auto_action set to boot :(

Post by Defian » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:33:21

Ok. I thought I was being clever by setting the auto_action to boot and
having my server boot automatically.  I want to update my srm now and I
don't have a halt button on my system.  Does anyone know how to stop my
system from autobooting?

Thanks in advance,

Carl Fehres

auto_action set to boot :(

Post by JJ » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:00:00

when you power up the box,"""" keep typing ctrl-c """" (hold down the ctrl
key while depressing the "C" key) while it's going through self-test, it
will drop into the console on completion of self test.

JJ

Quote:> Ok. I thought I was being clever by setting the auto_action to boot and
> having my server boot automatically.  I want to update my srm now and I
> don't have a halt button on my system.  Does anyone know how to stop my
> system from autobooting?

> Thanks in advance,

> Carl Fehres

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. Questions about kernel scheduler??

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. where did xinitd come from?

5. inetd dies :(:(

6. NET_RX_SOFTIRQ preemption.

7. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

8. release??

9. Can't set dumpdevice :(

10. Not possible to set program in the background :( &

11. Linux won't boot!! :(

12. Help! Probelms w/new kernel booting :(