RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Rak » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 02:36:26

Thanks to the person, which I don't have the name, that told me to go back
to RH 6.2, since RH 7.1 will not install on a XL266.
I now have a working RH6.2 box, albeit I'm still working on the S3/Trio64 S3
server config.  Slakware does not work either, only RH6.2 was able to load
the kernel, any other flavors have compiled using an uncapatible file system
with the ALPHA/MILO install.

Anyone who installed RH7.1 via MILO on a XL266 is lying and full of crap.

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Guido Serassi » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:49:03

Hi,

> Thanks to the person, which I don't have the name, that told me to go back
> to RH 6.2, since RH 7.1 will not install on a XL266.
> I now have a working RH6.2 box, albeit I'm still working on the S3/Trio64 S3
> server config.  Slakware does not work either, only RH6.2 was able to load
> the kernel, any other flavors have compiled using an uncapatible file system
> with the ALPHA/MILO install.

> Anyone who installed RH7.1 via MILO on a XL266 is lying and full of crap.

I have just finished to install RHL7.0 via MILO 2.2-17 (found on RHL 7.1 cd ..)
on a AlphaServer 400 4/233 (Avanti), and all works fine.

I tried to install 7.1, but the setup doesn't work with SRM and MILO too, i
think that RHL 7.1 has some install bugs on old Alpha machines.

I want to dual-boot my machine between Linux and NT 4.0, so I need the ARC
environment plus MILO.

All disks and CD are SCSI, on disk(0) I have a small (16 MB) FAT partition where
are stored MILO files and Windows NT loader Files

The ARC value for Linux Setup that I have used are:

LOADIDENTIFIER=Linux - Setup
OSLOADER=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\linload.exe
OSLOADPARTITION=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
OSLOADFILENAME=milo
OSLOADOPTIONS: boot scd0:/kernels/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/scd0
initrd=images/ramdisk/img

The ARC value for Linux normal boot are (my linux boot disk is the 3th on scsi
chain and I'm using MS-DOS partitions schema):

LOADIDENTIFIER=Linux - Kernel 2.2.17-4
OSLOADER=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\linload.exe
OSLOADPARTITION=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
OSLOADFILENAME=milo
OSLOADOPTIONS: boot sdc1:/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-4 root=/dev/sdc1

Hoping to help You

Guido

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Guido Serassi » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:54:59

Hi, I write a mistake:

Correct ARC Options are the following.

The ARC value for Linux Setup that I have used are:

LOADIDENTIFIER=Linux - Setup
OSLOADER=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\linload.exe
OSLOADPARTITION=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
OSLOADFILENAME=milo
OSLOADOPTIONS=boot scd0:/kernels/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/scd0 initrd=images/ramdisk.img

(This line can be wrapped)

The ARC value for Linux normal boot are (my linux boot disk is the 3th on scsi
chain and I'm using MS-DOS partitions schema):

LOADIDENTIFIER=Linux - Kernel 2.2.17-4
OSLOADER=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\linload.exe
OSLOADPARTITION=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
OSLOADFILENAME=milo
OSLOADOPTIONS=boot sdc1:/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-4 root=/dev/sdc1

Bye

Guido

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Rak » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:44:50

Guido,
  Thanks for the reply, it might help other people, but not us poor souls
with the XL266.  It only has the ARC console, thus only the MILO load would
work.  Alas, it will not boot the images from the floppy disks, nor the
images/kernels from the CDROM.  I know the box works fine, because I just
loaded RH6.2 on it and all is well.
Thanks,
  Dylan sends

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:08:27

>> Anyone who installed RH7.1 via MILO on a XL266 is lying and full of crap.
> I have just finished to install RHL7.0 via MILO 2.2-17 (found on RHL 7.1 cd ..)
> on a AlphaServer 400 4/233 (Avanti), and all works fine.
> I tried to install 7.1, but the setup doesn't work with SRM and MILO too, i
> think that RHL 7.1 has some install bugs on old Alpha machines.

As it was said a number of times a default kernel used in 7.1
distribution is compiled to work on "Wildfire" machines and this
will not load with milo (unless the latest ones from
http://www.suse.de/~stepan/ take that into account - I do not know
and I have no way to check).  The problem is with
CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS which is _not_ set.  OTOH really
_nothing_ forces you to use that kernel from Red Hat to do an
installation.  You have floppy images and you may replace on these
whatever you desire.

It is also quite possible that on a  milo booting machine root/ramdisk
pair of floppies from 7.0 will work with CDs from 7.1. Once again I have
no way to try but it should be trivial for somebody with a hardware.
Depending what hardware support is compiled in a boot kernel even
a combination of a root floppy and 7.1 ramdisk may work (none of
modules will load but this is ok if you have enough built-in to boot).

