Multiport serial cards VS multiport USB hubs.

Multiport serial cards VS multiport USB hubs.

Post by Pixelise » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:05:28

    I am considering starting up a small Internet Service Provider using a
Linux/Alpha based machine that has USB support. I was considering buying an
8 port serial card to hook up the dialin modems (haven't bought the modems
as yet). But the prices for multiport serial card hardware is quite
expensive compared to another alternative, multiport USB hubs.
Has anyone here setup up an ISP using USB hubs and USB modems?

Multiport serial cards VS multiport USB hubs.

Post by Pixelise » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:16:46

Quote:>     I am considering starting up a small Internet Service Provider using a
> Linux/Alpha based machine that has USB support. I was considering buying
an
> 8 port serial card to hook up the dialin modems (haven't bought the modems
> as yet). But the prices for multiport serial card hardware is quite
> expensive compared to another alternative, multiport USB hubs.
> Has anyone here setup up an ISP using USB hubs and USB modems?

Ooops... perhaps my thinking might be a little early. I think Linux USB
support is only basic; mouse and keyboard hardware...

1. Using IBM USB Multiport Hub

I have got one of these. Has anyone had any luck addressing the ports on
this ? (what are the /dev entries ?).

I have connected a palm pilot hotsync cradle to the hub and made the symlink
:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 May 17 04:01 pilot -> usb/ttyUSB0

(I just guessed that this would be the serial port on the hub).

2. Info on mod_limit module?

3. anyone using multiport USB -> serial devices

4. PPP problems with linux

5. SALE: RocketPort Multiport Serial Card

6. How 2 mk a bootable system tape?

7. Device driver for the Decision PCCOM8 multiport serial card

8. Generating Income with your Local Linux User Group

9. Question: Setting up a Multiport serial card

10. Looking for Suggestions for Multiport Serial card

11. seeking recommendations for a multiport serial card

12. multiport serial PCI card

13. Equinox SST Multiport Serial Card Drivers?