SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

Post by Bob Persch » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Here's the specifics.

- UDB 166 w/ 32 MBytes of  DEC parity RAM. No floppy. External DEC RZ26
1Gbyte disk
- CD drive was borrowed from a DEC Alpha I have running VMS
- RedHat 6.2
- CD-ROM booted w/ command boot dka500 -fi /kernels/generic.gz -fl
root=/dev/scd0

After the point in the boot process where unused kernel memory is freed I
get this.

SCSI : aborting command due to timeout: pid 55, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun
0 0x28 00 00 14 24 d0 00 001000
ncr 53c8xx_abort: pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 55) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
ncr53c8xx_reset pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
ncr53c810-0: restart (scsi reset)
ncr53c810-0-<5,*>: device did not report sync
sro: CD-ROM not ready. Make sure you have a disc in the drive
CD-ROM i/o error
Kernel panic: No init found

Should I just buy a floppy drive for this thing and install that way?  Any
others ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Post by h0l0gRa » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> Here's the specifics.

> - UDB 166 w/ 32 MBytes of  DEC parity RAM. No floppy. External DEC RZ26
> 1Gbyte disk
> - CD drive was borrowed from a DEC Alpha I have running VMS
> - RedHat 6.2
> - CD-ROM booted w/ command boot dka500 -fi /kernels/generic.gz -fl
> root=/dev/scd0

> After the point in the boot process where unused kernel memory is freed I
> get this.

> SCSI : aborting command due to timeout: pid 55, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun
> 0 0x28 00 00 14 24 d0 00 001000
> ncr 53c8xx_abort: pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 55) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> ncr53c8xx_reset pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
> ncr53c810-0: restart (scsi reset)
> ncr53c810-0-<5,*>: device did not report sync
> sro: CD-ROM not ready. Make sure you have a disc in the drive
> CD-ROM i/o error
> Kernel panic: No init found

> Should I just buy a floppy drive for this thing and install that way?  Any
> others ideas?

> Thanks,
> Bob

Looks like your CD is broken/scratched....

SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

Post by Bob Perscha » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Looks like your CD is broken/scratched....

Happens on two different CDs, downloaded from two different iso images, and
burned on seperate machines.

Bob

Sorry for the double original post folks.  Usually my news server shows post
within minutes.  After 90 minutes, I didn't see the first one so I fired
another one off.

Gotta cut down on the caffeine. ;-)

Post by Topher Sandalwoo » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> Here's the specifics.

> - UDB 166 w/ 32 MBytes of  DEC parity RAM. No floppy. External DEC RZ26
> 1Gbyte disk
> - CD drive was borrowed from a DEC Alpha I have running VMS
> - RedHat 6.2
> - CD-ROM booted w/ command boot dka500 -fi /kernels/generic.gz -fl
> root=/dev/scd0

> After the point in the boot process where unused kernel memory is freed I
> get this.

> SCSI : aborting command due to timeout: pid 55, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun
> 0 0x28 00 00 14 24 d0 00 001000
> ncr 53c8xx_abort: pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 55) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> ncr53c8xx_reset pid=55 serial_number=61 serial_number_at_timeout=61
> ncr53c810-0: restart (scsi reset)
> ncr53c810-0-<5,*>: device did not report sync
> sro: CD-ROM not ready. Make sure you have a disc in the drive
> CD-ROM i/o error
> Kernel panic: No init found

> Should I just buy a floppy drive for this thing and install that way?  Any
> others ideas?

> Thanks,
> Bob

Sounds alot like a problem I had with a DECstation 5000/200 (Yes, an old
MIPS box) installing NetBSD... ID 5 used to be the ID given to the tape drive.
Switching to 4 or 6 solved the problem in my case. I think the kernel was
thinking the CD was a Tape. I never really dug into it, but changing the ID
and being absolutly sure about term and term power, parity, and the
ump*-gajillion other settings SCSI lets us play with fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

-TSW

SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

Post by Bob Perscha » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Sounds alot like a problem I had with a DECstation 5000/200 (Yes, an old
> MIPS box) installing NetBSD... ID 5 used to be the ID given to the tape
drive.
> Switching to 4 or 6 solved the problem in my case. I think the kernel was
> thinking the CD was a Tape. I never really dug into it, but changing the
ID
> and being absolutly sure about term and term power, parity, and the
> ump*-gajillion other settings SCSI lets us play with fixed the problem.

