Kernel won't start

Post by Michael_Fr.. » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I have an alpha with the red-hat 5.0 distribution, and I have been
having problems remaking my kernel. I have installed a lot of stuff already,
and I think that some of it might be causing my problems. Basically, what
happens now when I try to compile the kernel is that make dep doesn't call
gcc, and I have to do a make linuxsubdirs before make boot. I think that
make dep is supposed to do the compiling that I'm calling make linuxsubdirs
to do. Does anyone know what it is that I might have installed/what I have
to replace to get back to the point where I can rebuild the kernel?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Kernel won't start

Post by Ron Trolar » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, I have an alpha with the red-hat 5.0 distribution, and I have been
> having problems remaking my kernel. I have installed a lot of stuff already,
> and I think that some of it might be causing my problems. Basically, what
> happens now when I try to compile the kernel is that make dep doesn't call
> gcc, and I have to do a make linuxsubdirs before make boot. I think that
> make dep is supposed to do the compiling that I'm calling make linuxsubdirs
> to do. Does anyone know what it is that I might have installed/what I have
> to replace to get back to the point where I can rebuild the kernel?

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

  yeah, something is broken...... since I haven't played with gcc enough....
try reinstalling gcc and maybe it'll set the links straight...........

good luck :)

1. vold won't start: vol_init failed (can't communicate with kernel)

I am trying to start vold on my Ultra 5 running 2.8.  For some reason
the SUNWvol* packages weren't installed, so i installed SUNWvolu,
SUNWvolr, and SUNWvolux off the CD.

when i try to start vold, i get the following:

 bash-2.03# /usr/sbin/vold -v -L 11 >&/dev/console &
 Wed Dec  5 14:54:19 2001 warning: vol_init: open failed on
/dev/volctl; No      such file or directory
 Wed Dec  5 14:54:19 2001 fatal: vol_init failed (can't communicate
with kernel)
 Dec  5 14:54:19 shockwave /usr/sbin/vold[686]: vol_init failed (can't
 communicate with kernel)
 [1] 686
 [1]   Exit 255                /usr/sbin/vold -v -L 11 1>&/dev/console

There is no /vol directory, and /dev/volctrl doesn't exist.  The vol
pseudo driver is also not installed.

I have tried loading the pseudo driver manually using:
  bash-2.03# modload /usr/kernel/drv/vol

But it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Does anyone know what i should try? How i can i create /dev/volctrl
manually?

Thanks in advance,

-Lkb

2. Microsoft Mouse won't take

3. KDE won't start now I've installed kernel patch 2.2.9

4. Complex personal data organizer

5. vold won't start: vol_init failed (can't communicate with kernel)

6. NEED: Unix SYSTEM_CALL list!

7. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

8. PPP suddenly disconnects

9. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

10. kernels 2.0.37/38 compile, load, but won't start

11. Redhat 5.0 x won't start with new kernel

12. kernel upgrade to 2.4.9 and X won't start

13. x won't start after kernel update