Alpha XL 266 hardware compatibility questions

Alpha XL 266 hardware compatibility questions

Post by Watson Bel » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:34:27

Hi there,

I've managed to get Redhat 7.1 installed on my XL 266, however I have a
couple of queries regarding hardware

1) The 1GB SCSI disk I have is just a little on the small side. Due to the
cost of SCSI disks I am toying with the idea of getting an IDE drive. As the
266 is a fairly old box I am concerned that the Board may not support larger
hard drives. The compaq web site seems to "lack" information on this, I have
upgraded to the latest version of the firmware for the box. Can anyone
advise?

2) I'm looking to install an ethernet card into the Alpha so I can configure
it as a firewall/mail server for my Windoze 98 pc, would anyone recommend
any particular cards either 10mbs or 100 mbs and where would I download
drivers from.

Thanks in advance.

Watson

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:18:44

> I've managed to get Redhat 7.1 installed on my XL 266, however I have a
> couple of queries regarding hardware
> 1) The 1GB SCSI disk I have is just a little on the small side. Due to the
> cost of SCSI disks I am toying with the idea of getting an IDE drive. As the
> 266 is a fairly old box I am concerned that the Board may not support larger
> hard drives.

This is, most likely, side issue.  Once you boot your machine Linux
should see the whole disk does not matter what your BIOS thinks about
it.  More serious problems are:
  1) Does your firmware recognizes IDE disks at all?
  2) If yes then can it boot from it (small, as you can still boot
     from your current disk).
  3) If IDE is recognized then on the old board you have, most likely,
     "the real IDE" controller.  And that means that it will eat CPU like
     crazy and will significantly slow down your machine hitting also
     on a bus.  "Modern IDE" ATA disks will be likely not relevant as
     your controller probably will not know how to use their features.

If you can find used SCSI disk, say some 4-8 Megs, this may turned out
to be much better investment.  Or maybe your IDE controller is really
ok?  I do not know but I would be surprised a bit.

Quote:> 2) I'm looking to install an ethernet card into the Alpha so I can configure
> it as a firewall/mail server for my Windoze 98 pc, would anyone recommend
> any particular cards either 10mbs or 100 mbs and where would I download
> drivers from.

You have a big pile of drivers in your /lib/modules/.... directory and
most of anything should work.  Let 'kudzu' find your card and it should
figure it out which driver to use.  AFAIK current 'tulip' driver is
broken for most of Tulip cards (although not for all) but in such cases
usually 'de4x5' can be used if you are not too demanding.

  Michal

Post by Jürgen Schr?de » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:49:38

: 2) I'm looking to install an ethernet card into the Alpha so I can configure
: it as a firewall/mail server for my Windoze 98 pc, would anyone recommend
: any particular cards either 10mbs or 100 mbs and where would I download
: drivers from.

I  use a ne2000 clone in my xl266, no probs. Common drivers in the linux
source tree.

Juergen

Alpha XL 266 hardware compatibility questions

Post by Patrick Pau » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 05:37:09

for rock solid stability, you can get an etherexpress pro intel nic.

honestly, almost any new nic you can get anywhere has support.  do watch out
for tulips though, they do have some issues as of late, but if you stick
with the kernels redhat supplies, you should be all set.  in that case,
anything by dlink, linksys, netgear, kingston will do.

--
Patrick Paul
Microway.com

Quote:> Hi there,

> I've managed to get Redhat 7.1 installed on my XL 266, however I have a
> couple of queries regarding hardware

> 1) The 1GB SCSI disk I have is just a little on the small side. Due to the
> cost of SCSI disks I am toying with the idea of getting an IDE drive. As
the
> 266 is a fairly old box I am concerned that the Board may not support
larger
> hard drives. The compaq web site seems to "lack" information on this, I
have
> upgraded to the latest version of the firmware for the box. Can anyone
> advise?

> 2) I'm looking to install an ethernet card into the Alpha so I can
configure
> it as a firewall/mail server for my Windoze 98 pc, would anyone recommend
> any particular cards either 10mbs or 100 mbs and where would I download
> drivers from.

> Thanks in advance.

> Watson

1. help on alpha xl 266 (alpha proc)

I han an XL 266 shipped with an alpha processor.

I'm able to boot with milo.

i try to start the kernel (i wanne to install red hat 7.0 downloaded from
linuxiso.org)
my partition are

sda1 10Mb fat
sda2 10Mb fat
sda3 256Mb swap
sda4 4Gb ex2 (root)

boor sr0:kernels-vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda4

2. ppp + routing

3. Alpha XL 266 questions

4. Device Drivers & STREAMS

5. Alpha XL 266 slower than a PPro 180??

6. nitemare analysts would love to -TLA

7. Install woes with RedHat 6.0 on Alpha XL 266

8. kernel patch

9. Redhat 6.1 on Alpha XL 266

10. Alpha XL-266 and Matrox Millenium problem

11. Software recommendation wanted for Alpha XL 266

12. help on alpha XL 266

13. Linux on ALPHA XL 266