memoria for PWS 600au

Post by Helder Lope » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:16:28

Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would like
to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to put
3 GBRam.
E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

Yours Truly

Helder Lopes

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:04:38

> Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would like
> to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to put
> 3 GBRam.
> E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

That's right.  Not only does it need to have ECC, it has to match some
very specific criteria, that nobody seems to know.  The older memory
you get your hands on, the chances will be better that it will work.
PC100 is fast enough.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by Tom Crabtre » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:33:22

You need for this system:
168 Pin PC66 or 100 (but not 133) ECC CL2 DRAM in matched pairs.  256mb
is largest size supported.

Check eBay.

> Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would like
> to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to put
> 3 GBRam.
> E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

> Yours Truly

> Helder Lopes

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by jukk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:45:35

> Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would like
> to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to put
> 3 GBRam.
> E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

According to FreeBSD HW notes Miatas support 1,5G RAM, of which only 1G is
usable due to the infamous Pyxis bug. I'm not sure if Miatas will
recognize DIMMs larger than 256M.

Personally I'm using generic PC133 CL3 registered ECC SDRAM in my Miata
433a. I've heard that non-registered SDRAM will also work, can someone
confirm this? AFAIK Miatas are not too picky about the memory type, as
long as it's ECC SDRAM.

memoria for PWS 600au

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:45:35 GMT

Quote:> According to FreeBSD HW notes Miatas support 1,5G RAM, of which only 1G is
> usable due to the infamous Pyxis bug. I'm not sure if Miatas will
> recognize DIMMs larger than 256M.

> Personally I'm using generic PC133 CL3 registered ECC SDRAM in my Miata
> 433a. I've heard that non-registered SDRAM will also work, can someone
> confirm this? AFAIK Miatas are not too picky about the memory type, as
> long as it's ECC SDRAM.

I had 6 regular 256 MB PC100 dimms in my PWS500au, and it worked fine.
Never noticed any trouble with Pyxis bugs or the like under Linux.

Jurriaan
--
#ifdef __LITERAL_BIBLICAL_FUNDAMENTALISM
#define PI 3.0                          /* 1 Kings 7:23 */

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by Reinhard Eigne » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:59:34

Hi!

I have 2x 128 MB DIMMs from DEC and 2x 256 MB PC133 CL3 ECC from Kingston im
my PWS600au.
Before that the Kingston DIMMs worked in my Athlon system.

Reinhard

Quote:> Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would
like
> to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to
put
> 3 GBRam.
> E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

> Yours Truly

> Helder Lopes

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:56:41

>> Hello I got a Alpha PWS 600au with 128 MRam which is 2 of 64 M I would like
>> to know if anyone got this machine on each DIMM 512 MRAM.I would like to put
>> 3 GBRam.
>> E think that the memory for it has to ECC and that's it am I right??

> According to FreeBSD HW notes Miatas support 1,5G RAM, of which only 1G is
> usable due to the infamous Pyxis bug. I'm not sure if Miatas will
> recognize DIMMs larger than 256M.

> Personally I'm using generic PC133 CL3 registered ECC SDRAM in my Miata
> 433a. I've heard that non-registered SDRAM will also work, can someone
> confirm this? AFAIK Miatas are not too picky about the memory type, as
> long as it's ECC SDRAM.

I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
few of them were recognized.  Could you post the exact part number of
your modules?  The part number of the individual chips is also
interesting, as well as the number of chips.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by Torsten Zirzlaf » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:14:28

[deletia]

> I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
> few of them were recognized.  Could you post the exact part number of
> your modules?  The part number of the individual chips is also
> interesting, as well as the number of chips.

> --
> M?ns Rullg?rd

  Well, could you then publish the modules which run fine in a Miata?

  BTW, did I understand correctly that modules larger than 256MB are
not working in a Miata?

Ciao

  Torsten

--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten Zirzlaff
        70190 Stuttgart

mobil: +49 174 857 56 77

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'                  |

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:00:46

> [deletia]

>> I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
>> few of them were recognized.  Could you post the exact part number of
>> your modules?  The part number of the individual chips is also
>> interesting, as well as the number of chips.

>   Well, could you then publish the modules which run fine in a Miata?

I posted a list of all modules I've tried in any Alpha some months
ago.  Use google.

Quote:>   BTW, did I understand correctly that modules larger than 256MB are
> not working in a Miata?

That's what the specs say.  The specs for sx164 say it's limited to
128MB, but 256 works just fine.  I do believe that 256 is the limit,
thought.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by cyri » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:22:27

>>[deletia]

>>>I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
>>>few of them were recognized.  Could you post the exact part number of
>>>your modules?  The part number of the individual chips is also
>>>interesting, as well as the number of chips.

>>  Well, could you then publish the modules which run fine in a Miata?

> I posted a list of all modules I've tried in any Alpha some months
> ago.  Use google.

>>  BTW, did I understand correctly that modules larger than 256MB are
>>not working in a Miata?

> That's what the specs say.  The specs for sx164 say it's limited to
> 128MB, but 256 works just fine.  I do believe that 256 is the limit,
> thought.

Thats right i've just put some 512 MB modules in a 164lx and it beep. :(

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by jukk » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:30:05

> I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
> few of them were recognized.

Really? Maybe I'm just lucky... =) You do know that they must be installed in
pairs?

Could you post the exact part number of

Quote:> your modules?  The part number of the individual chips is also
> interesting, as well as the number of chips.

Here you are, HTH:

128M Registered ECC SDRAM CL3
Samsung M390S1723CT1-C75Q0
9 x Samsung K4S280832C-TC75

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:44:49

>> I've tried several different ECC SDRAM modules in my Miata, and very
>> few of them were recognized.

> Really? Maybe I'm just lucky... =) You do know that they must be
> installed in pairs?

I installed them in pairs of identical modules.

Quote:>> Could you post the exact part number of your modules?  The part
>> number of the individual chips is also interesting, as well as the
>> number of chips.

> Here you are, HTH:

> 128M Registered ECC SDRAM CL3
> Samsung M390S1723CT1-C75Q0
> 9 x Samsung K4S280832C-TC75

The ones I tried were 256 MB.  Maybe the constraints on those are
harder.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by jukk » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:48:58

> The ones I tried were 256 MB.  Maybe the constraints on those are
> harder.

Just a thought: were those one- or twosided? Mine are twosided.

memoria for PWS 600au

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:29:09

>> The ones I tried were 256 MB.  Maybe the constraints on those are
>> harder.

> Just a thought: were those one- or twosided? Mine are twosided.

I don't remember what all of them were like, but I do remember some
one-sided ones failing.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

1. Digital PWS 600au, does RedHat 7 work on this thing?

This is so weird. I have gotten Red Hat  6 to work on the 600au's at least
20 times but whenever we try to install 7 on the 600au, the graphical
installation displays a bunch of weird characters and just locks up. When we
do the installation text based the install completes, but then it just never
boots. Mandrake 7 graphical install works better but that damn thing is
never able to boot either. Will someone, anyone that has been able to get
Redhat 7 or Mandrake 7.x to run on the 600au please let me know how u did it
because I just cant see what we are doing wrong.

2. ftape ? How to display all tar files on tape?

3. PWS 600au network problems

4. Switch network configuration on demand

5. RedHat 7 and PWS 600au

6. PS/2 mouse jitter

7. pws and 212? Price for pws 433?

8. Configuring automatic callback