System clock running 1/2 speed

Post by Mark Paul » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I have been puzzling over clock problems.  I help maintain an
LX164 533MHz for our research group running RH4.2, and we are
having clock problems.  I've got the system set up to properly
read the ARC console upon bootup and get the date&time, but from
there on it runs slow.  Doing simple timing tests using 'date'
shows that the system clock is running at 1/2 speed compared to
the "real" world.  It's not a problem with the motherboard clock
as 'clock -r' gives the correct time.

Any suggestions?

I suspect I will have to learn how to rebuild the kernel...

mark

Research Assistant                      Univ. of WI - Milwaukee

Post by Ron Trolar » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi everyone,

> I have been puzzling over clock problems.  I help maintain an
> LX164 533MHz for our research group running RH4.2, and we are
> having clock problems.  I've got the system set up to properly
> read the ARC console upon bootup and get the date&time, but from
> there on it runs slow.  Doing simple timing tests using 'date'
> shows that the system clock is running at 1/2 speed compared to
> the "real" world.  It's not a problem with the motherboard clock
> as 'clock -r' gives the correct time.

> Any suggestions?

> I suspect I will have to learn how to rebuild the kernel...

> mark

> Research Assistant                      Univ. of WI - Milwaukee

  Is the kernel getting time from ARC?

I had a problem on a few alphas because 4.2 didn't want to use the ARC
clock it pulled it out of somewhere else...... it would give a date
something like 50 years in the future.. ohwell

good luck...

System clock running 1/2 speed

: >
:
: I had a problem on a few alphas because 4.2 didn't want to use the ARC
: clock it pulled it out of somewhere else...... it would give a date
: something like 50 years in the future.. ohwell

I do not think that this it.  You machine is simply badly configured
this is not the case for them.

Some LX boards seem to have an interrupt structure improperly initialized.
Try to substititute milo (and linload if you do not have version 1.5)
by the latest one from ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha.
Use the latest ones or even these from "test" directories.  This may
make a difference.

  Michal

1. Clock speeds and system freeze-ups...

I'd looked at some items in the newsgroups about segment violations and
"signal 6" and "signal 11" internal compiler errors having to do with
overheating Pentiums. I'd  had similar things happen, in addition to
the system freezing up.

The guy who put my PC together had the clock jumpered up to 120 MHz and
the Pentium is rated to 75 MHz.  Of course, he did this with my
knowledge,
and he wasn't trying to bilk me.  Anyway, it works fine with Windoze,
and Linux, until I really push it with some real multitasking, or try
to build a kernel. Basically, I was in denial: "CAN'T be the hardware!
It would've showed up a long time ago! Yeah, I KNOW it's pushing the
envelope already but..."

I'm stepped back to 100 MHz, and things are purring along.
So, lesson learned for me. It's not a black or white case whether
things will work when you crank up the clock speed...some spooky
things can happen.

Just though I'd pass this on.

Kudos to Thomas Lostaunau for hitting the nail right on the head.

|      Tracy L. Fulghum, P.E.(Fla.)        N.C. State University       |

|                                          Box 7911                    |
|                                          Raleigh, NC 27695-7911      |

2. Trapping Control Characters [HELP!!]

3. Incorrect speed of system clock

4. command??

5. System clock speed whacko with XView 3l5

6. 1.2.13 errors

7. system clock speed too high?

8. Xterm question

9. System Clock Speed

10. System clock runs slow

11. system clock/bios clock setting

12. System clock runs slow.

13. how to sync system clock to CMOS clock