JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by ral.. » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:33:11

My Alpha PWS 500a (the jumpstart says it's a 500au -- I'm not sure on
the difference) booted the Compaq Jumpstart CD perfectly from SRM, and
I went through the Express setup procedure, and then it said it would
just LOVE to reboot into the afterboot program, and I said, "sure", and
when it came back up, it tried to "boot dk*0.0.0.1009.0 -flags 0" and
the response was:

cannot find device dk*0.0.0.1009.0

So now, of course, SRM is stuck. Everytime I turn in on, it can't find
dk*0.0.0.1009.0. Show dev doesn't list this device at all, and if I ^C
and try to boot the hard disks or anyting else, they fail.

One odd thing: If I ls dk*0.0.0.1009.0 I get:

dk*0.0.0.1009.0>>>

and if I ls there I get a whole shitload of files/directories.
They "appear" to be the same ones as on the jumpstart CD (I haven't
written them all down to do a comparison), but if I assume that it IS
the cd, and type "boot dka0 -fl 0" then, of course, Jumpstart just
starts up again like from the first time, and I got through the whole
routine again.

Anyone have some suggestions? I know once I get this down, it'll be a
no-brainer, but damn, getting it down the first time is definitely an
exercise in persistence.

Thanks in advance, Ralph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by phlebot.. » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:37:28

Whoops: The exact error message actually is:

"failed to open dk*0.0.0.1009.0"

typed too fast without checking my notes....

> My Alpha PWS 500a (the jumpstart says it's a 500au -- I'm not sure on
> the difference) booted the Compaq Jumpstart CD perfectly from SRM, and
> I went through the Express setup procedure, and then it said it would
> just LOVE to reboot into the afterboot program, and I said, "sure",
and
> when it came back up, it tried to "boot dk*0.0.0.1009.0 -flags 0" and
> the response was:

> cannot find device dk*0.0.0.1009.0

> So now, of course, SRM is stuck. Everytime I turn in on, it can't find
> dk*0.0.0.1009.0. Show dev doesn't list this device at all, and if I ^C
> and try to boot the hard disks or anyting else, they fail.

> One odd thing: If I ls dk*0.0.0.1009.0 I get:

> dk*0.0.0.1009.0>>>

> and if I ls there I get a whole shitload of files/directories.
> They "appear" to be the same ones as on the jumpstart CD (I haven't
> written them all down to do a comparison), but if I assume that it IS
> the cd, and type "boot dka0 -fl 0" then, of course, Jumpstart just
> starts up again like from the first time, and I got through the whole
> routine again.

> Anyone have some suggestions? I know once I get this down, it'll be a
> no-brainer, but damn, getting it down the first time is definitely an
> exercise in persistence.

> Thanks in advance, Ralph

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by JJ » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:42:30

That's because jumpstart sets the "auto_action" flag to "boot" to
automatically boot the afterboot program....

when you power the machine up, keep typing   ctrl-C   (hold down the ctrl
key and depress "C" at the same time) This will drop you back to the srm
prompt after self-test.

Then type at the >>> prompt

Quote:>>>set auto_action halt
>>>init

the machine will stop rebooting.

"a" vs  "au"   This was used to designate model's which may ship in config's
which could exclude other os's
"a" = NT    could contain hardware the would not run on unix or vms
"au"=NT, VMS, Unix   compatible hardware

As of 97+1/2 all the firmware was the same for both versions.

What version jumpstart, and what is the config of the Alpha box  (>>>show
config | more )

JJ

> Whoops: The exact error message actually is:

> "failed to open dk*0.0.0.1009.0"

> typed too fast without checking my notes....

> > My Alpha PWS 500a (the jumpstart says it's a 500au -- I'm not sure on
> > the difference) booted the Compaq Jumpstart CD perfectly from SRM, and
> > I went through the Express setup procedure, and then it said it would
> > just LOVE to reboot into the afterboot program, and I said, "sure",
> and
> > when it came back up, it tried to "boot dk*0.0.0.1009.0 -flags 0" and
> > the response was:

> > cannot find device dk*0.0.0.1009.0

> > So now, of course, SRM is stuck. Everytime I turn in on, it can't find
> > dk*0.0.0.1009.0. Show dev doesn't list this device at all, and if I ^C
> > and try to boot the hard disks or anyting else, they fail.

> > One odd thing: If I ls dk*0.0.0.1009.0 I get:

> > dk*0.0.0.1009.0>>>

> > and if I ls there I get a whole shitload of files/directories.
> > They "appear" to be the same ones as on the jumpstart CD (I haven't
> > written them all down to do a comparison), but if I assume that it IS
> > the cd, and type "boot dka0 -fl 0" then, of course, Jumpstart just
> > starts up again like from the first time, and I got through the whole
> > routine again.

> > Anyone have some suggestions? I know once I get this down, it'll be a
> > no-brainer, but damn, getting it down the first time is definitely an
> > exercise in persistence.

> > Thanks in advance, Ralph

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by phlebot.. » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:22:00

Damn, gotta remember that show config | more thingie. OK:

Quote:> What version jumpstart, and what is the config of the Alpha box

Jumpstart 1.1

config:

SRM console V7.2-1 Mar 6, 2000
ARC console 5.70
PALcode: OpenVMS PALcode v1.20-16, Tru64 UNIX PALcode v1.22-18
SROM version: v5.90

DECchip 21164A-2 Pass 500Mhz 96 KBytes SCache
0 MB BCache
PYXIS ASIC Pass 257

Memory Size 128 MB
Bank 0 Size 128 baseaddress 00000000

BCache 0
Tested Memory 128

PCI Bus

Bus 00 Slot 3: DECchip 21142 Network Controller ewa0.0.0.3.0
Bus 00 Slot 4: PCI IDE
       pqb0.0.1.4.0    PCI EIDE
       dka0.0.0.4.0    Toshiba CD-ROM XM-57

Bus 00 Slot 7: Intel SIO 82378
Bus 00 Slot 8: DECchip 21152 PCI to PCI Bridge
Bus 01 Slot 9: Vendor: 9004 Device: 8178 Sub_id: 0
Bus 00 Slot 12: Matrox Millenium

ISA stuff: everything that follows is embedded.