> Hope this helps.

> -TSW

This crossed my mind too.  Same problem with any SCSI address.

Thanks,
bob

SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

Post by Bob Perscha » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> How about termination and term power?

Ok on both accounts.  Thanks

Post by Michal Jaegerma » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

: Sounds alot like a problem I had with a DECstation 5000/200 (Yes, an old
: MIPS box) installing NetBSD... ID 5 used to be the ID given to the tape drive.
: Switching to 4 or 6 solved the problem in my case.

Linux kernel does not have preassigned IDs for things like tape or CD.
Devices are scanned on boot.

There are older drives which has distinct problems with reading CD-RWs
(different reflectivity) and especially if there is more than 600 MB of
data on a disk.  And really often cables and terminations ARE the
problem.

  Michal

SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

Post by Bob Perscha » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>There are older drives which has distinct problems with reading CD-RWs
>(different reflectivity) and especially if there is more than 600 MB of
>data on a disk.  And really often cables and terminations ARE the
>problem.

 > Michal

Now that's interesting... this *could* be my problem.  I'm using a very old
DEC 1x or 2x CD player.  It's the only external one I have.  Me thinks I
will have to borrow a more recent vintage internal drive and try it.  Of
course I'll also have to figure out where to get 5 volts off the Multia/UDB.

Thanks,
Bob

1. CD-ROM (on NCR SCSI) hangs during boot

I have an ASUS SP3G with a Connor CFP1060S and a Media Vision CDR-H93MV
on the NCR 53C810 SCSI controller. I am tring to install Slackware 2.1
from CD-ROM. When I try to boot from the Slackware "scsi" boot floppy-disk
I get the following messages, then everything hangs:

scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : at PCI bus 0, device 1,  function 0
scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : warning : revision of 2 is greater than 1.
scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : NCR53c810 at memory 0xfbfef000, io 0xe800, irq 11
scsi0 : using io mapped access
scsi0 : using initiator ID 7
scsi0 : using edge triggered interrupts.
scsi0 ; burst length 8
scsi0 : using 40MHz SCSI clock
scsi0 : m_to_n = )x98, n_to_m = 0xa8, n_to_n = 0xb8
scsi0 : NCR code relocated to 0x3702c0
scsi0 : testing
scsi0 : test 1
scsi0 : tests complete.
scsi0 : NCR53c{7,8}xx (rel 3)
scsi : 1 hosts.
  Vendor: CONNER   Model: CFP1060S 1.05GB  Rev: 2035
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: MEDIAVIS Model: CDR-H93MV        Rev: 1.31
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, id 6, lun 0
scsi0 : target 6 lun 1 request sense failed, performing reset.
scsi0 : DANGER : NCR53c7xx_reset is NOP

then everything stops... :-(

Any ideas?

--

Rick Hewett.            PGP 22A93415: 95C4DE15 E7A048A0  7EC27CC0 26136413

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

2. Authentication methods ... ?

3. RH 6.0 hangs during install (AHA 2940, SCSI CD-ROM)

4. IEEE GPIB/HPIB bus driver for Linux?

5. UDB (Multia) clock is 20 years ahead during install

6. Q about creating packages/patches

7. BOOT.IMG won't boot CD on RedHat install

8. Deny rlogin to a linux firewall running IP Masq?

9. CD-ROM problem during RedHat 6 install

10. SCSI problem during install, Redhat Linux 5.1

11. Redhat 4.1 re-boots during install

12. Redhat 8.0: Keyboard not responding during boot after install

13. CANT MAKE BOOT DISK DURING INSTALL IN REDHAT 5.1