Folding @ Home - distributed computing for Linux

Post by Znak » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:00:04

Linux friends,

diseases, join our LINUX team and let the world see United Power of Linux!

misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational
methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales
thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has
allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our
approach to examine folding related disease.

What are proteins and why do they "fold"?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can
carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves,
or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to
virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not
surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there
can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as
Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

How can you help?
You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our
algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project,
we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

team number : 163 which is number of LINUX team.

Send this post to all your LINUX friends!

United Power of Linux

http://folding.stanford.edu/
team number: 163
LINUX team

Post by John Beardmor » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:18:04

>Linux friends,

>diseases, join our LINUX team and let the world see United Power of Linux!

Anybody know if the www.ud.com/cancer windows client works under Wine ?

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

1. Folding @ Home - distributed computing for Linux

[...]

2. Undelete for linux?

3. dosemu53.35 and cdrom.sys

4. PCMCIA SMC2835W card not recognized by kernel-2.4.* and kernel-2.6.5

5. Pentium,Linux & /proc