Iprobe too --- any success anyone?

Post by bme.. » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Now that the DEC maths libraries made it to the world, I was hoping for my
PC164/433 machine to once again beat my Celeron 450a machines at my rather
FPU intensive stuff. Alas, it doesn't.

So, I went off and got the iprobe distribution to finally figure out
what takes it so long (I _suspect_ it is the plethora of function calls
through C++ virtual tables, but who knows....). Downloaded it, installed
it, started it, and it dumped core. Oops!

Well, I did a bit of digging, and found the spot in the source where
a call is made to sscanf with three "%d" in the format, but only two
pointers (it's in the GetOsVersion call --- can't get to it right now,
see below). Huh?

Fixed that, and now it ran a lot further, only to bomb out with an
"instruction exception 4" or so. Unfortunately, this leaves the reference
count for the driver module at 1, so it can't be unloaded.

Many reboots later ;-), I found that it bombed out when calling PAL code.
I was booting through an oldish lilo, so I downloaded the latest (October)
one. No change. Then I changed my system over to SRM --- which leaves me
without the ability to boot (the kernel from the RedHat 5.2 installation
disk just hangs after finding my 2940UW controller, and I was planning on
booting with that and then prepare a bootdisk with my normal, 2.2pre7ac4
kernel).

Now, I could go back to ARC, and simply give up on iprobe. However, I
think iprobe could be very useful for me. So my question is --- has anyone
gotten iprobe to work on a PC164 board? If so, how?

Bernie

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995