Of course an installed by default from 7.1 a "production" kernel will be
also a wrong one.  Well, boot for the first time from a floppy, or using
saved old kernel (remember about modules), and reconfigure and compile
yourself something which fits.  There is no law which says that you have
to use whatever Red Hat happened to dump on your hard drive. You _have_
sources.

  Michal

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Rak » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:46:20

And as i said before, thanks, but none of what you're saying makes a bit of
difference for someone trying to install RH 7.1 on an alpha XL266 machine.
Period.

> >> Anyone who installed RH7.1 via MILO on a XL266 is lying and full of
crap.

> > I have just finished to install RHL7.0 via MILO 2.2-17 (found on RHL 7.1
cd ..)
> > on a AlphaServer 400 4/233 (Avanti), and all works fine.

> > I tried to install 7.1, but the setup doesn't work with SRM and MILO
too, i
> > think that RHL 7.1 has some install bugs on old Alpha machines.

> As it was said a number of times a default kernel used in 7.1
> distribution is compiled to work on "Wildfire" machines and this
> will not load with milo (unless the latest ones from
> http://www.suse.de/~stepan/ take that into account - I do not know
> and I have no way to check).  The problem is with
> CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS which is _not_ set.  OTOH really
> _nothing_ forces you to use that kernel from Red Hat to do an
> installation.  You have floppy images and you may replace on these
> whatever you desire.

Yes, I did, with an entire RH 6.2 cd set.

Quote:

> It is also quite possible that on a  milo booting machine root/ramdisk
> pair of floppies from 7.0 will work with CDs from 7.1.

How many different versions do you want me to download to get it to work?

Quote:> Once again I have
> no way to try but it should be trivial for somebody with a hardware.
> Depending what hardware support is compiled in a boot kernel even
> a combination of a root floppy and 7.1 ramdisk may work (none of
> modules will load but this is ok if you have enough built-in to boot).

> Of course an installed by default from 7.1 a "production" kernel will be
> also a wrong one.  Well, boot for the first time from a floppy, or using
> saved old kernel (remember about modules), and reconfigure and compile
> yourself something which fits.  There is no law which says that you have
> to use whatever Red Hat happened to dump on your hard drive. You _have_
> sources.

That's right, there is no law, but there should be a law for RH to put out
7.1 broken for XL266 machines.
There's nothing difficult about loading MILO, but that's neither here nor
there.   I'm not jumping through hoops just to get it to run.  So, not being
a magician, I loaded 6.2.  My life does not revolve around RH, RPMs, and
such.  I've got work to do, not sit around trying to fix something that
shouldn't even be broke.
Quote:

>   Michal

Thanks again for the input, but it just doesn't matter.

RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

Post by Hannes Loeffle » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:55:54

Hello Michal,

finally I found the time to follow your advice (you once emailed me).

> As it was said a number of times a default kernel used in 7.1 distribution is
> compiled to work on "Wildfire" machines and this will not load with milo
> (unless the latest ones from http://www.suse.de/~stepan/ take that into
> account - I do not know and I have no way to check).  The problem is with
> CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS which is _not_ set.

Yep, just recompiled the kernel and that does the trick.  I boot from milo
2.0.35, system ist AlphaPC 164.

BTW, the new Suse milo (2.2.18) still hangs before booting into milo.

Quote:> It is also quite possible that on a  milo booting machine root/ramdisk
> pair of floppies from 7.0 will work with CDs from 7.1. Once again I have
> no way to try but it should be trivial for somebody with a hardware.
> Depending what hardware support is compiled in a boot kernel even
> a combination of a root floppy and 7.1 ramdisk may work (none of
> modules will load but this is ok if you have enough built-in to boot).

I tried Bootnet 7.0/Ramdisk 7.0 and that works (FTP install).  Bootnet
7.0/Ramdisk 7.1 did not work for me.

--

http://www-c724.uibk.ac.at/staff/loeffler/
Institute for General, Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry

1. Don't bother to post, was, Re: TEST:don't bother to read

 > > test...
 > > test...
 > > test...

 > This is off-topic. Use one of the "test" newsgroups to do your testing
 > in. That's what they're for.

Seconded. As are all those "help with ppp" messages - I mean what do they think
c.o.s.networking is for!
signature in post

2. UNIX NT network

3. RH 7.1, 3com 3c905-TX NIC, and DHCP don't work

4. versions of apache

5. RH 7.1 crashes under heavy disk load, RH 6.1 works fine

6. removing XiG from RH8.0

7. RH 7.1 - Can't See DOS Drives

8. Delete files after 1 week old

9. Upgrading RH 7.1 to 7.2 says 'some volumes not unmounted cleanly'

10. RH 7.1: NVAGP not loading

11. 2.4.2-2 kernel compiles-won't load - RH 7.1

12. Remote X works w/RH6.2 but not 7.1

13. Why Doesn't kfax work under RH 7.1?