alpha Xl 266 and Linux

Post by Nilsson Henri » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to install Linux on a Alpha XL 266 without having
installed NT?

And what shoud I tink about to get it installed?

alpha Xl 266 and Linux

Post by Kai Schmi » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to install Linux on a Alpha XL 266 without having
>installed NT?

Yes it is. I had some problems getting the right images with Res Hat
5.1 but after facings several problems it worked. I suppose you are
talking about NT as operating system or do you mean the ARC Firmware?

Quote:>And what shoud I tink about to get it installed?

Milo Partition, SWAP.

--
Bye!

"That's why we are on this ship to begin with! It becomes our problem
 when the machines can't handle it!"     Capt. Dallas, USCSS Nostromo

alpha Xl 266 and Linux

Post by Chris Kaminsk » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

I actually have a question concerning the Xl series.  Is this the series
that debuted after the decpc axp 150's?  I have several AXP 150's that I'm
trying to get running with redhat 5.2 (Not alot of effort yet, still reading
the docs), and I have on of the machines (No name on the front, haven't
opened it yet), that comes in minitower, reminiscent of the original DECpc,
but slightly newer/sleeker looking.  I though this was one of the avanti
models, but this is a 233, and the Linux/ALPHA hardware faq's don't mention
a 233 avanti.

Can anyone give me a heads up???
I can easily grab information off the board/cpu if necessary.

-cfk

(BTW: Kai, an Alien fan, huh??)

> >Is it possible to install Linux on a Alpha XL 266 without having
> >installed NT?

> Yes it is. I had some problems getting the right images with Res Hat
> 5.1 but after facings several problems it worked. I suppose you are
> talking about NT as operating system or do you mean the ARC Firmware?

> >And what shoud I tink about to get it installed?

> Milo Partition, SWAP.

> --
> Bye!

> "That's why we are on this ship to begin with! It becomes our problem
>  when the machines can't handle it!"     Capt. Dallas, USCSS Nostromo

1. help on alpha xl 266 (alpha proc)

I han an XL 266 shipped with an alpha processor.

I'm able to boot with milo.

i try to start the kernel (i wanne to install red hat 7.0 downloaded from
linuxiso.org)
my partition are

sda1 10Mb fat
sda2 10Mb fat
sda3 256Mb swap
sda4 4Gb ex2 (root)

boor sr0:kernels-vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda4

2. problem with "save workspace": follow-up the previous posting

3. Linux on ALPHA XL 266

4. WEIRD last/who problems.. and suggestions ?

5. Installing Linux on alpha XL 266

6. cancel <3738977e.0@newsman.viper.net>

7. Alpha XL 266 slower than a PPro 180??

8. Sound programming. Is there a library for it?

9. Alpha XL 266 questions

10. Install woes with RedHat 6.0 on Alpha XL 266

11. Redhat 6.1 on Alpha XL 266

12. Alpha XL-266 and Matrox Millenium problem

13. Software recommendation wanted for Alpha XL 266