Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by r.. » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I don't like the 8-bit limitation of the the builtin TGA card in my Multia,
so I've been thinking of getting myself another card. I'd like to hear
about others' experiences concerning the card subject.

What kind of cards fit inside the box, perform nicely and are well
supported by linux?

Also, do they consume a lot of power? The power source seems quite
weak, and I'm already taking power for a 3.5" hard drive from inside the
machine. I've had some blackouts which I suspect have been power related,
but they seem to have ceased to appear now for some reason.

Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't like the 8-bit limitation of the the builtin TGA card in my Multia,
>so I've been thinking of getting myself another card. I'd like to hear
>about others' experiences concerning the card subject.

>What kind of cards fit inside the box, perform nicely and are well
>supported by linux?

>Also, do they consume a lot of power? The power source seems quite
>weak, and I'm already taking power for a 3.5" hard drive from inside the
>machine. I've had some blackouts which I suspect have been power related,
>but they seem to have ceased to appear now for some reason.

I have heard rumor that Matrox Millennium (the *original* version;
newer ones appear not to need apply...) work in the UDB.

I have an S3 968-based board in my UDB; it works quite nicely, and
is what I'm staring at right now as I write this...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/alpha.html>

Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by Andy Isaacs » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't like the 8-bit limitation of the the builtin TGA card in my Multia,
> so I've been thinking of getting myself another card. I'd like to hear
> about others' experiences concerning the card subject.

> What kind of cards fit inside the box, perform nicely and are well
> supported by linux?

> Also, do they consume a lot of power? The power source seems quite
> weak, and I'm already taking power for a 3.5" hard drive from inside the
> machine. I've had some blackouts which I suspect have been power related,
> but they seem to have ceased to appear now for some reason.

I have a Millennium II 4MB installed in my UDB, but it appears that the
heat got to be too much for the dinky fan, because I'm now having
spontaneous reboots and freezes. :(  Currently I have the motherboard and
power supply sitting on my desk with a 9" fan blowing directly on the
board, and it's fairly stable (it sure runs a lot cooler now than it did in
the case!).  So the Millennium II fits, but I guess this isn't a vote of
confidence.

Oh, I'd imagine that the memory expansion card would not fit, since the
SCSI and floppy cables kinda project into the space where it would plug in.
It's a pretty tight fit.

-andy
--

http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~adisaacs/              http://www.cauce.org/

Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by Christopher Burkha » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I don't like the 8-bit limitation of the the builtin TGA card in my Multia,
>so I've been thinking of getting myself another card. I'd like to hear
>about others' experiences concerning the card subject.

>What kind of cards fit inside the box, perform nicely and are well
>supported by linux?

>Also, do they consume a lot of power? The power source seems quite
>weak, and I'm already taking power for a 3.5" hard drive from inside the
>machine. I've had some blackouts which I suspect have been power related,
>but they seem to have ceased to appear now for some reason.

To put a PCI card in that box you will need to remove the 3.5" hard disk.  Most
of what I've read says that you should ad an external drive to the machine.
That is what I had to do.  If you do that you can put a PCI video card in the
machine.  I would try a matrox card.

Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by Cláudia and Fred Haa » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I know this is an old topic now...

The PCI option on my Multia (and I'd have to assume all of them, even
though I know I have the VX40 (cheapest) one) is in the form of a small
card that plugs into the motherboard and contains a PCI slot to mount
the card horizontally.

That's all well and good, and it's obvious how to do this, but my
Onsale/CPUMicroMart/VX40 came with a SCSI connector in that slot, and no
other card.  From what I can get from the "Service Information" guide
(is it just me or is that 98% waste of paper I printed it on?), it seems
that the card in the images has the SCSI connector *AND* a PCI slot.  So
assuming they (technically) didn't rip me off, since it's an "option",
where can I get me one of these things?

Thanks,
Fred

Gfx cards in UDB/Multia

Post by solut.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Starship Computer in New Hampshire sell's the "External SCSI /
Internal PCI" card  for around 50 dollars.

http://www.starshipcorp.com/

Regards,

Ron

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:34:31 -0400, "Cludia and Fred Haab"

>I know this is an old topic now...

>The PCI option on my Multia (and I'd have to assume all of them, even
>though I know I have the VX40 (cheapest) one) is in the form of a small
>card that plugs into the motherboard and contains a PCI slot to mount
>the card horizontally.

>That's all well and good, and it's obvious how to do this, but my
>Onsale/CPUMicroMart/VX40 came with a SCSI connector in that slot, and no
>other card.  From what I can get from the "Service Information" guide
>(is it just me or is that 98% waste of paper I printed it on?), it seems
>that the card in the images has the SCSI connector *AND* a PCI slot.  So
>assuming they (technically) didn't rip me off, since it's an "option",
>where can I get me one of these things?

>Thanks,
>Fred

1. ARC update and gfx card trouble on Multia

I've been trying to get a Matrox Millennium card work with my Multia.
I was instructed to upgrade to the latest revision the BIOS on the card,
as well as the ARC console on the Multia. The card was easy, but I'm still
in trouble.

What is the latest revision of the SRM and ARC for Multia? I'm now running
on SRM V3.8-3 dated August 95, and ARC 4.33. For security's sake I tried
booting off the failsafe disk before upgrade, and that gave me SRM V3.8-36
dated January'96. The upgrade process seems to work flawlessly, but
afterwards I still have the same SRM and ARC I started with. Are they
really the latest revisions? Why is the failsafe SRM newer?

When I powerup the machine, I get the SRM message on the builtin TGA.
After a while I get a message from the BIOS emulation code with some
strange interference on the Matrox VGA and then ARC starts, displaying its
screen on the Matrox. All is fine up to this point. Running MILO from
the ARC hangs, though:

Getting firmware parameters ...
...Memory size is 0x3800000 bytes

Swapping to PALcode at 0x0 ...

..and that's where it stops, leaving me no alternative than to poweroff.
Usually at that point the screen would clean and several dev_config lines
would be displayed.

Skipping ARC and MILO and booting linux from a disk with aboot gets me to
linux in the builtin TGA mode. Running Xconfigurator finds the Matrox card
and sets it up. When I start X the the familiar grey rasterized X
startup screen with a pointer I can move around appears on the Matrox as
it should. The window manager loads properly and does its layout, then the
machine jams, leaving only poweroff as an alternative. Loading X without
a window manager fails in a similar fashion.

Any ideas?

--
remove the obvious from address to reply in mail.

2. Modem doesn't hang up/getty question

3. Matrox Cards in UDB/Multia

4. Problems with routing and ip masquerading with cable modem in linux

5. FS: DEC UDB (Multia 233)

6. Help! Mouse freezes while modem is in use.

7. Thinking about buying a UDB (Multia)

8. Search Plugin for Netscape Communicator 4.05

9. FS: Multia/UDB

10. Help with kicking off RH5.1 install on UDB/Multia

11. Need help with XF86config for Intel Multia (DEC UDB)

12. Anyone have ethernet working on UDB (Multia)?