why wont my soundcard work?

Post by ERN » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 05:16:46

Hello ! I'm from Sweden and i have a strange problem. I can only play cd's every
thing else sounds like crap(strange noises with are related to noise which is
played) also when i do a "cat /dev/sndstat" i get "cat: /dev/sndstat: No such
device" even when root. This is  strange while cating my sound card is makings
sounds...

No to the hardware.
the computer is a Ruffian(IE a SAMSUNG UX2) running debian unstable/testing.
I have tried with two different soundblaster one "sb 16 scsi"(not a pnp card)
and a Sound blaster 16 pnp or a awe32 (can't tell).
On the subject on tested kernels have tested
versions 2.2.9 2.2.17 2.4.4 2.4.5 with the same results.

What I'm doing wrong? I'm going slowly mad becoruse of this, if it all
fails. imacs are sopoues to be usefrendly.

PLZ exuscse my bad English. Now if ispell wasn't that bad...

        -->ERN
           \-> can't think of any thing..

why wont my soundcard work?

Post by Juhana Paavol » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:29:26

> Hello ! I'm from Sweden and i have a strange problem. I can only play cd's every
> thing else sounds like crap(strange noises with are related to noise which is
> played) also when i do a "cat /dev/sndstat" i get "cat: /dev/sndstat: No such
> device" even when root. This is  strange while cating my sound card is makings
> sounds...
> No to the hardware.
> the computer is a Ruffian(IE a SAMSUNG UX2) running debian unstable/testing.
> I have tried with two different soundblaster one "sb 16 scsi"(not a pnp card)
> and a Sound blaster 16 pnp or a awe32 (can't tell).
> On the subject on tested kernels have tested
> versions 2.2.9 2.2.17 2.4.4 2.4.5 with the same results.
> What I'm doing wrong? I'm going slowly mad becoruse of this, if it all
> fails. imacs are sopoues to be usefrendly.
> PLZ exuscse my bad English. Now if ispell wasn't that bad...

Are I/O,IRQ and DMA addresses correct ?
What you get when trying to load module ? (eg. modprobe sb)

All SB's should work ,I'm using AWE64 in XLT ,works perfectly.