Progress report on loading SuSE on a 500HZ Enorex SCSI box

Progress report on loading SuSE on a 500HZ Enorex SCSI box

Post by George Erhar » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When last you heard from me, I was trying to get SuSE 6.3 to boot from the
hard disk. The corrective steps that I took were:

1. Boot from CD and proceed with installation up to the dialog for
installing Linux from scratch. Press ALT-F2 to get to a new shell
prompt.

2. type:

    mount /dev/sda1 /boot     -- change the partition to match what ever you
did
    mount /dev/scd1 /cdrom  -- again ... adjust
    cp /cdrom/etc/vmlinux.gz /boot
    umount /boot
    umount /cdrom
    reboot

3. At this point, I was still "booting" from the CDROM, but Milo was the
only
thing that was loading. So, after reboot, the MILO> prompt appears, and I
typed:

boot sda1:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda4

Obviously, you will want to change the partitions to fit your system.
At this point, Linux booted from my SCSI disk andthe rest of the SuSE
installation completed. I then mounted my dos partition:

mount -t msdos /dev/sda2 /dos

and copied the necessary milo/linload files:

mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom
cp /cdrom/milo/pc164/* /dos

5. I stopped the system with a shutdown -h 0 and hit the reset switch
6. I built a new ARC boot option for loading from the hard disk.

    Loadidentifier=Boot_Linux_From_Disk
    SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    OsLoader=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\linload.exe
    OsLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    OsLoadFilename=\milo
    OsLoadOptions=boot sda1:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda4

NOTE: my partitions are:

   sda1    - 20MB, ext2, /boot
   sda2    - 20MB, msdos, /dos
   sda3    - 299MB, swap
   sda4    - 3.5GB, ext2, /

I hope this will help someone else.

George

PS, my next task is to find out why the machine freezes when I use the KDE
browser to look at web pages.

1. SuSE 6.3 on an Enorex/PC164 system HELP!!!!

I have been attempting to load SuSE 6.3 on to this Alpha system and
have encountered numerous problems. The SuSE manual leaves alot
to be desired, but basically, I have milo loading from the CDROM via
the ARC firmware. Unfortunately, the manual calls for the OSLOADOPTIONS
to be set to:

boot scd0:/etc/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/scd0 fake_initrd

Milo dumps a ton of complains about being unable to read the CD, then
drops to the MILO> prompt. At this point, I can type:

scd0:

and after 4 "sr_photocd: ioctl error (TOSHIBA #1): 0x1" messages, it
seems to be mounted and then I can do "ls" and "cd" commands to cruise
the CD file structure.

If I then type in the above boot command, it starts up the kernel and then
drops the following on the console:

VFS: Mounted root (iso9660 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136K freed
Warning: unable to open initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Of course, it is dead in the water at this point. My question is:

How can I get past this init problem? I tried the obvious init=fake_initrd.
I am assuming that the "fake_initrd" was suppose to get around
not having an init file when booting up for the installation.

Thanks in advance!

2. safe way to restart when new xwindows configuration hangs?

3. Linux/Alpha Progress Report - Part 1

4. SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop Slated For June

5. Boca v.34 & Actix GE32+ upgrade...progress report.

6. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 3837873633

7. THIRD HARD DRIVE: Progress Report

8. SVGALIB doesn't have all my video modes

9. dhcpcd and recent kernels: progress(?) report

10. PROGRESS REPORT: Re: Minor probs. after upgrade RH4.1 -> RH4.2

11. Linux/Alpha Progress Report - Part 2

12. HotSpot progress report

13. Using Win* clients and Inet to access QuickBooks samba shares: progress report