Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:20:42

I have gotten my hands on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a, and have
installed Debian Linux on it. It has a Digital PowerStorm 4041T (?)
graphics card, and I'm having some trouble getting it to work:

with the "vga" driver.

Has anyone been more successful than me with X and this card? If so; do
you have any tips for me? What's in your XF86Config-4 file?

I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

Thanks.

_Any_ help will be greatly appreciated.

Stein

--
Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:28:28

I have gotten my hands on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a, and have
installed Debian Linux on it. It has a Digital PowerStorm 4051T (?)
[...]

Post by Torsten Zirzlaf » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:59:15

Hi.

> I have gotten my hands on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a, and have
> installed Debian Linux on it. It has a Digital PowerStorm 4051T (?)
> graphics card, and I'm having some trouble getting it to work:

> with the "vga" driver.

> Has anyone been more successful than me with X and this card? If so; do
> you have any tips for me? What's in your XF86Config-4 file?

  Nope. The reason is, that those cards are not supported by
XFree86. Some work with the tga driver, but only a few and not in
accelerated mode.

Quote:> I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
> lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
> SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
> the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
> device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
> II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
> some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

  Well, I'm not sure, but SRM is quite picky about which graphics card
it accepts. From what I had heard it is possible to use Matrox cards,
3dfx Voodoo cards and some ATI cards.

  I use a Voodoo 4500 and I'm happy with it.

Quote:> Thanks.

> _Any_ help will be greatly appreciated.

> Stein

> --
> Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

  I hope this helps.

Ciao

  Torsten
--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten Zirzlaff
        70190 Stuttgart

mobil: +49 174 857 56 77

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'                  |

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:26:54

> > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
> > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
> > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
> > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
> > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
> > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
> > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

>   Well, I'm not sure, but SRM is quite picky about which graphics card
> it accepts. From what I had heard it is possible to use Matrox cards,
> 3dfx Voodoo cards and some ATI cards.

>   I use a Voodoo 4500 and I'm happy with it.

3Dlabs cards work fine, if you don't need 3D.  XFree86 doesn't support
opengl on some 3Dlabs cards (the cheaper ones).

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Alessio Sia » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:31:03

Quote:> I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
> lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
> SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
> the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
> device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
> II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
> some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

Hello,
type the following line in the srm:

Quote:>>> set pci_device_override -1

Bye.

--
Alessio Sias
Sysadmin - Comune di Sorso

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:03:08

> > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
> > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
> > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
> > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
> > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
> > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
> > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

> type the following line in the srm:

And don't put anything that uses DMA in the 64-bit slots or prepare
for data loss.  Graphics cards are ok, since a few pixel errors
usually don't matter much.  Disk controllers are worse.  Don't be
fooled by the boot messages about a workaround.  It's incomplete.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:29:38

* Torsten Zirzlaff

Quote:>   Nope. The reason is, that those cards are not supported by
> XFree86. Some work with the tga driver, but only a few and not in
> accelerated mode.

I sort of assumed that... I had to try, though.

Quote:>   Well, I'm not sure, but SRM is quite picky about which graphics card
> it accepts. From what I had heard it is possible to use Matrox cards,
> 3dfx Voodoo cards and some ATI cards.

Thanks. I'm somewhat calmer now. ;-) I'll get hold of a Millennium II, then.

Quote:>   I use a Voodoo 4500 and I'm happy with it.

Noted.

Stein

--
Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:30:43

* Alessio Sias

| > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
| > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
| > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
| > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
| > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
| > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
| > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

Quote:> Hello,
> type the following line in the srm:

Thanks! I'll save this as a fallback plan, if the Millennium doesn't work
either.

Stein.

--
Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:32:09

* M?ns Rullg?rd

| > > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
| > > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
| > > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered at
| > > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
| > > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox Millennium
| > > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
| > > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?
| >
| > type the following line in the srm:

Quote:> And don't put anything that uses DMA in the 64-bit slots or prepare
> for data loss.  Graphics cards are ok, since a few pixel errors
> usually don't matter much.  Disk controllers are worse.  Don't be
> fooled by the boot messages about a workaround.  It's incomplete.

Also duly noted.

Thanks.

Stein

--

Post by Reinhard Eigne » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:02:34

Quote:> > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
> > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
> > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered
at
> > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
> > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox
Millennium
> > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
> > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?

