firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

Post by vbper » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:20:40

Hi Folks,
I was going to try installing Linux on an Alpha I had and all the docs
I saw said to upgrade the firmware, so I did.

I grabbed the v7 files from
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alpha200/as200_v...

I renamed it as the doc said and copied it to a floppy and the alpha
picked it up and went into the firmware upgrade OK. I ran the upgrade
(I did both the ARC and SRM) and powerscycled the system.

When the system rebooted it throws a bunch of code on the screen and
then reboots and throws the code on the screen, reboots, it just keeps
doing this over and over.

I have tried hitting every function key to see if it would break this
cycle as well as changed jumper J1 (mini-console or Main console) to
mini console with no luck. And changing J2 (boot floppy or normal
FlashROM) to boot floppy.

It just keeps displaying the code and rebooting.

Any ideas?

Thank you for all suggestions.

Perry

Post by David J. Dachter » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:20:35

> Hi Folks,
> I was going to try installing Linux on an Alpha I had and all the docs
> I saw said to upgrade the firmware, so I did.

> I grabbed the v7 files from
> ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alpha200/as200_v...

> I renamed it as the doc said and copied it to a floppy and the alpha
> picked it up and went into the firmware upgrade OK. I ran the upgrade
> (I did both the ARC and SRM) and powerscycled the system.

> When the system rebooted it throws a bunch of code on the screen and
> then reboots and throws the code on the screen, reboots, it just keeps
> doing this over and over.

> I have tried hitting every function key to see if it would break this
> cycle as well as changed jumper J1 (mini-console or Main console) to
> mini console with no luck. And changing J2 (boot floppy or normal
> FlashROM) to boot floppy.

> It just keeps displaying the code and rebooting.

> Any ideas?

Try this:

Disconnect the keyboard to force it to use the serial console.

Connect a terminal or PC running a terminal program to the COM1 port
(don't ask), 9600, 8-N-1 (eight bits, no parity, one stop bit). Term
program is bets, espcially a windowed one so you can scroll back through
the display buffer.

What you may find (no guarantee) is that the new firmware can't find
enough memory to do its HEAP_EXPAND. You'll likely need 32MB or better
of RAM (FPM (parity) SIMMs in matched pairs will do - smaller SIMMs
first, then larger, from left to right facing the front of the machine).
Better (bigger) is better, 128MB or more if you can get it.

Hope this helps. I had the same problem when I first got my little Alpha
(AS200-4/233). I run VMS on mine, but Linux - especially X - will need
all the memory you can throw at it.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

Post by vbperr » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:20:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

[...]

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

Post by David J. Dachter » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:20:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

> Hi Folks,
> I was going to try installing Linux on an Alpha I had and all the docs
> I saw said to upgrade the firmware, so I did.

> I grabbed the v7 files from

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alpha200/as200_v...

Quote:

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page: http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

Post by vbperr » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:20:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10) From:

[...]

Admin of SHS.