Jensen COPYBOOT fails!

Post by Adrian Case » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to copy jensen.img (RH5.0) to a Jensen using copyboot.  99%
of the time it fails with the following error -:

INPUT DEVICE ERROR: STATUS=8

It only ever fails after exactly 720 blocks.  It is a 2.88MB disk drive
which reads my 1.44 floppy with copyboot and
minilabel OK.

Is this a hardware problem or what?.

On the occasions that copyboot works, aboot fails.   I want to try other
things to get around the aboot problem but I can't
until I get copyboot to consistently copy the kernel image to the HDD.

Help....
Adrian Casey.

Jensen COPYBOOT fails!

Post by Nils Faerbe » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: > I'm trying to copy jensen.img (RH5.0) to a Jensen using copyboot.  99%
: > of the time it fails with the following error -:
: > INPUT DEVICE ERROR: STATUS=8
: > It only ever fails after exactly 720 blocks.  It is a 2.88MB disk drive
: > which reads my 1.44 floppy with copyboot and
: > minilabel OK.
: > Is this a hardware problem or what?.
: You have to set the Floppy type to 2.88 MB in the NT console setup.
: It's available from the 'Set up the system' menue.
Especially you should mention that this setup is lost under various
conditions! Check it even if yout think you did it ;(

: HTH, Martin
CU
  nils

--

Student of computer science      http://www.si.unix-ag.org/~nils/
Unix user group, University of Siegen, Germany

Siegen ... the arctic rain forest!
--

1. Kernel 2.1.x fails to compile... and fails... and fails...

Hi,

None of the 2.1 series of kernels could be compiled with my configuration.
2.1.16 fails in at least 8 places (!!):

        drivers/char/esp.c
        net/fddi.c
        arch/i386/kernel/bios32.c
        drivers/char/pcwd.c
        drivers/net/wic.c
        drivers/net/strip.c
        drivers/net/de620.c
        drivers/isdn/isdn_common.c

If someone's interested, I can mail my config file(s). Basically, I've
enabled every driver I need to boot and compile everything else as
module (if possible). Oh yes, SMP is enabled too.

BTW, shouldn't SMP=1 be the default now, and SMP=0 only necessary when
space is critical?

Hans-Joachim

--
    Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:  Never use your thumb for a rule.
    You'll either hit it with a hammer or get a splinter in it.

2. How to force memory pages into physical RAM ?

3. Eisa Configuration Disk for JENSEN is Corrupt !!1

4. Debugging without using Debugger

5. help!! - linux install problem on Jensen

6. Networking an iMac and a Linux box - printing not working.

7. Anyone running Linux on Dec Alpha AXP150 (jensen)?

8. Linux Games

9. EISA configuration problem in Jensen

10. SCSI controller recommendations for Jensen

11. Problem with postgres and jensen

12. old jensen(alpha) motherboard

13. Jensen and Linux installation (once more...)