>   Well, I'm not sure, but SRM is quite picky about which graphics card
> it accepts. From what I had heard it is possible to use Matrox cards,
> 3dfx Voodoo cards and some ATI cards.

This problem occurs when you have the Miata MX5 chipset. This chipset
is buggy so Digital locked the 64bit Slots and only tested cards have access
to the 64bit slots.
You can bypass this by typing:
Quote:>>> set pci_device_override [DEVICE_ID][VENDOR-ID]

Disabling the whole card checking:
Quote:>>> set pci_device_override -1

But the easiest way is to put the card in an other slot.

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:10:51

* Reinhard Eigner
| > > I have also tried to change the graphics card. I replaced it with an STB
| > > lightspeed 128, but that didn't get me very far. The computer halted at
| > > SRM, and said something along the lines of: "Illegal device discovered
Quote:> at

| > > the primary bus at slot 5. Please power down and remove the illegal
| > > device." What's up with that? Would it be better with a Matrox
Quote:> Millennium

| > > II, since these boxes came with that card too, or am I screwed? Is there
| > > some way I can get the box to accept another graphics card?
| >
| >   Well, I'm not sure, but SRM is quite picky about which graphics card
| > it accepts. From what I had heard it is possible to use Matrox cards,
| > 3dfx Voodoo cards and some ATI cards.

Quote:> This problem occurs when you have the Miata MX5 chipset. This chipset
> is buggy so Digital locked the 64bit Slots and only tested cards have access
> to the 64bit slots.
> You can bypass this by typing:

Quote:> Disabling the whole card checking:

Quote:> But the easiest way is to put the card in an other slot.

This clears things up a bit? It's that easy? Well then. I guess I'll try
to get hold of that Millennium II anyway, but this leaves me with a
solution no matter what, then.

Thanks.

Stein

--
Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Stein Ballangrud Anderse » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:20:00

* Reinhard Eigner

Quote:> This problem occurs when you have the Miata MX5 chipset. This chipset
> is buggy so Digital locked the 64bit Slots and only tested cards have access
> to the 64bit slots.
> You can bypass this by typing:

Quote:> Disabling the whole card checking:

Quote:> But the easiest way is to put the card in an other slot.

Tried that now. The box wouldn't boot. "Couldn't boot from [device]"

Stein

--
Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

1. Boot problem on personal workstation 500a

...installation and booting of RH 5.0 doesn't work on my personal
workstation 500a (Miata). The appearing messages after booting by
command

  >>> boot dva0 -file vmlinux.gz -flags "load_ramdisk=1"

from the SRM console are as follows:

  (boot dva0.0.0.0.1 -file vmlinux.gz -flags load_ramdisk=1)
  block 0 of dva0.0.0.0.1 is a valid boot block
  reading 172 blocks from dva0.0.0.0.1
  bootstrap code read in
  base = 1ec000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 15800
  initializing HWRPB at 2000
  initializing page table at 1de000
  initializing machine state
  setting affinity to the primary CPU
  jumping to bootstrap code
  aboot: Linux/Alpha SRM bootloader version 0.5
  aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.21
  aboot: no disklabel found
  aboot: booted_dev=`dva 1 0 0 0 0 0 0', guessing boot_device=`fd0'
  aboot: loading compressed vmlinux.gz...
  aboot: ok, now starting the kernel...

and then the machine hangs with no further message. I tried with small
differences (prompt_ramdisk=1, with explicit root device /dev/fd0, with
MILO, with only IDE/ATAPI and with SCSI devices) but this didn't
influence the result in any kind. On another equal workstation the
problem is the same.
The machine is called DEC-00Miata with DEC-221164 processor (revision 2)
in the NT-systempanel and has a QLogic PCI SCSI-adapter and a CMD64xx
32-bit IDE-adapter.
Is anybody out there, who had the same problem and fixed it sucessfully
(non-destructive)? Any suggestions ?

Arndt

2. RH 6.1 (2.2.13-22) and Adaptec 2930U2

3. I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

4. Executing script command from within awk

5. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a, $3000

6. mail from command line broken?

7. Personal Workstation 500a

8. HELP: any CGI script for users to change forwarded email addresses ??

9. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a - $3000

10. FS: Dec Alpha Personal Workstation 500a

11. Digital Personal Workstation 500a/au

12. Framegrabber on DEC Personal Workstation 500a

13. Video Card support for Personal Workstation 500a