ext2 filesystem

Post by Eran Dvey-Aharo » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

I have a new raid attached to my linux box I intend to use as a file
server.
I created a filesystem , formatted it , and using it.

I have the following problems with this filesystem:
1. In case of a crash, the fsck process on ext2 takes a long time (for
such big filesystem ~ 100 GB)
2. In the future, if I'll buy more disks to my raid, I'll have to define

another logical disks on the raid partition instead of being able to
enlarge the current partition. (For example, NT's partition magic or
Digital Unix's advfs can enlarge partitions).

Please send me solutions for there two problems on ext2, or some other
well supported and reasonable performance filesystem I can construct.

Is anyone developing ADVFS for linux? I know about the readonly system,
but I need read/write. Is it recommened ? Stable ? Performance ?

Eran.

ext2 filesystem

Post by Jeff Stur » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Please send me solutions for there two problems on ext2, or some other
> well supported and reasonable performance filesystem I can construct.

Yep, ext2 has limits... that's why there's been talk about a journaling
filesystem for Linux.  XFS might help, someday...

What blocksize did you use for your 100GB partition?  I've had
considerably better luck using 4k or even 16k blocksizes on large ext2
filesystems.

Jeff

ext2 filesystem

#2 was recently fixed -- there is an "ext2resize" program available
now, although it isn't that well tested.

#1 is a challenge. If you use bigger blocks and reduce your inodes to
what you actually need, you can reduce fsck time today. But the usual
solution is using a journaling filesystem. There is at least one such
effort underway, in addition to SGI's XFS, which will take quite a bit
of integration to get put into Linux.

Quote:> Is anyone developing ADVFS for linux? I know about the readonly system,
> but I need read/write. Is it recommened ? Stable ? Performance ?

LBL is planning on doing this port. I don't know what the timeframe
for delivery is, though, or if the result will be available.

-- g

1. How come I can't mount an ext2 filesystem as ext2?

This is an odd little problem, which has me thoroughly perplexed.
I have a Panasonic Powerdrive (650Mb rewriteable optical) which
I recently got working withy my Linux system. It reads VFAT (Win95)
formatted disks just fine. Now, here is where the confusion comes
in. I've gone in, deleted the DOS partitions (from one of my opticals),
 and set the whole disk
to be a single type 83 partition usig the partition tool (the name
of which I cn't even remember right now.) Then, I went and formatted
the partition to be an ext2 (type 83) partition using mkfs. (Actually,
using mke2fs or whatever the ext2-specific mkfs subprogram is.)
Again, no problem--got all the proper messages, 1 out of every
8192 blocks reserved as a superblock backup, etc. So, then I can
go to mount the disk, but I can only mount it as a VFAT partition!
Not only can I mount it, but I can read and write it correctly
as well. However, trying to mount it as an ext2 partition gives
me a "wrong file type or bad superblock" sort of error. But,
the partitioning tool still reports only one partition, of
type 83, on the entire disk. What the heck is going on here?

A separate, and much more minor question. I've written two little
scripts, to let me easily mount and unmount the optical disks.
They work fine when I run them as root, but I get a "only root
can do that operation" (i.e. mount/umount) when I run them under
my normal account, _even though_ the scripts are SUID/SGID root.
Is there some other restriction I'm not aware of?

Thanks for all the help. If you're trying to get a PD working,
drop me a line--it's not hard, but it is a bit obscure, and having
gone through it, I'm glad to help.

Yours,
Ken McDonald

Kenneth McDonald
Genome Sequencing Center

Phone: 314-286-1831

2. Matrox G200 + X ???

3. Problem with 2nd SCSI drive and ext2 filesystem (oops)

4. Apache: Two Domains, One web page

5. Corrupted ext2 filesystem - retry

6. using other than /bin/login with telnetd ?

7. XWIN causes ext2 filesystem meltdown!

8. problem with 3 drives

9. ext2 filesystem vs. xfs

10. to find free data blocks in group zero of EXT2 filesystem

11. Help for linux ext2 filesystem

12. Running fsck on ext2 filesystems

13. ext2 filesystem and duplicate blocks