Can't see Floppy in AlphaBIOS on PC164

Post by Adam Smol » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to get Linux installed on an Alpha machine, but I can't see the
floppy drive from the AlphaBIOS. When I go into the supplementry menu and
try to add another boot device, it isn't there. However, the floppy works
fine from the NT. Any ideas? Also, if I put the firmware update utility on a
floppy drive it can access the the update utility no problem. I haven't been
able to flash the BIOS yet though cause I didn't understand SRM vs ARC until
a few minutes ago.

Adam

Post by Hartmut Woehrl » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am trying to get Linux installed on an Alpha machine, but I can't see the
> floppy drive from the AlphaBIOS. When I go into the supplementry menu and
> try to add another boot device, it isn't there. However, the floppy works
> fine from the NT. Any ideas? Also, if I put the firmware update utility on a
> floppy drive it can access the the update utility no problem. I haven't been
> able to flash the BIOS yet though cause I didn't understand SRM vs ARC until
> a few minutes ago.

> Adam

Which of the about 40 types of Alphamaschine??
What says the configurationmenu?
Can you swithc to SRM ? Waht says the "config" command on SRM console?

Cu Hartmut

1. PC164: From Alphabios/MILO to SRM

Hello world,

On my PC164 I'm running RH Linux. No, I don't run NT on that box. It's
a plain PC164 box, not an LX or SX or something.

I'm planning to switch from Alphabios and MILO to SRM. But I'm a
newbee in this respect. There were a couple of similar threads in this
newsgroup during the last weeks, but none seemed to address my
questions completely.

So here we go:

- Which files do I need? Is there a detailed description of the
  upgrade process?

- I'll do a backup of my HD before upgrading to SRM, such that I don't
  lose any data in case I need to reformat my HD. But I worry about
  something else: What if the upgrade process fails for some reason?
  Will I be able to boot Linux at all? I can afford to have the system
  down for say one or two hours; but I cannot afford to not being able
  to boot at all any longer.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Hier arbeiten 500 MHz, 64 MB, ein Esel und ein Pinguin.

2. AfterStep unable to load libX11.so.6

3. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

4. Productiva and XFree86_SVGA Release Version 3.3.2.3

5. solid state "floppy" - DOS sees, linux doesn't - why?

6. Indirect query via XDMCP

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. HELP! wait queues

10. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

11. PC164 floppy controller problem

12. logon not seen by 'w' and 'who'?