how to reformat?

Post by Sweth Chandramoul » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

        okay, so i've got a nifty montrose (1164sx) alpha from aspen,
with redhat 5.1 already loaded on it, and linux set as the only boot
option in alphabios.  my problem--the machine isn't in production use
as yet, and i'd like to learn how to set up alpha linux myself while i
still have the chance.  as far as i can tell, however, there's no
bootable dos partition, and the bios doesn't allow booting from floppy.
so how do i wipe this machine clean to start over?  can i do it from
in linux itself, or do i need to somehow install some other os--and if
the latter, which should i install?  while i'm at it, is there a good
book or primer out there to serve as an intro to the alpha world--how
it's similar/different to x86, for example?
        (on a mildly-related note that will probably become very related
once i figure out how to wipe the machine, why do all of the alpha-linux
howtos i find only describe installing milo via the arc console, when
from what i can tell, new alphas all use alphabios instead?)

        tia,
        sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli
IS Coordinator, The George Washington University

how to reformat?

Post by Richard Payn » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> okay, so i've got a nifty montrose (1164sx) alpha from aspen,
>with redhat 5.1 already loaded on it, and linux set as the only boot
>option in alphabios.  my problem--the machine isn't in production use
>as yet, and i'd like to learn how to set up alpha linux myself while i
>still have the chance.  as far as i can tell, however, there's no
>bootable dos partition, and the bios doesn't allow booting from floppy.
>so how do i wipe this machine clean to start over?  can i do it from
>in linux itself, or do i need to somehow install some other os--and if
>the latter, which should i install?

You can do it during the install phase of which ever distribution you
install. Just partition you drives (or leave the partitions that are already
there) and then just have the installer format the partitions. I know RedHat
allows this and I'm the others must also.

Quote:>while i'm at it, is there a good
>book or primer out there to serve as an intro to the alpha world--how
>it's similar/different to x86, for example?

What information are you looking for specifically. Check out the web site
in my sig, there's some resources on there that might help you.

Quote:> (on a mildly-related note that will probably become very related
>once i figure out how to wipe the machine, why do all of the alpha-linux
>howtos i find only describe installing milo via the arc console, when
>from what i can tell, new alphas all use alphabios instead?)

Well, the alpha-linux howto is a little out of date at the moment. I'm try
to find
the original authors (both addresses in there just bounce back) so that we
can
take it over and start updating it for things like alphabios. The problem in
my
case is that I only have an old machine with ARC/SRM and no AlphaBIOS, and
at this point I can't afford to buy a new one so I have to live through the
experiences
of others.

> tia,
> sweth.

>--
>Sweth Chandramouli
>IS Coordinator, The George Washington University

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

how to reformat?

Post by Sweth Chandramou » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>You can do it during the install phase of which ever distribution you
>install. Just partition you drives (or leave the partitions that are already
>there) and then just have the installer format the partitions. I know RedHat
>allows this and I'm the others must also.

        oops... bad choice of words in my subject, i guess.  i want to start
this install from scratch, meaning i _do_ want to repartition the drives;
i can't figure out how to do that, however.  for x86, i'd just pop in a
floppy with fdisk or partition magic, but as i mentioned, this machine doesn't
allow booting from floppy; for solaris (which is where i have most of my
experience), you have to partition the disks during install anyway, so
it isn't an issue.  so, to be more explicit, "how do i repartition the drives?"

Quote:>>while i'm at it, is there a good
>>book or primer out there to serve as an intro to the alpha world--how
>>it's similar/different to x86, for example?
>What information are you looking for specifically. Check out the web site
>in my sig, there's some resources on there that might help you.

        i did check it out, and it seems like it will be a lot of help--once
i get to the linux install phase.  :)  right now, i'm just trying to
familiarize myself with the hardware.  i guess part of my confusion is that
i'm used to linux being installed with at least one other os (like dos)
on x86 systems; using dos to install the linux loader and bootstrap the
linux install makes sense to me, whereas i can't figure out how this machine
was installed at all.  from what (very little) i know of alphas, there isn't
an alpha version of ms-dos, so i don't know where to begin.

Quote:>Well, the alpha-linux howto is a little out of date at the moment. I'm try
>to find
>the original authors (both addresses in there just bounce back) so that we
>can
>take it over and start updating it for things like alphabios. The problem in
>my
>case is that I only have an old machine with ARC/SRM and no AlphaBIOS, and
>at this point I can't afford to buy a new one so I have to live through the
>experiences
>of others.

        well, if you and the others here can help me muddle my way through
this install, i think i'll be able to go back and redo it enough times to
figure it out and write it up for addition to the howto.

        -- sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli
IS Coordinator, The George Washington University

1. Reformatting man pages. Why does it fail?

On our linux box, whenever I want a manp page I get the following types
of errors:

man: can't create /var/catman/cat1/20462: Permission denied
man: can't unlink /var/catman/cat1/20462: Permission denied

Now it's clear to me, that this is catman trying to create the formatted
man page and failing because I can't write to the appropriate
directories.

What I can't find from the manuals easily is why that's the case, or
better said how best to fix it. Two clear options exist:

1) Make the catman disks publically writeable
2) Run man with a setuid or setgid that can write to them

Are there and others? More to the point, what is the norm? Why do I have
this prblem at all? Something clearly isn't cool about the setup.

--
Bernd Wechner
Suite 101's (not so) Roving Hitch-hiking Editor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. FBSD & IBM Laptop

3. Reformatting libraries?

4. Dead SSA drives in a HACMP environment

5. How do I reformat ?

6. CDROM: SONY CDU 55E

7. How to check and reformat a SCSI hard disk in SCO UNIX

8. Any experience with aacraid.o ?

9. Without reformatting??

10. reformatting partitions

11. How do I uninstall Linux and reformat HD

12. how to recover/reformat a drive?

13. reformatting using sed/awk