Kernel Opimization on a DS20E?

Post by Brian Zurbac » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:21:31

Hi All,

Worked out some issues with the install of Suse 8.1 on my DS20E.  My boot
disk is a Barracuda ST39173W conncted to an Adaptec 2940UW.  I'm using
this card because the DS20E's built-in U2W SCSI would only connect to the
ST39173W at 11.6MB/second, the 2940UW gets the full available 40MB/sec.

Basically, after my initial install, the kernel was panicking and halting
the boot process when the attempt to mount the /root filesystem failed.  I
could still boot from the SuSE boot/rescue CD into the installed system.
I tried all manner of configuration to the SRM, aboot, etc. before finally
figuring out the cause of the issue.

Did some Googling and traced the diffy to missing SCSI/filesystem modules
in the default 2.4.19 kernel (as it was installed by Yast2).

Got 2.4.21 source, compiled with gcc, replaced the vmlinux file in my /boot
directory with the newly compiled kernel, presto - everything works now and
I can boot right from the SRM.

The only problem is, the new kernel is 10-15% slower.  Disk access times
seem much improved, but the system GUI really gets jittery when I run
multiple apps, like it would if a CPU-intensive process was running at a
nice of -12 or -14 in the background.  This was not the case with the
stock kernel when I had to boot from the rescue CD into my installed distro.

I suspect I have compiled a kernel that is too generic.  I haven't found
much contiguous info regarding Linux kernel optimization on Alpha.  Is
this something I need to change with some compiler flags (and if so, what
are they) or do I simply edit a config file somewhere to reflect my
machine's architecture (264DP) before compiling?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I'm at the 'knows enough to be
dangerous and finds the rest using Google' stage with Linux <lol>.

Machine:
Compaq AlphaServer DS20E
1GB RAM (4x256MB)
Single EV6 500MHz/4MB Cache

Distro:
SuSE 8.1, available from

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/

Best Regards,

Brian S. Zurbach

Kernel Opimization on a DS20E?

Post by Brian Zurbac » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:21:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

[...]

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

Kernel Opimization on a DS20E?

Post by Brian Zurbac » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:21:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10) From:

[...]

Admin of SHS.

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

1. Kernel compilation on AlphaServer DS20E

Hi,

I have recieved AS DS20E from Compaq for testing.

Everything works fine but I have problems with correct kernel compilation.
When I am configuring kernel (2.2.14) using menuconfig there is a option
regarding architecture of the system:
General Setup -> Alpha system type (CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC)
Which option should I use for DS20E ?
(I have SMP trurned on)

When I chose Generic - compilation fails on file:
sys_nautilius.c :

sys_nautilus.c: In function `nautilus_kill_arch':
sys_nautilus.c:94: warning: implicit declaration of function `CMOS_WRITE'
sys_nautilus.c:94: `RTC_FREQ_SELECT' undeclared (first use in this function)
sys_nautilus.c:94: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sys_nautilus.c:94: for each function it appears in.)
sys_nautilus.c:97: warning: implicit declaration of function `CMOS_READ'
sys_nautilus.c:97: `RTC_CONTROL' undeclared (first use in this function)
sys_nautilus.c:98: `RTC_PIE' undeclared (first use in this function)
sys_nautilus.c:100: `RTC_INTR_FLAGS' undeclared (first use in this function)
sys_nautilus.c:113: warning: passing arg 4 of `irongate_hose_write_config_byte'
makes integer from pointer without a cast
sys_nautilus.c: In function `naut_sys_machine_check':
sys_nautilus.c:431: warning: implicit declaration of function
`irongate_pci_clr_err'
sys_nautilus.c: In function `nautilus_machine_check':
sys_nautilus.c:501: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 2)
make[1]: *** [sys_nautilus.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/ramdisk/linux-2.2.14/arch/alpha/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_arch/alpha/kernel] Error 2

AFAIK Nautilius isn't correct architecture for AS DS20E - It lacks SRM and SMP
support.

When I chose specific architecture (I have tried Sable and Rawhide) everything
compiles fine, but system hungs at boot.

So which type is correct for DS20E ?

My configuration:

AlphaServer DS20E
2 * EV6 500MHz
2GB RAM
Linux RedHat 6.1
Kernel sources: 2.2.14

--
_____

ABA, Krakow - www.aba.krakow.pl

2. Q: FDDI-Driver for SK FDDI-FP

3. KZPAC-CB problem on DS20E

4. mkefs

5. DS20E w/RAID?

6. Printing problem

7. Looking for some DS20e parts, possible trade for other DEC gear or ?

8. tape drives

9. Incoming ! Ds20e Systems

10. DS20e systems - we're buying

11. OEM Hard Disk in DS20E

12. linux does not find second cpu on DS20E

13. 3th part FC 2Gb adapter for DS20E with OSF1 v5.1