Device 0 Mouse  Baseaddr 60  IRQ 12
Device 1 KBD    Baseaddr 60  IRQ 1
Device 2 COM1   Baseaddr 3f8 IRQ 4
Device 3 COM2   Baseaddr 2f8 IRQ 3
Device 4 LPT1   Baseaddr 3bc IRQ 7
Device 5 Floppy baseaddr 3f0 IRQ 6 DMA 2
Device 6 EIDE   Baseaddr 1f0 IRQ 14
                Baseaddr 3f6 IRQ 15
                Baseaddr 170
                Baseaddr 376
Device 7 ES1888 Baseaddr 220 IRQ 5 DMA 1
                                   DMA 5

Clarify things? -- Ralph

> [...]

> > > written them all down to do a comparison), but if I assume that
it IS
> > > the cd, and type "boot dka0 -fl 0" then, of course, Jumpstart just
> > > starts up again like from the first time, and I got through the
whole
> > > routine again.

> > > Anyone have some suggestions? I know once I get this down, it'll
be a
> > > no-brainer, but damn, getting it down the first time is
definitely an
> > > exercise in persistence.

> > > Thanks in advance, Ralph

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by John Jemiol » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 03:25:48

Your problem was running jumpstart with a adaptec controller in SRM. SRM
does not recognize the controller so it reported the *

Seen your other posts about milo.. I assume your going to use alpahbios
which does support the Adaptec?

JJ

> [...]

> > config | more )

> > JJ

> > > Whoops: The exact error message actually is:

> > > "failed to open dk*0.0.0.1009.0"

> > > typed too fast without checking my notes....

> sure on
> SRM, and
> would
> said, "sure",
> > > and
> and

> find
> I ^C

> haven't
> it IS
> whole

> be a
> definitely an

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by phlebot.. » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 06:14:46

First in a series of replies, as I try EVERY method I can to get RH6.2
loaded and rebooted.

I've just gone back into AlphaBIOS and loaded what is admittedly an
older MILO (copyright DEC 1995) and then tried to:

boot hda -flags 0

And the result of that is:

MaxSize: 101789  Log Zone Size: 2048
First Datazone: 30 Root inode number: 61440
MILO: failed to open /etc/milo.conf or milo.conf

I'm assuming this means that I failed to make the proper copy of MILO,
or that mine is too old. I'm going to try to find a really new version,
and repeat this experiment.

BTW: If I try to boot directly into RH CD, with

boot hda /kernels/generic.gz -fl "text root=/dev/hda"

the result is a partial aboot load, and then:

different numbers, but same result. can't find milo.conf. So I'm going
in search of a more up-to-date version and repeat the experiment.

Ralph.

PS --> appreciate the patience!

> [...]

> > > As of 97+1/2 all the firmware was the same for both versions.

> > > What version jumpstart, and what is the config of the Alpha box
> > (>>>show
> > > config | more )

> > > JJ

> > sure on
> > SRM, and
> > would
> > said, "sure",
> > and

> > find
> > I ^C

> > haven't
> > it IS
> > whole

> > be a
> > definitely an

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JumpStart stuck rebooting to dk*0.0.0.1009.0

Post by phlebot.. » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 12:15:23

I want to thank all the people on this list in advance: By searching
and reading and posting, I was not only able to install RH 6.2 on the
alpha, but I was able to figure it out while the people at
Compaq/Digital were working on the jumpstart solution. Here's Will's
reply, which agrees conclusively that SRM does not support the
AHA2940UW:

"
BY: will
DATE: 11/02/00 16:32
SUBJECT: Miata + SRM + AHA2940UW = trouble
Okay, I got some parts together, found a AHA2940UW SCSI controller in
the lab, and I managed to reproduce your exact problem. In talking it
over with BethZ (who used to do BIOS stuff), I've come up with the
following diagnosis:

SRM on the Miata does not like the AHA2940UW. If you put it on the
primary PCI bus, the machine refuses to boot, saying "Illegal device on
bus 0 slot X, remove it and reboot." It works fine in the secondary PCI
bus (as you have it on your system), BUT SRM will not boot off a device
on the secondary bus.

Hence, you can boot JumpStart (in the IDE CD-ROM drive, which is
connected to the primary bus) just fine. And once Linux has booted, it
can see the drives just fine - it doesn't care what bus they're on. SRM
is the problem - it can only boot from a device on the primary bus, and
it refuses to let you put the AHA2940UW on the primary bus.

So, as I see it, you have three choices for running Linux on your
Miata:
1) Buy a new SCSI controller.
2) Boot from the CD or floppy every time you boot the machine.
3) Use AlphaBIOS/MILO.

AlphaBIOS support for JumpStart is still under development, but it
sounds like you managed to get MILO working, so I reccomend that you go
with that.

Thanks a lot for your patience and feedback - We now have an perfect
test machine for JumpStart AlphaBIOS support

"

In article <8tncnv$e4...@nnrp1.deja.com>,