Hardware Purchasing Advice

Post by Allen Unuec » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I currently have an old Raptor ReFlex with a 21164a 433Mhz CPU.  As I
have found out this system will not easily run Linux :(

I would like to make use of some of this hardware if I could.  What I
was hoping to do now is to buy an Alpha ATX motherboard to use with
this CPU.

I have a few questions as I am new to the Alpha scene.

How much is a 433Mhz CPU worth? It is worth getting a motherboard for
this CPU?  Would it make more sense to get a new motherboard and a
newer (~600Mhz) CPU? Is there an Alpha hardware equivalent to
pricewatch.com? Are there places like tomshardware.com that compare
Alpha motherboards?

For this system I wouldn t mind getting used equipment.

I m anxious to try out Alpha Linux and compare it to the x86 boxes I
use.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

Hardware Purchasing Advice

Post by Andrei A. Dergatch » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>Hi,
[snip]
>I have a few questions as I am new to the Alpha scene.

http://www.alphalinux.org
is the best place for almost all your questions.

Quote:

>How much is a 433Mhz CPU worth? It is worth getting a motherboard for
>this CPU?  Would it make more sense to get a new motherboard and a
>newer (~600Mhz) CPU? Is there an Alpha hardware equivalent to
>pricewatch.com? Are there places like tomshardware.com that compare
>Alpha motherboards?

You may want to have a look at Redhat axp-list's archive at
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/axp-list/
As you might guess, many of your question were discussed
already :-)

Myself I have a 21164 SX 533MHz system and do not have
any problems with RH Linux. This is cheapest Alpha system
which isn't counted as "old" yet, and mobo/processor combo
will cost about $150 (ebay) - $300 (many official suppliers).

600MHz system will run at considerable higher prices and
I don't think you'll need their 2/4MB cache for a lot more $$
(SX mobo has 1MB).

Quote:

>For this system I wouldn t mind getting used equipment.

>I m anxious to try out Alpha Linux and compare it to the x86 boxes I
>use.

It must be #1 topic around AlphaLinux :-) Alpha's fp performance
is unbeatable for pentiums, rest is rather similar, except that 64-bit
OS gives you more *fun* :-))

Quote:

>Thanks in advance,
>Allen

Good luck,

Andrei

Hardware Purchasing Advice

Post by Eric Christ » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have never seen a 533 MHz SX mobo/processor combo go
for under ~$550 on Ebay.  Nor have I found any `official'
suppliers willing to sell them for $300.  I would certainly
love to know of any.

-Eric Christy

[snip]

Quote:> Myself I have a 21164 SX 533MHz system and do not have
> any problems with RH Linux. This is cheapest Alpha system
> which isn't counted as "old" yet, and mobo/processor combo
> will cost about $150 (ebay) - $300 (many official suppliers).

Hardware Purchasing Advice

Post by Andrei A. Dergatch » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>I have never seen a 533 MHz SX mobo/processor combo go
>for under ~$550 on Ebay.  Nor have I found any `official'
>suppliers willing to sell them for $300.  I would certainly
>love to know of any.

You know ebay has no archives like dejanews, so I wasn't
able to track it back. As I have a SX myself, I definitely
remember seeing it on Ebay ~1.5-2 months ago (I remember
at that time I was reading DEC site about HW info and was
surprised to see their "official" SX picture on ebay). However,
I agree that I'd better do not state only the lowest price
possible. As for $300 I definitely remember seeing table like
SX - $300; LX - $750; UX - $1050 somewhere. As well I can't
find at the moment where I saw it, sorry. Do you think it
was price for mobo only, without processor ? Otherwise
I can't explain our mismatch in information. I'm too young
to imagine that my memory failed twice on the subject
in which I'm very interested in :-)
Quote:

>-Eric Christy

Regards,

Andrei

Hardware Purchasing Advice

Post by Andrei A. Dergatch » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I have to apologize to original poster for possible
misinformation I caused because I still not able to trace
back where did I get my figures.

One recent posting I found containing price is that :
http://x10.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=431652192&CONTEXT=920885557.2101805056&hitnum=1328
($495 for SX/cpu).

Regards,

Andrei

1. need advice on new hardware purchase

I am planning to purchase a new pc for home use.  I still plan to run
windows so my wife can use the computer, but I plan on installing
Linux.  I currently have Slackware 3.0 running on an old 386DX40.  My
question is what is the best ( the most reliable ) hardware to run
Linux.

I plan on having 32 meg of ram
256k or 512k cache?
Should I go scsi or eide hard drive?
Cyrix P+150 or Intel P133?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  You can email your responses
to:

2. posix shared memory -

3. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)

4. How to debug multiple processes

5. Advice on system purchase

6. Cheap Color PostScript Printers?

7. PC Purchase Advice Needed

8. Exabyte 4200c/mt/tar

9. Advice to purchase Linux

10. Scrolling mouse purchase advice

11. Advice on modem purchase please

12. seeking advice on laptop purchase

13. Seeking Ethernet Card Purchase Advice