you can type "apt-get install samba" to install it.

Oli

Post by Gian Luca Sol » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:11:29

> For ease of purpose, is there any precompiled Samba for Debian Alpha Linux available

# apt-cache search samba
# apt-get install ...    :-)

bye G.L.

--
io non ho mai detto di essere anticattolico.
(Giangia, su ICR)

Samba for Debian/Alpha Linux combo ?

Post by FalconFl » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:28:35

Thanks for all the replies, the apt-get Command I will look into; sounds like it will work
out fine :)

Greetings
FalconFly

Webmaster
http://www.falconfly.de
3dfx Archive
====================
Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

1. samba 2.0.8 broke my Debian/Alpha machine

The recent security update of Debian 2.2r3 from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 broke my
Alpha machines.  Remote Windows machines can no longer access the Alphas.
However, Alpha hosts can access the Windows machines for AMANDA backups
just fine.

Is this common to other Alpha distributions.  I have cross-posted to
debian-alpha mailing list, but haven't heard back yet.

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

2. How to set term type in AIX

3. 3COM 3C900-COMBO (Linux/Alpha)

4. About Xdisplay on a windows PC

5. Need help installing debian linux on 21164 alpha

6. FREE CASH GRANTS

7. 3Com 3C509B Combo ISA on Debian Woody?!?

8. Compatability between FreeBSD 5.0R and LTO Autoloader

9. Building Mozilla 0.9 on Alpha-Linux Debian 2.2

10. 3Com 3C900B-Combo with Debian 2.2r6

11. AVM FritzCard & Alpha 200 with Debian Linux

12. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

13. Buy SMC Ultra Elite Combo or 3com Etherlink III Combo?