upgrade LX164 bios to SRM

Post by Dave Lan » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:51:11

I'm now back from vacation and am taking the advice of Michal
Jaegermann and trying to upgrade the bios from ARC to SRM to make the
installation of Linux easier on my Alpha system based on the LX164
motherboard.

Not having much luck. Details are as follows:

Downloaded:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164lx/lx...
Renamed to fwupdate.exe and upgraded using the bios menu item. The
floppy loads the file for a minute or so, then after a startup screen
the screen turns blue and the text "eb.ea.e9.e8.e7." appears on the
top line and the machine stops responding.

I then read the motherboard manual to check the setting of the
write-enable jumper. It was fine (tried it both ways just in case the
docs were wrong).

I then tried installing the latest ARC bios (V5.70). It installed fine
upgrading my system from 5.68 to 5.70.

I then tried the upgrade with the new bios - same message.

Anyone have any suggestions?

... Dave

upgrade LX164 bios to SRM

Post by Oliver Rah » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:30:00

> I'm now back from vacation and am taking the advice of Michal
> Jaegermann and trying to upgrade the bios from ARC to SRM to make the
> installation of Linux easier on my Alpha system based on the LX164
> motherboard.

is it really necessary to change to SRM? Are there any advantages besides
easier installation?
I'm just asking because i installed debian on a LX164 and it works like a
charm. I never had a SRM bios so i don't know if it is easier to install
linux with it.

Oli

upgrade LX164 bios to SRM

Post by Dave Lan » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:45:31

>is it really necessary to change to SRM? Are there any advantages besides
>easier installation?
>I'm just asking because i installed debian on a LX164 and it works like a
>charm. I never had a SRM bios so i don't know if it is easier to install
>linux with it.

Hi Oliver,

Given than RH 7.2 no longer supports milo (directly) I was told to use
SRM to make life easier. Also, compaq's step-by-step instructions
assume SRM bios.

I've spent way too much time already trying to complete an install of
Alpha RH using AlphaBios and milo and while I can complete the install
phase, I can't figure out how to boot the sucker afterwards.

... Dave

upgrade LX164 bios to SRM

Post by Oliver Rah » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:42:33

> I've spent way too much time already trying to complete an install of
> Alpha RH using AlphaBios and milo and while I can complete the install
> phase, I can't figure out how to boot the sucker afterwards.

How did you try to boot it after installation?

Maby you want to try Debian or SuSe 8.1 for Alpha. The installation
instructions for debian are good and perhaps you find some usefull hints.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/install
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/milo/README

Oli

1. The vga problem in upgrading alpha bios to srm console at 164lx

Hello,

I wonder that srm console cannot recognize a vga card when I upgrade alpha
bios to srm console using pc164lx. When I completed bios upgrading, the
machine requested me to reboot.
After rebooting, I saw the signal in board but not the screen image. My vga
card is accelspitfire(cirrus logic). I think that
the vga may rise the problem which hinder the upgrading firmware. Anybody
has a idea about this? I think that I should order Matrox millenium II or
voodoo 3000 pci.
Voodoo 3000 pci is recognized by srm console?

Bye

2. What Distro

3. Tru64 5.1a and LX164 SRM Console

4. Linksys pci2 combo network card

5. Several confusing docs for AlphaBIOS->SRM on LX164

6. Security

7. AlphaBIOS to SRM failed on LX164. Help!

8. 2.2.7-STABLE and IE browser security ???

9. lx164 bios update troubles

10. How fo I boot Redhat 6.1 from the SRM Bios

11. Alphabios-SRM firmware upgrade - no display PC164LX

12. srm upgrade for an Alpha 266XL

13. Botched SRM firmware upgrade