Installing Linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a

Installing Linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Matthew Hyn » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am seeking advice on where/how I would obtain a MILO image that will
work on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a

It is a PCI Alpha and only about 6 months old - it is based on the
500Mhz 21164 processor and the Pyxis chip.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Matt

Installing Linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a

Post by Matthew Hyn » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Well I got it working by using the miata images from Redhat.

I have some other problems that are in a later post

> Hi All,

> I am seeking advice on where/how I would obtain a MILO image that will
> work on a Digital Personal Workstation 500a

> It is a PCI Alpha and only about 6 months old - it is based on the
> 500Mhz 21164 processor and the Pyxis chip.

> Any help would be gratefully received.

> Matt

1. I have a problem installing linux on Digital Personal Workstation 500a, please help me...

Hi, I'm Marco from Italy.....I'm new to this newsgroup

I have a Digital Personal Workstation 500a.......and I would like to install
linux....

I downloaded the Red Hat 7.1 for alpha....

I read about installing linux on Alpha with Alphabios.....

....so I made a floppy with the linload.exe and miata files(hope miata is
the right one) that I find in the milo\images directory on cd 1......

then I setup Alphabios to boot from floppy.....

but when the Digital loads milo everything stops at:

Swapping to PALcode at 0x80000...

no more nothing....I can only reboot the machine.

Please help me....why this?

It is possible that the problem is the videocard?

there is another way to boot up Linux? Maybe without the Alphabios?

Thank you for your time
--
Marco Coda

ICQ 12751306

2. GCC install problem?

3. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a, $3000

4. second display won't work

5. FS: Digital Personal Workstation 500a - $3000

6. Boca Memory Expansion Ram Disk as Swap Device

7. Digital Personal Workstation 500a/au

8. X windows problems

9. install redhat in Digital Alpha Workstation 500a

10. Boot problem on personal workstation 500a

11. Problems with X on a Personal Workstation 500a

12. Personal Workstation 500a

13. FS: Dec Alpha Personal Workstation 500a