Graphic card issues

Post by Sebastian Crame » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks!

I got a simple question which I cannot find an answer for:

What "modern" grfx card works with a Linux/Alpha Box (esp. SX164)?
NVidia don't (I know that!)

Is there a FAQ for c.o.l.a.?!

--
CU
Sebastian

Graphic card issues

Post by Jeff Stur » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:16:16

> What "modern" grfx card works with a Linux/Alpha Box (esp. SX164)?
> NVidia don't (I know that!)

A Voodoo3 PCI works great in my SX.  I've heard that Matrox PCI cards
also work well.

Quote:> Is there a FAQ for c.o.l.a.?!

None that I know of.  There's a lot of info on www.alphalinux.org
though.

Jeff

1. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Hello,

I am in the process of building a "second" PC which will run Linux,
most likely RedHat 6.0 or above.  One of the applications I intend to
run will do some intensive rendering/surfacing/CAD type stuff and runs
with the MESA library under Linux.

The Vodoo3 3000 cards are inexpensive enough for me to consider buying
one - and I know there is a Linux driver under development for this
chipset.

I also know that XFree86 has some support for 3Dlabs chips such as the
Permedia 2 on the ever popular under Windows Fire GL 1000.  So, I am
looking for opinions from those out there with some experience in this
area on the following questions:

1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
1000.)
2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
chipset?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Matthew

2. Cromemco

3. New graphics card + XFree86 issues

4. Flickering Monitor

5. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

6. Mail not delivered yet, still trying

7. Re-activate onboard graphic chip with AGP graphic card plugged?

8. Packet filter statistics question

9. A Graphics card and adapter to give 24-bit graphics + 64k colours.

10. UDMA Drive issues on boot related Ethernet card issue

11. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

12. spider graphics card, promise EIDE card, adaptec 2842a = HELP!

13. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc